Few questions about AR XA?

Rea Mochiach

Hi-

Got an AR XA in pretty wonderful condition, however, the headshell was Glued with Gorilla glue into the tonearm plastic sleeve since the Plastic 'nibs' were stripped at a time when there were no after market solutions.

I bought off eBay a new AR XA headshell and i want to install it.

Right now the Glued headshell works fine.

1. What's the best way to get the glued shell out?
2. Should i just leave in the Glued shell instead of risking ruining the arm sleeve?

Next question:

The motor makes a bit of noise when starting up, as if its stressing a bit to pick up speed. Should i help it manually to pick up speed(it does not make the noise when i do that), or is it designed to perform better if it picks up speed without manual help?

Thanks!

Hi-

Got an AR XA in pretty wonderful condition, however, the headshell was Glued with Gorilla glue into the tonearm plastic sleeve since the Plastic 'nibs' were stripped at a time when there were no after market solutions.

2. Should i just leave in the Glued shell instead of risking ruining the arm sleeve?

Next question:

The motor makes a bit of noise when starting up, as if its stressing a bit to pick up speed. Should i help it manually to pick up speed(it does not make the noise when i do that), or is it designed to perform better if it picks up speed without manual help?

Thanks!

I would leave the headshell alone unless you want to be able to swap cartridges, in which case you would need to remove it. Not sure how you would do that other then gently prying it off, but perhaps somebody else will have a better idea.

You can gently spin the platter on start up to help it get up to speed. It might tremble a bit when getting started which is normal. The noise is probably just the belt, but perhaps you can describe it. Mine runs extremely quietly.

Hi-

Next question:

Thanks!

to use the new headshell, the socket the current one is glued into will have to be replaced also. Always a good idea to assist a belt drive on start up. saves belt life, and pulley condition. which, both of those probably need addressed also on your table

to use the new headshell, the socket the current one is glued into will have to be replaced also. Always a good idea to assist a belt drive on start up. saves belt life, and pulley condition. which, both of those probably need addressed also on your table

Thanks Marc. In order to ship to you for service, what is the procedure? Thanks

I once had an AR XB that I bought used. I have had more than one. Anyway, the previous owner(idiot is more appropriate) used Loctite on one of the tonearm vertical bearings. I guess that would have been almost okay(I would never do that) if he had not over tightened the bearing. Some people really know how to mess up works of art. I have and have had more expensive turntables than my AR 77-XB. Did/do I think they were/are better ? NO.

Last edited:
I once had an AR XB that I bought used. I have had more than one. Anyway, the previous owner(idiot is more appropriate) used Loctite on one of the tonearm vertical bearings. I guess that would have been almost okay(I would never do that) if he had not over tightened the bearing. Some people really know how to mess up works of art. I have and have had more expensive turntables than my AR 77-XB. Did/do I think they were better ? NO.

Not sure if i understood your message or how to apply it to my situation...;-)

Not sure if i understood your message or how to apply it to my situation...;-)

I was relating an experience where someone else messed up a turntable by using glue where it should not be used. Responses on here are not limited to answering specific questions.

Update:
Took the risk and pulled on the shell with a bit of force. It came right out! no glue left in the tube socket! wired and installed the new shell in 5 minutes, calibrated weight/ force etc. and it works like a charm! Guess i was lucky this time.
Im relieved! Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom