Fell off the wagon - Klipsch KG-4.5 speakers

Snade

humble AK member
I told myself - "no more speakers.... don't just buy something because it is good deal."

But I can't resist.

Saw these on CL listed in mint shape for $100 (for two).

Went to the guys place in Naperville (within 2 hours of his posting it on CL) and indeed they were in mint shape.

Right now I have them hooked up to my TV setup in the family room and they sound great.

Klipsch KG-4.5 - photo and specs from Klipsch web site.

I'm giving up on the empty promises to control myself - this addiction is too powerful.

Snade

Update - added 3 photos below (2-way, 10" ported woofer, light oak cabs, late 90's Klipsch)

kg_45_1.jpg

kg_45_2.jpg

kg_45_3.jpg

I have a feeling you'll really like those, Snade. And yes, they will play very nicely with tubes...

Very nice.I would have given $100 for those quickly.I know the feeling.I told myself no more gear but I can't control myself any longer.Just curious but do you know the original msrp for those?

Snade you can control your obssesion by purging your excess speakers that is what i do NAH!!!!!!! i can't do it either i just have my 13 foot long towers of power and about 4 sets of different speaker stands NO stacking allowed

Snade you can control your obssesion by purging your excess speakers that is what i do NAH!!!!!!! i can't do it either i just have my 13 foot long towers of power and about 4 sets of different speaker stands NO stacking allowed

Pictures?

Sounds like fun. Those Klipsch look beautiful. I've been addicted too - just to lower grade stuff. Picked up a pair of Polk Audio S-10 - looks like 2 8's and a tweeter - for $31 to bring my "collection" up to around a baker's dozen. Fortunately, the Bose 201's will be easy to purge (from early dabbling).

Last edited:
I feel your pain. We're both in the same CL radius and it's loaded with goodies, isn't it? I have plans on Sunday to free myself of five pairs of speakers to a friend. It already hurts.....

How do those sound compared to some of the classics like the Heresy or Forte?

I've wondered about the 4.5s. I've seen a number come up locally on CL but something about the look made me think white van, even though they are Klipsch. I've seen some of their Reference Series and did not like the look, kind of cheesy. I'm glad they sound good to you, but let us know what you think after a while of using them.

Lol! I feel your pain -- just passed on a pair last week for even cheaper! I wanted them, but couldn't see how they'd make it into the system in the near future; took a deep breath, and let the next fellow in line get a great deal... *phew* almost gives me the shakes just thinking about it. :D

I told myself - "no more speakers.... don't just buy something because it is good deal."

But I can't resist.

Saw these on CL listed in mint shape for $100 (for two).

Went to the guys place in Naperville (within 2 hours of his posting it on CL) and indeed they were in mint shape.

Right now I have them hooked up to my TV setup in the family room and they sound great.

Klipsch KG-4.5 - photo and specs from Klipsch web site.

I'm giving up on the empty promises to control myself - this addiction is too powerful.

Snade

OK, wonderful. I was hoping to get those also, but, tell you what. I'll take the Genesis off your hands do you have room for the 4.2s.... :D

How do those sound compared to some of the classics like the Heresy or Forte?

I added photos in the original post above.

These are late 90's Klipsch designed for a TV based audio system that would blend in with a big stereo / tv cabinet (like mine in the photo).

The build quality is very good with the grill frame held on with magnets and the light oak cabs are nice.

I would describe the sound of these speakers as excellent dynamics, tight and good bass, detailed highs, not a lot of midrange - a typical design for impressive sound effects when watching your favorite DVD movie.

These fall in the middle between classic Klipsch and modern Klipsch where there is some outstanding value in used speakers like this. A lot of speaker for a hundred bucks.

Cheers, Snade

Fantastic score, Snade! Only a fool would NOT snatch them up!

I see them here in Tampa for $450 or so. For a measly $100? C'mon!

Rick

Ha, I saw those on Craigslist too, I was considering making the trip, then the listing was removed, and I thought man they went fast.

If it feels right, then it must be right. The stars were aligned for you to get them. It's not your fault. You really had no choice in the matter. Guilt is self-imposed and non-productive. Relax and enjoy.

(I believe the KG4.5's were around $800/pair when new.)

(The KG4.5 is good but it's NOT even on the same playing field as the Klipsch Forte II's. The Forte II's are probably the best Klipsch speaker they ever made when it comes to frequency response [34hz-20,000hz], efficiency [99db], & sheer volume/impact when pushed with the proper gear.)

I've used the KG4.5's as a pair of fronts with a Klipsch KG2.2V center channel, KG1.5's for rears, & KG.5's for sides, with a Klipsch SUB10 powered sub in a 7.1 system. All I can say is that system ABSOLUTELY PISSED OFF THE NEIGHBORS!! They said they could hear EVERY LITTLE DETAIL in whatever movie I was watching (example: King Kong [the one with Jack Black]). They said they could turn their tv on the same cable channel and listen to my system with their tv's volume off. Every impact, explosion, crunch, bang, pop, creak, sand under someone's shoe, etc... could be heard & felt without even turning it up past 9 o'clock on the volume knob of my Denon AVR-4802. This was my old system... .
My latest upgrade/acquirements/system uses 3 sets of Klipsch Forte II's as the fronts, rears, AND sides along with a monster Klipsch KV4 center channel (two 8" woofers & a horn that handles 200 watts RMS/800 watts PEAK!!) & an "OMG"/"WTH"/"HOLY SHIT" absolute BEAST of a powered sub... the THIEL SmartSub SS-2! The sub has two metal-coned 10" woofers and a 1,000 watt amplifier. This behemoth goes down to 12HZ!!!... WITH AUTHORITY!!! The Klipsch are powered by a Proceed AMP 5 (or the Parasound HCA-1206 [6-channel amp] & HCA-1202 [2-channel amp]) with a Pioneer Elite SC-27 used as the pre-amp/processor. I'm going to need a bigger house... SOON!

(It's better than ANY IMAX theater I've even been in... louder & with more impact.)

Some might wonder why I went with the Klipsch Forte II's instead of the Heresys (too short, didn't want big speakers on stands either), Cornwalls (kind of ugly, old fashioned), LaScalas (nice, but a little too wide), Belles (again, size), or the venerable Klipschorns (need specific size room and corners for these, didn't have it). Besides, the Forte II's play lower bass [34hz] than ANY other Klipsch ever made EXCEPT for the Reference 7 [34hz also, I believe?] AND play higher highs [20,000hz] than any of the Heritage line [most are 18,000-19,000]. So there are quite a few reasons why I chose the Forte II's over other Klipsch speakers... plus they just sound phenominal!!

This was a great endorsement of the speakers this thread is about (until you got to the part about all the other speakers that are better - which is fine, but) I just wanted to point out how great your description was of the 4.5 system. I have not heard them, only the 4.2 which is an earlier model (new in '91 I believe) with a PR instead of a port.

I always recommend a recap of the very simple crossover and a Crites titanium diaphragm for the 4.2. Absolutely loved em, especially on 40W of Class A SS. I suspect it would make the 4.5 sound stellar as well.

This was a great endorsement of the speakers this thread is about (until you got to the part about all the other speakers that are better - which is fine, but) I just wanted to point out how great your description was of the 4.5 system. I have not heard them, only the 4.2 which is an earlier model (new in '91 I believe) with a PR instead of a port.

I always recommend a recap of the very simple crossover and a Crites titanium diaphragm for the 4.2. Absolutely loved em, especially on 40W of Class A SS. I suspect it would make the 4.5 sound stellar as well.

Sorry, I digressed, toxcrusadr... This is what happens when you love home audio this much! LOL!! And thanks for the compliment. I really do appreciate it.
Like you, I also used the KG4.5's with a good solid state Class A amp... the venerable Yamaha M-60, which has something like only .003% distortion. On horn-loaded speakers, like Klipsch, distortion is much more easily noticeable, so with such a low level on this amp & Class A power (up to 10 or 12 watts, Class AB above that) plus 2 ohm stability & 160/200 watts per channel into 8/4 ohm loads... well, I think you get the picture. The sound was impressive to say the least. Tons of tight, deep bass & smooth, sweet highs. I like your idea of doing the Bob Crites titanium diaphragm upgrade on the 4.5's tweeters & doing a recap on the crossovers, but which caps should I use? Brand? Type? Size even? What about upgrading resistors or coils, if applicable? I've never seen the crossovers in them, but I figured if one is going to upgrade part of the speaker/crossover, one might as well upgrade all of it, if reasonably possible. What about replacing the internal wiring with more "audiophile-grade" stuff & which brand & type would you suggest? I was thinking of resealing/recaulking the interior of the cabinets also. Soldering the interior speaker wires was another thing I was considering. I haven't been inside them yet but wondered if there is any insulation/polyfill inside them? If so, is it possible to upgrade that as well, with maybe "rock wool"?
As is, I've found that these are excellent speakers for home theater & very good for two-channel music as well. Like previous posters have said, a 3-way old-school Klipsch Heritage set-up will sound better to most people, but simply remember how much more expensive those speakers are versus the 4.5's & for home theater the 4.5's are simply viscious. The OP got a huge streak of luck the day he came across those, especially for that low of a price. Congratulations!!!
For anyone who has a set already or is thinking about getting a set of 4.5's, you won't be disappointed AS LONG AS you use good, clean equipment in front of them... that's the key to listening/owning horns, hence why owners absolutely love listening to them with tube amps, in 2-channel of course. For home theater owners, try to pair the 4.5's up with a good, large Klipsch center, like the KG2.2V. It makes all the difference in the world. Horns are super fast, efficient, and have a lot of impact, hence why they are used in 99.9% of every theater nationwide. So don't try to use a slower, less efficient, softer hitting speaker for a center channel with the 4.5's, or ANY horn-loaded speaker for that matter... it just won't sound like it should.

Back
Top Bottom