%&(%&^$ Fed Ex Ground Apes!

Don

They busted the technics TT up pretty bad. I packed the shit out of that thing too! I took the platter off and wrapped it seperatly, 2 layers of large bubble wrap, bubble wrapped the tonearm and the cartridge and double boxed ...and they still manage to break the F7&*$# thing!!!

They must literally THROW this stuff with total carelessness for what happens to the items inside. There's no other explaination.

8 days from NY to AZ ...and it arrives in this condition :uzi:

Fed Ex must be having a competition with UPS. This is precisely why I NEVER pay a shipping company to demolish a vintage television. If I cannot pick it up personally I do not buy it. I've never made an exception and I've never had a set damaged in transit. Trouble is there are lots of sets I am unable to fetch because they are too far for me to drive.

Rob

Remind me in the future that I am NEVER USING FEDEX AGAIN!

4 to 6 weeks time for a claim to be processed after I snail mail it to them. Then if they deem it's not their fault they reimburse the shipper (me) and I then have to reimburse the seller somehow. I think I get the BUSTED up item back too. What does one do with a busted up TT? :smsex:

The poor buyer is the one who really gets screwed. He goes through all the trouble of buying an item on ebay, it arrives damaged and if he lucky he gets his money back in 2 months!

Should I just repay the buyer his total price including shipping now out of my own pocket and then wait for fedex to hopefully pay me?

:dunno:

Last edited:
Don,

If Fedex pays you and not the buyer then yes, you should take the hit and reimburse the poor buyer.

Why would you even want the TT back though? Are the parts valuable? to be real honorable, you'd have to pay for shipping back to you and I can't see the parts being worth it. Or are they?

It wouldn't hurt to tell the buyer about all the hassle that Fedex will put you through. Explain how you will have to fill out papers, talk to the reps, wait to be reimbursed and so on but that you are NOT going to make him, your valued customer, go through all that trouble.

I wouldn't ask the buyer for it, but I wouldn't be surprised if after all of these "stand up" gestures you do for the buyer that he gives you a pos. feedback anyway, just because you took care of him.

What I'm getting at is make yourself a hero to the buyer. It will pay off, long term. Most of us tend to be short term investors but if we take the long view it's just better business!

FedEx is the worst. I had the empty cabinet for my RCA CT-100 color set shipped FedEx from Philadelphia, and was packed very well, and marked "fragile!!!!" everywhere. Now bear in mind that there are only 53 documented examples of my set in the world.

My wife calls me at work to tell me that it had arrived, and that the guy had literally DROPPED IT OFF THE BACK OF THE TRUCK ONTO THE STREET! I was :gigglemad ! And, the driver was rude to my wife about it. Three televisions from the UK to me, all smashed and destroyed, courtesy of FedEx.

Luckily for some reason it had not caused any damage.....divine intervention I think.

kama you got lucky!

jay I gave the buyer my phone number, he called and I explained the whole thing to him. I'm going to send the $ 148 total back and hope fedex pays me.

Never again ....

This is the very reason that I pack the shit out stuff using at a minimum 275# double wall boxes, four inches of half inch bubble on all sides and if I think it needs it, that box is bubble wrapped and put into another box. I really don't think you can overpack something going FEDEX or UPS. Truck freight is easier than them and I hear Forward Air is in a league all their own.

Uggghhh all these TT shipping horrow stories. and here's me with my Thorens TD 160 coming from Dave too. OUCH :puke:

Oil well, Dave got his special order boxes and he spent an hour and a half packin it. My fingers are crossed, my prayers are said. It's all in his hands now...

Sigh, I need a drink. :beer:

As one who has bought stuff from grumpy I can tell you not to worry. Actually you will be cursing him for the 2 hours it takes you to be able to unpack it and play with it ;)

Kewl THOR, that's nice to hear, thanks. Yeah Dave said that he really busted a nut on this. I really can't thank him enough for that. This turntable of his has found a good home! :yippy:

I have gotten speakers and a recievers from Grump and never a damaged item. He wraps the piece in like 2 layers of bubblewrap and tapes the hell out of it, wraps the thing in cardboard, then it goes into a box full of peanuts, then that box goes into another box full of peanuts, all securely taped up. It makes one hell of a mess and pisses the woman off when you do it in the kitchen when you get it all apart ;)

TTs ARE the most delicate item to ship. I got the SL-1300 is good shape, the guy wrapped the bee-jeezus outta that thing!
I'll be having another one coming, soon as the guy gets the M.O. that went out snailmail.
Still waiting for the Onkyo seller to respond to the Square Trade guys. UPS will only work with the shipper! The transport guys need to get caught up with the e-world. Or, they should have been all the time. If it is coming to me, I've probably paid to have it sent, and I'm the one interested in its safe arrival.

Am I off-base?
pete

Back
Top Bottom