Feeling humbled

Discussion in 'Members' Systems' started by Michael T., Nov 19, 2017.

1. Michael T.

Michael T. Active Member

You have all relieved me of my envy. In fact, I am no longer envious of any of you . :)

Actually, as I look around this forum, I feel myself developing an itch. I am going to start looking for a turntable and some vinyl.

I've been discussing the stuff I've learned here with my wife and she said "so, you have a new obsession, don't you?". :D

I originally joined simply to locate a tweeter for my speakers. I have now felt the pull of audio excellence and I'm not gonna fight it. So plan to hear more from me as I venture into this world.

81spirit, stish and Northwinds like this.
  2. Hajidub

Hajidub Ready for Winter! Subscriber

Michael everyone has a starting point, don't EVER be embarrassed. Just the fact you most likely love music, joined AK, and posted in the "Introduction" thread already means you're a valuable member!

stish and Michael T. like this.
  3. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

It's all about the music, and the enjoyment of it. That is the goal, the destination. . It is medicinal! The audio gear is just the vehicle to get you there..
    Welcome aboard!

4. Hajidub

Hajidub Ready for Winter! Subscriber

What a great definition of the situation, well said Mr. Alobar!

Michael T. and Alobar like this.
  5. xrayspex78

xrayspex78 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hi Michael and welcome to AK. Audio is a journey and it's great fun too. Onkyo, H/K, Yamaha, and Denon are all excellent. I've owned all those brands and was always pleased as they all brought a smile to my face. Stick with your audio journey and keep posting. I know I'm always interested in other folks systems as I'm more of a lurker but lately came out of hiding. All the best Michael and keep listening and enjoying audio.

Michael T. likes this.
  6. Oerets

Oerets AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome to AK!

My first system back in the dark ages was a Sound Design or something similar. I have tried hard to forget and have. It was really bad!

Bought my first Marantz when I graduated collage. It was not vintage then but is now!
    Still have all the pieces too.

Barney

Michael T. likes this.
  7. rxonmymind

rxonmymind AK Subscriber Subscriber

Glad you put it out there. There is no right or wrong as this is a solo journey. Enjoy the ride.

Michael T. likes this.
  8. Spitfirejoe

Spitfirejoe Cheap Audio Aficionado

Both ends of the spectrum are a waste of mental energy - looking down your nose at a "lesser" system, or deriding the money spent on special cables, etc. on a "high end" system. I like seeing/hearing/reading about people enjoying their systems at either end of the hobby.

9. Michael T.

Michael T. Active Member

In case anyone comes back here for some reason, I have added a pair of speakers to my list of equipment. I am restoring a pair of AR-2ax's. I have them working beautifully and have the grill cloths replaced. I am awaiting an ARinc badge to replace one that is missing. Once the weather gets nice I will be restoring the cabinets.
    I think I may be getting the vintage bug. I am currently trying to wheel and deal for an AR Turntable. then maybe a vintage receiver/amp?

ar-2ax 1.jpg

Nightwisher, Drugolf, MCM_Fan and 3 others like this.
  10. stish

stish AK Subscriber Subscriber

I missed your original post, so thanks for the update. You will find great folks willing to help throughout your journey. And remember, it IS your journey. Enjoy the ride. BTW, nice speaker upgrade!

11. Bdbras84

Bdbras84 Active Member

Nice setup man! :thumbsup: I'm glad you're sticking around, the stands you have in your above pic, they resemble original AR stands. They look great! ( possibly awaiting a finish)are they home brew?

12. Michael T.

Michael T. Active Member

Yeah, I made them. They are just pine and yea I plan to finish them. Thanks for the kudos.

MCM_Fan likes this.
  13. MCM_Fan

MCM_Fan AK Subscriber

Great job on the speakers and the stands. Glad to see you're enjoying your journey! Thanks for sharing your progress with the community.

14. Dave_1962

Dave_1962 Lunatic Member

Love the one you're with!

Nightwisher and MCM_Fan like this.
  15. 81spirit

81spirit Super Member

Maybe one of these for a all AR system lol. I no longer own this one. newequip 036.jpg

Michael T. likes this.
  16. micaiahm

micaiahm AK Subscriber Subscriber

Welcome Michael. Your interest will become a hobby and then an obsession. You will not be able, to pass a GW ever again without wondering if you should stop or resist scouring CL for pieces to complete your setup. Apologize to your wife now....it only gets worse.

Find YOUR sound, it is no one else’s, and enjoy the journey.

Bdbras84 and Ds2000 like this.
  17. Michael T.

Michael T. Active Member

I have been stopping at Goodwills for years, I've just been looking for the "wrong" stuff. I've probably passed up quality vintage equipment more times than I want to know. I built up my 5.1 surround system that way but I was always looking for the most modern stuff I could find.
    I now have a whole new world to explore. And fortunately my wife is relatively on board as long as I don't completely bury myself in it forgetting about her :biggrin:

81spirit and Ds2000 like this.
  18. pdm4606

pdm4606 Super Member

I will never let anyone know what I started with 60 years ago. Pre stereo, pre solid state, pre magnetic phono cartridge, pre just about everything.

19. Michael T.

Michael T. Active Member

The first piece of audio equipment I remember listening to as a young kid was a small tube radio of my parents. I don' remember the brand but it was a rectangular box with a single speaker. I loved the smell of that old thing when you fired it up.
    One song in particular I looked forward to hearing was Frank Mills Music Box Dancer. It reminded me of my Grandma's music box.