Favorite STAR TREK Character(s) and Who Should Be Airlocked?

Burn the databank free of the Holographic Doctor - UGH, what a waste of electrons - Neelix was only "slightly" better ...

Worst...character...ever.

6dc388a23a56d5954cedcb3c40f7f81c.jpg

I used to dislike her but rewatching the shows I came to think she has more grit and resolution than most of the leadership characters in the Star Trek shows. She's kind'a warlike.

I used to dislike her but rewatching the shows I came to think she has more grit and resolution than most of the leadership characters in the Star Trek shows. She's kind'a warlike.

I agree, I didn't like her at all first time I saw it, her voice was very offputting, to the point where I didn't watch it at all, caught Voyager years later on Netflix and loved it. She gets totally bad ass towards the end, full throttle ahead and f**k anyone that gets in the way.

Last edited:
Babylon 5 - space station

DS9 - space station

Worm hole, Jump gates

It's been discussed elsewhere that DS9's poor ratings changed when they introduced a continuing arcing storyline(ie The Dominion), like B5 had from the start.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" :D

Although DS9 predated B5.

Theoretical question, if you shoved Data out the Airlock would it matter? Wouldn't he just float around in space, unharmed, forever, until his power supply went dead?

Although DS9 predated B5.
DS9 debuted Jan 1993,
B5 aired their test pilot movie in Feb 1993

There's lots of other places that can go into the 'controversy' of JMS shopping his idea of B5 around - including Paramount before production began on either.

...back to our regularly scheduled program...

When I think of the best episodes of the various Star Treks. The original series the best single episode is The City on The Edge of Forever, S1E28, TNG as discussed elsewhere The Inner Light S5E25, I never watched much of DS9, B5 was so superior in every way I could not stand DS9. Star Trek Voyager, I can't think of an episode that really stands out. The 2 episode Endgame S7E25, S7E26 finale is good, and is a nice finish for STV but it does not really stand out as a dramatic performance, Patrick Stewart's performance in Best of Both Worlds S3E26, Part 2 S4E1, was superior. "I am Locutus of Borg" at the end of S3E26 damn. [Star Trek] Enterprise was really very entertaining, I loved the "A" hole Vulcans but none of the episodes was a real standout. I thought the whole temporal cold war theme was poorly conceived. There is enough of time war stories in science fiction writing that they could have come up with something a lot better. The best part of Enterprise was the relationship between Captain Archer (Scott Bakula), Commander General Andorian Imperial Guard Thy-Lek Shran (Jeffrey Combs), and Ambassador Soval (Gary graham).

Gene Roddenberry, is on the fence with me as to whether his influence (he and his utopian ideals stood like a shadow over all trek shows) was for the better or worse. His influence did sort of bind the series together perhaps (prime directive) with the exception of Enterprise, but also was probably responsible for children on next generation as well as all the other religious or spiritual, meditative aspects to the shows, some of which grew tiresome to me. I tend to prefer more action and less kids running around on the ship, and I blame Roddenberry for some of the worst episodes. But possibly some of the better as well.

The problem with the Roddenberry mafia was Star Trek became canonized. The one thing I never liked about STNG was they hardly ever dealt with serious issues because in the future day most all of the issues had been solved. I recount the first episode of Babylon 5 I watched, Deathwalker S1E9. It opens with Na'Toth (Julie Caitlin Brown) in the entry/customs area of B5. She hisses and explanation You! when she spots a lady entering the station. She jumps this lady, Jha'dur, a Dilgar, (Sara Douglas) a wanted war criminal. The enraged Na'Thot attempts to beat her to death, and would have if secruity had not pulled her away. I remember thinking to myself, wow this is no "Star Trek".

b5_caitlin_brown.jpg

Last edited:
I did not watch ST: DS9 that much but now recall after reading through these how weak so many of the characters were. I could never get into it. One longtime friend says I just needed to stick around until The Dominion shows up. There are many roadmaps on how to watch it by skipping much of the 1st 2 seasons, that might be the way to go. Apparently it doesn't really start to cook until Ronald Moore (Battlestar Galactica) shows up in the writing credits.

The Dominion or more appropriately, Borg lite, what a tedious storyline.

Back
Top Bottom