Favorite Bourbon

I dipped south of the Ohio River last weekend, and stopped into Antone's in Covington, hoping to buy a bottle of Very Old Barton 90 Proof.

Instead, I was blown away to see my favored VOB 100 Proof. I'd given up on it as having gone unobtainium, even before last year's rickhouse collapse at the distillery.

Upon getting my bounty home, I discovered that on the label, where the old 100 Proof bottles had proudly boasted "Bottled In Bond", the new ones simply say "Crafted". Hmm.

My email inquiry to Barton was returned, and my fears confirmed:

Barrel inventory has gotten so tight for VOB we're no longer able to meet the "distilled in a single season" requirement for being designated a Bottled in Bond whiskey. Everything else is the same.

Bummer. A few years ago, similar market pressures were responsible for revising VOB's "Aged 6 Years" on the bottle to a nebulous "6". At that time, Barton told the public that they placed a higher priority on a quality, consistent product than conforming to an age statement.

It's hard to argue with Barton on either count. VOB 100 remains a very good bourbon on any terms, and at $15 per 750 mL bottle, it's a staggering value.

20190102_153528.jpg

Bourbon is my new hobby. Nothing exotic here. Elijah Craig is pretty good, have had a few bottles of Woodford Reserve, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, very fond of and lucky to have gotten some Blantons, I have some others too. All with their own unique nuances. I like to collect it as much as drink it. Old Fashions and on the rocks.

Bourbon is my new hobby. Nothing exotic here. Elijah Craig is pretty good, have had a few bottles of Woodford Reserve, Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, very fond of and lucky to have gotten some Blantons, I have some others too. All with their own unique nuances. I like to collect it as much as drink it. Old Fashions and on the rocks.

In the vein of those listed, you may also want to search out Elmer T Lee IF you can find it. Bowman Brothers and Four Roses small batch and single barrel also come to mind.

I have a bottle of Four Roses Small batch. Elmer T Lee is on my list to acquire along with all of the usual hard to finds. Being an NY native and a baseball fan I was happy to have found a bottle from Cooperstown Distillery. Haven't tried it yet.
15471643628717220969912426993478.jpg 15471644079248250129438267667146.jpg

Tuesday night I rolled into Louisville from Minnesota. I was only going to be there one night. I couldn't not go out. I went to Stevie Ray Vaughan's Blues Bar, it was open mic night. I told the young lady bar tender to set me up with whatever she'd recommend for bourbon, after-all I was in Kentucky. Eagle Rare. I only had 2 since I had a meeting in the morning. Open mic nite was crazy good, so glad I didn't stay in my room. So right now as I write this I am enjoying my own Eagle Rare. I spent most of my time with Single Malt Scotch but this is very very nice...

Tuesday night I rolled into Louisville from Minnesota. I was only going to be there one night. I couldn't not go out. I went to Stevie Ray Vaughan's Blues Bar, it was open mic night. I told the young lady bar tender to set me up with whatever she'd recommend for bourbon, after-all I was in Kentucky. Eagle Rare. I only had 2 since I had a meeting in the morning. Open mic nite was crazy good, so glad I didn't stay in my room. So right now as I write this I am enjoying my own Eagle Rare. I spent most of my time with Single Malt Scotch but this is very very nice...

Eagle Rare is a staple in my bunker:)

I found Buffalo Trace on sale for $19.99 today. I had to give it a try in light of "fairness" if you know what I mean. So I did a blind taste test between the Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace. First the nose- I thought they were pretty distinctly different. One I could tell just didn't have a lot going on whereas the other did. Taste- one was just straight up bourbon with a little bite but not much and the other, just like the nose had more going on. Can you tell how my reviews on youtube wouldn't go viral? So here is how this will go, if I plan to have more than 1-2 fingers I'll lead with Eagle Rare and followup with Buffalo Trace. I do think @$20 on sale Buffalo Trace is a great buy. Eagle Rare in these here parts runs $29.00 also a good buy. I can't touch decent or any Single Malt Scotch for that. They begin around $45 which would be Highland Park which is even sweeter than Eagle Rare.

Had to pour myself some Eagle Rare as well on Saturday night as the thermometer plunged. One on the rocks, one neat. I preferred it neat.

Can anyone recommend brands that are not on the sweet side? So many I've tried in the past year could double for candy.
As Botrytis mentioned Ryes are more spicy and less sweet than bourbon. For $25 a bottle is is tough to beat Rittenhouse Bottled in Bond 100 proof RYE. Just an excellent whiskey for the money. That might be a little more up your alley.
upload_2019-2-5_9-51-36.jpeg

Thinking of doing the bourbon trail tour this Spring....any advice from anyone out there who has done it?

My son lived in Louisville for a couple of years and we've visited several of the distilleries on the Bourbon trail. Quick tip - All the distilleries require attending a tour before a tasting (you can't just drop in and do a tasting). Of the distilleries we've visited, we've enjoyed these the most - Buffalo Trace, Heaven Hill, and 1792 Barton (all of which are free - most others charge. I'd check to see if 1792 Barton is still doing tours after the rickhouse collapse last year). If you're in Louisville and want to do a convenient tour, the new Old Forester distillery complex on Whiskey Row is worthwhile.

Can anyone recommend brands that are not on the sweet side? So many I've tried in the past year could double for candy.
High rye mashbill whiskeys such as Old Turkey and Bulleit don't come off as sweet, but are indeed robust. A mild, smooth and elegant rye mashbill whiskey is Four Roses Single Barrel.

Back
Top Bottom