Fansub's for Anime.

transmaster

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I prefer to listen to the original Japanese voice actors in Anime that I watch. Most of the time they have English subtitles. These subtitles are not always correct in syntax word for word translations. Most of the time you can find Fan Subtitles "fansub" these are subtitles translated by Japanese fluent in English. compare fansub's to what is found on the English subtitle are you will find a big difference. There is one "Negima" a series that ran from January to June 2005. The story of a wizard prodigy perhaps 16 years old teaching in an all girls school. This is a style of anime called Ecchi lots of mild suggestive sexual overtones. In the FUNimation dub the Ecchi aspect was not alluded to. But the fansub you hear things like the young ladies plotting to get into this young wizards pants, nothing goes beyond plotting stage. One hilarious scene a group of ladies where in a subterranean library. They discovered they weighted too much for the elevator to work. So they lightened the load by doffing all of their cloths. The Negima series is an Anime that illustrates some the differences between US, and Japanese sensibilities. There are online libraries of Fansub's and players like VLC have provisions to add them.
http://myanimelist.net/fansub-groups.php#

I've been watching fansub anime since high school, so about 15 years. It's gotten to the point where I can understand basic conversation. Problem is Japanese humor is based heavily on puns, which don't come through in translation, or come through really poorly. I actually never realized how much I was missing until I rewatched some with my wife who's fluent. She'd chuckle sometimes when the subs don't seem funny at all, and I'd need an explanation.

Back
Top Bottom