Favorite Bourbon

Damn, I ran out of Jim Beam Black, so I'm just sippin' some Forty Creek Copper Pot rye whisky at the moment.
Still good ... a bit sweet ... but still good.
Nice full flavor, and 43%. (86 proof).

Dave

Interesting thread and some good ones named. If you've never done it, you owe it to yourself to drink your favorite in a Glencairn Whisky Glass. I was surprised on how a glass could make such a difference.

Woodford is delicious, One. But in rip-off Canada, it's 50 bucks a bottle, so I only pick it up for special occasions. My standard is Jim Beam Black at 32 bucks.
By the way ... nice, festive, Xmas Avatar.

Dave

Woodford is delicious, One. But in rip-off Canada, it's 50 bucks a bottle, so I only pick it up for special occasions. My standard is Jim Beam Black at 32 bucks.
By the way ... nice, festive, Xmas Avatar.

Dave
Yeah... it's easy to drink. The prices in the states range from $35-55.

Cheers!
Carl

I am getting worried. My bunker is getting low on Elmer T Lee... lately it is unobtanium:(
Elmer T Lee has all but disappeared here in NYC. I don't think I have seen a bottle on the shelf in several years. All Wellers are scarce now and forget about anything Van Winkle related. I blame the wine geeks. Wine Spectator did an article years back stating that you could buy the best bourbons in the world for $50 or less per bottle. To an audience of moneyed wine point chasers that was like catnip. Considering they think nothing of dropping $100 on an unproven label of Napa Cabernet, to be told you could buy a world class bottle for $50 contributed to a wiping out of the shelves.

Now I am not saying it is all their fault, there was also the organic growth within the whiskey world leading to "shortages" of bottles that take years to mature and bring to market. However, the frenzy of Van Winkle buying has trickled down to Weller, as folks see it as a poor man's VW. Elmer T Lee has also fallen prey to this scourge, as good reviews coupled with the death of Mr. Lee has caused a run on inventory and now price increases.

I know this is a simplistic interpretation of what has occured in the bourbon world, but 25% increases in prices of bottles across the board, coupled with scarcity of supplies have gotten quite annoying.

Elmer T Lee has all but disappeared here in NYC. I don't think I have seen a bottle on the shelf in several years. All Wellers are scarce now and forget about anything Van Winkle related. I blame the wine geeks. Wine Spectator did an article years back stating that you could buy the best bourbons in the world for $50 or less per bottle. To an audience of moneyed wine point chasers that was like catnip. Considering they think nothing of dropping $100 on an unproven label of Napa Cabernet, to be told you could buy a world class bottle for $50 contributed to a wiping out of the shelves.

Now I am not saying it is all their fault, there was also the organic growth within the whiskey world leading to "shortages" of bottles that take years to mature and bring to market. However, the frenzy of Van Winkle buying has trickled down to Weller, as folks see it as a poor man's VW. Elmer T Lee has also fallen prey to this scourge, as good reviews coupled with the death of Mr. Lee has caused a run on inventory and now price increases.

I know this is a simplistic interpretation of what has occured in the bourbon world, but 25% increases in prices of bottles across the board, coupled with scarcity of supplies have gotten quite annoying.

I hear you. I can remember walking into the store and being able to pick up Buffalo Trace, Blanton’s etc and now you had better be there when the truck arrives or forget it. Damn the wine geeks!

I have to say I have been on the wagon since last summer when I had a bad experience with stomach ulcers. Bourbon and ulcers don't mix.

Back
Top Bottom