FedEx shipping costs, pick-up vs. drop-off??

whoaru99

Epic Member
FedEx shipping costs, why drop-off more $$ than pick-up?

It will cost me $11 MORE to ship a package by dropping it off at a FedEx location than it will to schedule a pick-up at my house.

What am I missing in this picture?

Last edited:
I suppose it could be just that simple.

But, perhaps naively, I assumed handing over a package should be cheaper than rolling a truck.

The nearest FedEx drop off is 30 miles away, fwiw.

oops sorry went to edit and got pulled away,
My guess is that since that truck is rolling down the street anyway the standard rates apply.
If the item is dropped off anywhere but a ups CC center there are extra middlemen and extra cost.
if you have an office depot, they also ship at UPS standard rates; exactly the same rate as truck or cc dropoff.
my guess anyway
I suppose it could be just that simple.

But, perhaps naively, I assumed handing over a package should be cheaper than rolling a truck.

The nearest FedEx drop off is 30 miles away, fwiw.

At what point is the $11.00's more coming into play? If the drop off place is charging you this, and they are a FX Authorized Ship Center, then they can be in a world of trouble with FX.

???

It costs me $9-11/week for pickup service, so if I only have small or light stuff I drop it off at Kinkos' (Fedex Office???) already labeled with my prepaid stickers and save the fees.

At what point is the $11.00's more coming into play? If the drop off place is charging you this, and they are a FX Authorized Ship Center, then they can be in a world of trouble with FX.

This is by rate quote from FedEx website.

If I put in all the same information with the only variable being "schedule a pick-up" or "drop off at staffed location/shipping center", that's where the difference shows up.

BTW, it's $9 difference. Not sure where the $11 came from, might have had declared value on one of the first quotes.

I'm a little confused here, but that is just normal. Since you are looking @ having it picked up @ your location I will ASSume that you have a FX account. And that you are printing your own shipping labels. I ran three scenario's using my FX acct#. The constants were that it was a 25lb package (12x12x12) going to zip 98115.

1st scenario was scheduling a pickup. Cost $23.37
2nd scenario was taking it to a FX staffed location. Cost was $18.22
3rd scenario was dropping it off @ a FX Authorized Ship Center. Cost $18.22

So if your saying that the cost is more for dropping a pre-paid package off @ a FX staffed location, or a Authorized Ship Center, rather than scheduling a pickup. Then I'm missing something in my cyphering. Because it should be less costly to go online, generate a shipping label and then drop it off @ a FX location for pickup. As opposed to either taking your package to a FX staffed location, or ship center, and paying them the shipping charges or scheduling a pickup for a pre-paid package. So in conclusion, I really :dunno: why it's costing you more to drop it off.

Me either..

This whole thing has been a sad joke, IMO. I consider myself pretty adept at on-line stuff, but I've spent entirely too much time over the last two and a half days trying to get signed up with FedEx to print labels and have packages picked up.

Seems like one road block after another dealing with FedEx. First you have to register, then you have to get the account number, then you have to add services, and on and on and on. Now, that's all been done, but I STILL cannot ship a ground package from my house.

I finally broke down and called Customer Service and they so kindly inform me that I have to PHONE IN to have FedEx ground service added to my account, but I'm good to go with everything else.

Finally, after all the dinking around, I went to UPS website and in about 15-20 minutes had everything set up for a ground pickup at my house today. Costed me a bit more but at least it worked relatively easy and painless.

I prefer FedEx, but this frustrating experience with trying to do business with them has left a bad taste in my mouth. I'll still probably use them because they seem cheaper all in all but perhaps there's a reason for that...

Last edited:
Ahhh, now I see. Since you don't have a FX account then there could be charging in ways I would not know about. I'm a FX Authorized Ship Center, and have been primarily shipping w/them for 2 years now. I have people come in after being @ the local UPS store. 9 times out of 10 they will ship with me because of the price difference. I will say that in the 2 years with FX I have had only two shipping problems, that being lost shipments. I use the word "Lost" very loosely in my description. One shipment lost was two racing tires that were strapped together. It would probably be a sure bet saying that some employee with FX now has two new racing tires.:yes::D

UPS charges me about $2 more per item to pick up at my home versus dropping off. No idea why Fed Ex would charge more for you to bring it to them. That makes no sense at all. I wouldn't be using Fed Ex.

Back
Top Bottom