Favorite Bourbon

My interest in collecting these sought after bottles have peaked. I spoke with a few liquor store owners, and I'll tell ya, they know exactly what I was after and why I tried to talk to them....lol. It ain't an easy game.... Just hoping to be alert enough to snag what's coming up. Looks like most well known distilleries release new stuff in september.
Pappy distributes in my area around mid November. There is even an iPhone app for following it! If you know how to play the game and are patient, you will be rewarded. We did very well this year, snagging a 10, 15, and 23 at suggested retail prices. My local shop where I am a long-standing member went into the back for me the other day and brought out a 10 year as a favor. They wanted $450 and I declined with a smile, suggesting they save it for one of their more deserving members ! These type of small shops are not where you go....think volume. My friend scored a 23 yo at a Costco related store for example. We did a taste off with it in this thread: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/best-music-for-a-bourbon-taste-off.743020 and the Weller held its own with most participants. I still favor Blantons. The point is, as many here have said, there is a lot of good bourbon out there that isn't on the most wanted (and most expensive) list yet.

Last edited:
Pappy distributes in my area around October. There is even an iPhone app for following it! If you know how to play the game and are patient, you will be rewarded. We did very well this year, snagging a 10, 15, and 23 at suggested retail prices. My local shop where I am a long-standing member went into the back for me the other day and brought out a 10 year as a favor. They wanted $450 and I declined with a smile, suggesting they save it for one of their more deserving members ! These type of small shops are not where you go....think volume. My friend scored a 23 yo at a Costco related store for example. We did a taste off with it in this thread: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/best-music-for-a-bourbon-taste-off.743020 and the Weller held its own with most participants. The point is, as many here have said, there is a lot of good bourbon out there that isn't on the most wanted (and most expensive) list yet.

You are lucky you don't live in an ABC state. No such service here I can assure you.

I've heard of people refilling empty Pappy bottles. They say it's best to destroy the bottle when it's empty to preclude this from being a possibility.

All the Weller products are in very high demand. Old Weller 107 is also the same distillery and mash bill as Pappy, and it's under $30 a bottle if you can find any. I have one bottle I'm rationing.

Ok, second try. The pictures still won't load. I guess I'll have to open the manual.

The discovery yesterday was Ezra Brooks for $21.12/1.75L. Straight it is very tasty. I'm sure there were "Notes", "Hints" and a "Finish" there but I haven't a clue on how to describe them.

Then I was going to post a picture of Joshua Book (not Brooks) that was distilled in Kentucky and bottled in Fairfield California. Just why would you transport bulk Bourbon to California to bottle and ship it back to Tennessee in smaller containers to sell?

Last edited:
Damn, that's ridiculous. The last bottle of Weller 12 I found (a couple of years ago) was ~$18.

Are you sure it wasn't more than a couple years ago? I don't think there have been 12 year aged products under $20 since the early 2000's at least.

Just why would you transport bulk Bourbon to California to bottle and ship it back to Tennessee in smaller containers to sell?
Maybe it's their "aged on the road" series.... like Jefferson's "aged at sea". lol

I found Elijah Craig barrel proof, but the price comes out $115 after taxes. Is this a justifiable buy? Anyone?

Also a single barrel knob creek 9 years. Anyone with a feedback?

I was browsing and found the knob creek and the above mentioned Elijah Craig barrel proof. Everything I read seems to be at least 4/5 for these two. Would love to hear what you guys think and what prices would make sense.

I was browsing and found the knob creek and the above mentioned Elijah Craig barrel proof. Everything I read seems to be at least 4/5 for these two. Would love to hear what you guys think and what prices would make sense.

I think the Knob Creek Single Barrel Reserve is excellent, one of the better values in (near) barrel proof whiskeys. Even at 120 proof, I drink it neat in a Glencairn glass and it isn't too hot, but it is very tasty. On sale around here, it can be had for ~$33, which is quite a deal for such a whiskey.

Are you sure it wasn't more than a couple years ago? I don't think there have been 12 year aged products under $20 since the early 2000's at least.
It was 3-4 years ago. At that time, Weller 12 (as well as Reserve and 107) went on sale frequently. Nowadays, most Buffalo Trace products are in fairly short supply around here, including staples such as Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare.

ECBP is an excellent bourbon, very nice in proof though. I think, around $60 a bottle is the starting price if you can find it.

I got lucky today. After checking out all the big liquor stores finding nothing, I stopped by a small local grocery store to pickup some snacks for work. Passing by a liquor cabinet, I see Elijah Craig small batch. Next to it I see two bottles of Barrel Proof. Grabbed 'em as quickly as I can. $64 each plus taxes it came out to $77 each.

I think these are batch #12 @ 136 proof.

KakaoTalk_20170129_153504965.jpg

Last edited:
I got lucky today. After checking out all the big liquor stores finding nothing, I stopped by a small local grocery store to pickup some snacks for work. Passing by a liquor cabinet, I see Elijah Craig small batch. Next to it I see two bottles of Barrel Proof. Grabbed 'em as quickly as I can. $64 each plus taxes it came out to $77 each.

I think these are batch #12 @ 136 proof.

View attachment 859854
Very Nice! Yeah, that's Batch #12.

Closing out the night with a pretty generous pour of Angels Envy, over one of my homemade big ice cubes.

Anyone else do the big ice cubes or ice balls?

IMG_7507.JPG

Back
Top Bottom