Fantastic time at Fredt300b's

Wardsweb

Behind The Curtain
Staff member
Admin
Well I was fortunate enough to spend some extended time at Fredt300b's this weekend. I carted my Bottlehead rig over and we spent the day swapping gear and speakers around for some quality listening.

The Linus 2's are beautifully executed and a most visually impressive speaker. They have a huge soundstage and are somewhat open. They are a little weak in the bass, much to my surprise with that many drivers. I would give these a wholehearted two thumbs up, IF I had not also heard his Eros MKII's.

The Eros MKII's are a remarkable speaker to say the least. They took everything we threw at them and came out shinning on the other side. The have excellent imaging, crisp highs and fantatic tight bass. They also did well with my Bottlehead 2A3 Paramours. In reality they could use a little more power as they couldn't handle a pipe organ in full crescendo without some distortion. Fred's 300B was a better match here. So, I think I'm going to try my hand at building a set of these as a future project. Did I say, I really liked these?

Many thanks to Fred and his wife for a most excellent weekend.

You are most welcome, Luther. I should mention that I was still experimenting with stuffing in the Linus 2's when you heard them. I later found I had overstuffed them quite a bit, resulting in some subtle but irritating midbass / lower midrange distortion. Much better now, but you are right about the Linus versus the Eros; in spite of 18 drivers in the Linus versus three in the Eros, the better quality drivers combined with the bass response of a vented floorstander make the Eros a better speaker in every area except soundstage size and efficiency. You should come back sometime to hear the Linus now that it's set up correctly; quite a difference!

Back
Top Bottom