Favorite size prime on a crop body?

JimJ[VT]

I have a Canon 60D, currently using the non-USM 35mm f/2 prime. I took it out last weekend for some time around a river, and I can't help but thinking that the perspective is just too long, even though it's supposedly only equivalent to a 56mm on a full-frame.

Anyone else have similar feelings? Have you tried a 28mm on a 1.6x crop with better results?

TBH, I'm really tempted into giving up autofocus and going with a Zeiss Distagon :p

I used a 24mm when I had a crop sensor camera. I liked it. Slightly longer than 35 (which is my favourite general walk around lens) but close.

Indoors, probably a 35mm.

Outdoors 35 might be kinda cramped, depending on what you want to shoot. It' might still be my favorite, but it definitely doesn't very wide.

Figure that a "normal" lens on a full-frame is considered to be about 50mm (actually 43mm is a true 1:1 lens so a 50mm is a very slight telephoto but who cares) and the "crop factor" on the 60D is 1.6 so a 28mm lens will be closest to normal at the equivalent of approx 45mm. A 24mm would be like using a 38mm lens. To get a good wide-angle effect you would need to drop down to 20mm or less.

For a good walk around lens I go with a short prime of 28mm (got a zoom lens if I need a shorter fl) or a nifty-fifty, which is a good lens and very cheap. It's equivalent fl on your 60D is 80mm which makes it a great lens for portraits.

Walk around lens on my Lumix G7 is a 20mm 1.7, equivalent to a FF 40mm and semi pocket-able. Also really like my Oly 12-40 mm 2.8 for flexibility. I always carry the two lenses when I travel.

For me and how I like to shoot, I basically only need a few focal lengths to cover 99% of my photography. A 24mm, 28mm, 35mm, 50mm and 80/85mm. If I had to go with just one lens, I'd probably choose 28mm which for APS-C would mean using an 18mm lens.

I kind of regret having a 50mm 1.4. It's too long (arm's reach) and the 85mm 1.8 really doesn't look much different from the 50mm. I'd rather have a 35mm 1.4 and 85mm.

I'm liking the Sigma 30mm f2.8 ART lens on my NEX-6. It's extremely sharp and very quiet and makes a great "normal' walk about lens. Makes me wanna buy some more ART glass.

Back
Top Bottom