Feelings on Sony Str 6800

zakezuke

I have yet to really have a good listen to this. I've been doing much in the way of hunting and pecking for something better then what I I had already. This reciever was a freebee for helping a friend move.

From what i've been told it's 80wpc...
circa late 70's.

So far, I am most pleased... in fact more pleased then I was with the newer 1993? sony prologic gx76es

Complatins:
1. Needs lights for the FM analog meters
2. Dolby FM seems to inhance the static
3. It's slightly too large for the component cabinet I picked up

While there is something i'd rather own... i've been doing the thrift / take my stuff thing.

It's pretty....does that count?

Forget the Dolby FM. No broadcast station in many many years has used it (too bad...FM sucks and could have used the help).

Originally posted by EchoWars
It's pretty....does that count?

Sure. that counts.... lol most of my stuff is from the black plastic / enamal age.

It's not like I'd swap it out in favor of something diffrent as soon as I stumble upon it. Problem being I've not heard enough of vintage gear.. I got jelous of one of those MCS recievers I picked up for a friend.

I still have to fully test vs what I got to make the final choice.

That is their number two receiver from that series. It should sound very good. The Sony's I remember were pretty dang well put together and they put some hefty power supplies in 'em.
No Dolby FM, it didn't take off then, and there are no broadcasts in Dolby FM today. Perhaps when they go digital they'll probably use a new Dolby format like 7.1, but that is a far different thing.

Originally posted by bully
That is their number two receiver from that series. It should sound very good. The Sony's I remember were pretty dang well put together and they put some hefty power supplies in 'em.
No Dolby FM, it didn't take off then, and there are no broadcasts in Dolby FM today. Perhaps when they go digital they'll probably use a new Dolby format like 7.1, but that is a far different thing.

Thank you kindly... I will not use the Dolby FM noise enhancement feature. It seemed pretty worthless anyway. I didn't think it was in use, but you can never tell what they use unless it's labled.

The P/S says it's rated for 225watts...

Dolby FM switch

All this ever did was change the "deemphasis" curve to let a true dolby FM signal sound better. All it really does is give the audio a bit of high end boost (over the norm) so it will tend to emphasize the highs and noise as well.

Look at it like playing a Dolby B tape in a non-Dolby equipped tape player.

It is the second from the top of the line receiver of its generation. The top model was the STR-7800SD with 120wpc@8ohms. The STR-6800SD was rated at 80wpc@8ohms. The amp section was pretty solid, with a toroidal power supply. I had the 7800SD and the only real complaint i had was that the phono input stages was a bit noisy, with a lot of hiss from the speakers. The amp section actually had fantastic imaging with a great sense of depth, surprising for a mass produced unit.

I actually thought that the Sony STR-7800SD and its replacement STR-V7 were pretty ugly, compared to the Marantz, Pioneer and Yamahas of that period. Maybe that's why they weren't to popular.

Originally posted by Jon S

I actually thought that the Sony STR-7800SD and its replacement STR-V7 were pretty ugly, compared to the Marantz, Pioneer and Yamahas of that period. Maybe that's why they weren't to popular.

I gotta admit... this is not my favorite in terms of style. I wasn't going to say anything for fear that it's because I was but a pre-teen when this came out. After all, I believe that this piece closely resembles stuff made in 1972?... dispite being made late 1970s. perhaps KLH and Panasonic had recievers of a similar look/feel, i'm not sure. I'll include a photo of the small reciever I'm refinishing.

While I do enjoy black enamal equipment... I would be most proud to display some of the Marantz, Pioneer / MCS, and Yamahas from that time period, though I think my first choice would be Sansui. If it wasn't for the cable length issue, I'd actually prefer stashing this behind a wooden door, and just displaying the rest.

I'll have to verify the noisy phono jacks. I do plan to rip vinyl to cd. I assume that this unit wouldn't be reccomended for that application.

Originally posted by bookasan
I found an STR-7800SD for 20 bucks and I was blown away by how good of a receiver it was.
I do have some of the same complaints though.
1) Ugly
2) heavy
3) doesn't fit in my cabinet.

The wife hates it, thats why it's in the Garage.

yes, I'm going to have to invest in longer wires so I can stash it. I don't have a wife but I feel that any sane person looking at this unit would run away really fast. The plan is to hid it behind a wooden door, and primarly use the PC remote. If I put on the Berry White, she'll only see the KLH 17s restained in english oak + shellac.

Originally posted by bookasan
Be sure you reinforce your cabinet with 12 tons of steel rebar.
That receiver is HEAVY!

I see what you are talking about.

I measured it as being 19 inches
My TT is about 18 inches

My component cabinet was 17.5, and was slightly trapazoided. I was going to do shims... but clearly it needs more room.

My stashing place is only 17 inches wide. It's already too wide for it's placement under my desk.

The component cabinet presently is being enlarged... currently with 1 inch pine shims, as well as two 19.5 inch platforms 3/4 inch ply. Surround the glass in 1 inch of wood

I've got a touch of a wobble at the moment, but that should be resolved when I put in a brace, glue drys, and i'm able to tighten it all down.

Hey! At least you do not have the STR-7800SD! That puppy weighs in at 51 lbs and is 20" wide and 20" deep too! Talk about a shelf buster..
:D

Back
Top Bottom