Favorite Movie Soundtrack Albums

Curious to see how many of us enjoy listening to the background or soundtracks of some of our favorite movies. Here are my three:

Last of the Mohicans Movie Soundtrack, Michael Mann; Great instrumentation and a well recorded album of mostly movie themed music.

Mike Oldfield, Tubular Bells: Theme soundtrack for the Exorcist and one of the most innovative and unique albums of that era. Now available in high resolution re-mastered CD and vinyl.

Hanson Romantic #2: Closing scene and credits for the original Alien. I enjoy classical occasionally but this symphony is a modern and for me, more exciting and contemporary performance.

One of two I have is the first Batman movie. I do have The Last of the Mohicans dvd.

I do have Dr. Zhivago on lp, but the quality of recordings is decades apart in terms of SQ.

I'm not big on soundtracks.

I don't know if they released it as an album but I always thought Kurosawa's Yojimbo had the greatest soundtrack I've ever heard.

Love all the Morricone soundtracks on Leone's films. and Stanley Kubrick, esp. Clockwork Orange and 2001

The Omegaman soundtrack has some awesome cool school jazz cuts and is a real favorite of mine

Any Morricone soundtrack

Various ~ Rushmore
Various ~ Boogie Nights
Daft Punk ~ Tron Legacy
Vangelis ~ Bladerunner
Ennio Morricone ~ The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

To name a few.

Elmer Bernstein's The Great Escape is an old favorite; Joe Hisaishi's Howl's Moving Castle is another. Both make great use of a theme repeated in different variations throughout the score.

Pulp Fiction and Dazed and Confused.

When I was 8 or 9 years old I bought the soundtrack to the Superman (1978) movie. I figured it was all dialogue from the film. I learned pretty fast what a soundtrack really meant!

A few albums come to mind:
Morricone's score for "Once Upon A Time In America" is a classic.
The soundtrack that Glenn Gould made for "Slaughterhouse Five" is beautiful.
Leroy Shields music for the old "Our Gang" and Laurel and Hardy shorts is probably some of the first soundtrack music my generation (Boomer) ever heard (along with Carl Stalling's Looney Tunes work, of course).
And the original soundtrack album for "Black Orpheus" is superb.

"The Man With No Name" Trilogy
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Pacific Rim
2001: A Space Odyssey
Most, if not all "Star Trek" movies
Jurassic Park

Thank you for starting this thread. SoundTracks are my favorite "go to" music. Currently listening to the entire Black Knight Trilogy soundtracks. Avatar was good and the first Amazing Spiderman was also. Gone with the Wind is GREAT and so is ChorusLine, King Arthur and Knights of the Round Table and South Pacific.

On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Saturday Night Fever
American Gigolo
Blade Runner
Tron Legacy

Oh forgot one:

Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Not really a soundtrack but more of a compilation and well worth a listen:

Conspiracy of Hope (Gabriel, Elton John, ect)

Trainspotting
Apocalypse Now
Taxi Driver - Love the score on this.
Reservoir Dogs - Super Sounds of the Seventies..
The Big Lebowski - Great soundtrack

Back
Top Bottom