Fave Pioneer TT?

T

twintwelve1484

Ok, what's your favorite Pioneer turntable?

I've lusted after PL-530's since they were new. One of these days, I'll get one!

Right now I have a PL-55DX....gotta say that that is one fine turntable as well!

That's probably my favorite, but I also like the PL-71. Nice, big, heavy, DD, nice looking faux wood.

A buddy in high school had a PL-A45D, and that was a pretty nice table.

I almost got a PL 71 back in the day until the Tannoy/Micro line came out.

PL-50, belt drive with a huge wood base and motor. I grew up with one since it was my parents. Hope to get one of my own someday.

The PL-71 looks really cool in a vintage macho kind of way. Kinda like a Sansui G9000 reciever. Don't know what they sound like, but I bet one could get you laid. HA!

If the PL-71 could get you laid, then the Tannoy Micro TM 55 DD would get you so much trim you'd be fighting them off. :naughty:

I have a PL-12D-ii that I got from eBay UK for £1.70 :banana:

Just had to put a new cart AT-110e and Drive Belt on it an it's a good 'un. Sounds pretty damn decent. So much so that my mate is eyeing it up to replace his aging Technics SL-D3.

These are pretty cool

I like my PL570 real well..I have a PL530 also and I must admit it is one of the nicest looking tables I've seen..classic all around. PL12's..I'd kinda like to have one just because, it's simple..basic..and reputed to be a fine vinyl machine. I dunno, never had one

p.s. not *my* PL 570 in the pic, just the best pic I have of someone elses.

Last edited:
Pioneer PL-600

With the exception of the one Elite Model and, possibly, the PL-1000, my vote for the best Pioneer TT goes to the PL-600. Bear in mind that there were actually two PL-600s. The later model was of the cheap black plastic variety. But the one I'm talking about was built to "broadcast standard" levels and weighs a ton. The base is all thick metal with anti-resonance properties. it has a dual-isolated suspension and 4-point gimbal tonearm. The platter weighs more than 3.5 lbs. And, with Quartz lock, it sounds about as good as any Direct Drive I've heard.

I thought the the PL-670 might be the better model, but, after buying a PL-670 and noting the cheap plastic base and other evidence of cost-cutting, I quickly deemed it not what I wanted an sold it. I own three (3) PL-600s, one of which is a parts unit for the other two. It has no vices that I am aware of....and, because it is confused with the other PL-600, I can be had very cheaply.

Here's a pic of mine:

I too, like the older, silver PL-600's (just got a very nice working one on eBay for $37) and now have two of them, but my absolute favorite is the PL-630. It is also big and silver, and weigh's a ton and I also have two of those. I also have a couple of the PL-530's that love as well. My vote for favorite goes to the PL-630 though.

Retro

You like that one?

DS1784 said:
PL-570X the black version

Glad to hear it's one of your fav Pioneer tables. Felt good to send it on to another AK'er that would appreciate it more than me!

:thmbsp:

I'd have to say the PL518. Aside from it's notorious rubber-rotting problem, it's awesome. Which is easy to say because it's the only Pioneer turntable I have. :lmao:

The best one is maybe the PL-590 + PA-1000 or 5000, but I don´t have it :no:

I love my PL-630, which is the best to fit to the SPEC-Components and my PL-55X to fit to my SA-9100+TX-9100........

My PL-505 is (looking) very expensive, super performance, but made of pressed wood with rosewood veneer :no:

vintagestereo said:
With the exception of the one Elite Model and, possibly, the PL-1000, my vote for the best Pioneer TT goes to the PL-600. Bear in mind that there were actually two PL-600s. The later model was of the cheap black plastic variety. But the one I'm talking about was built to "broadcast standard" levels and weighs a ton. The base is all thick metal with anti-resonance properties. it has a dual-isolated suspension and 4-point gimbal tonearm. The platter weighs more than 3.5 lbs. And, with Quartz lock, it sounds about as good as any Direct Drive I've heard.

I thought the the PL-670 might be the better model, but, after buying a PL-670 and noting the cheap plastic base and other evidence of cost-cutting, I quickly deemed it not what I wanted an sold it. I own three (3) PL-600s, one of which is a parts unit for the other two. It has no vices that I am aware of....and, because it is confused with the other PL-600, I can be had very cheaply.

Here's a pic of mine:

I have the silver PL-600, and would really like to find a PLC-590 with the PA-1000 arm.

Doc

Retro Stereo said:
I too, like the older, silver PL-600's (just got a very nice working one on eBay for $37) and now have two of them, but my absolute favorite is the PL-630. It is also big and silver, and weigh's a ton and I also have two of those. I also have a couple of the PL-530's that love as well. My vote for favorite goes to the PL-630 though.

Retro

Back in the day, I started with a nice, simple PL-12D-II. It was a great machine. Traded up to a PL-630. Now that was a primo machine. TOTL all around. Pioneer never made a TT with better specs. Had the same specs as the PL-C590 w/ its Tonearm, but with full auto. Gets me goin' just thinkin about it. Lookin' for one for the new system I'm puttin together. Got a serious jones for it, too (and a couple pair of HPM-100s too).

Rich P

Kevin's Rack said:
I'd have to say the PL518. Aside from it's notorious rubber-rotting problem, it's awesome. Which is easy to say because it's the only Pioneer turntable I have. :lmao:

I'll second that. Except that I have two - one for parts and both with foot fungus. (I found some rubber standoffs that were close, not quite long enough and and put clear carpet-savers under them. They look decent and do the trick.)

waylyn5945 said:
I'll second that. Except that I have two - one for parts and both with foot fungus. (I found some rubber standoffs that were close, not quite long enough and and put clear carpet-savers under them. They look decent and do the trick.)

There's a 518 on the bay that seems to have its feet. If that's true its the only one I've seen since watching. There's a real opportunity for sombody who can work with rubber. There's a bunch of 518s out there with trench foot. I still have all the pieces. I wonder if Terry Witt could make the rubber sleeves we all need... :scratch2:

Rich P

Back
Top Bottom