Few questions about digital audio

Febs

Life used to be quite easy once. There were LP records, tapes, later – CDs. You could search for your Holy Grail by messing around with different cartridges, tubes, wires, tapes. Not anymore. CDs have diversified into “standard CD”, SACD, DVD, Blue Ray etc. Instead of the usual 16/44 now we have 24/44, 16/48, 24/96, 24/192 etc…. Completely different.

Despite my still very strong preference for well recorded LPs (with SACD sometimes breathing down their neck) I feel that it’s about time to investigate those different formats to see what they can do and what they can’t. However, some questions have emerged that I could not get straight answers. Perhaps someone could enlighten me regarding few technical issues regarding digital audio.

1) If I have an audio file (say, flac) marked as 24/96K, can I play it on my SACD player (Marantz SA-15 ser.1) with that resolution? It seems that the SACD player has only two modes – CD and SACD. The standard CD mode, as far as I understand, is 16/44K, whereas the SACD is an entirely different story – DSD 1/2.8M . So, will this player play the 24/96 flac file as a proper 24/96 or it will be trimmed down to the SACD player’s CD standard mode of 16/44? While playing, the player is showing the CD mode active.

2) If I play that file through a PC, how the resolution is determined – solely by the soundcard specification, or the playback software matters as well? I know that there are soundcards with different resolution, but does software have any relevance here?

3) If a soundcard has resolution of 24/192, I guess, it should play lower resolution files as well, shouldn’t it? What about higher resolution files?

1) If I have an audio file (say, flac) marked as 24/96K, can I play it on my SACD player (Marantz SA-15 ser.1) with that resolution? It seems that the SACD player has only two modes – CD and SACD. The standard CD mode, as far as I understand, is 16/44K, whereas the SACD is an entirely different story – DSD 1/2.8M . So, will this player play the 24/96 flac file as a proper 24/96 or it will be trimmed down to the SACD player’s CD standard mode of 16/44? While playing, the player is showing the CD mode active.

I don't think your series 1 SA-15 contains any digital input possibilities. It can play CDs and SACDs, and looks like it can output a digital signal (coax and optical). But no digital input. The series 2 player does contain an optical input capable of handling up to 96 kHz data.

So, there isn't a way to input your high-resolution files to your series 1 player.

The solution to the problem would be to go the streaming route. There are innumerable ways to achieve that, at various price points. My preferred method is as follows, and it assumes that you are looking for a simple but ready-made solution. If you are interested in DIY, there is a wealth of information on the internet. Start with http://www.computeraudiophile.com.

Anyway, here is my approach:

Computer with Music Files
  1. I store my digital files of all resolutions on a computer (Windows).
  2. I have my files organized in folders according to albums.
  3. This computer is connected to my home network via a wired Ethernet connection.
  4. The folders containing the music files are shared for access from any other device on the network.
Music Streamer
  1. I use a device called the Bluesound Node.
  2. It is connected to my home network via a wired Ethernet connection (wireless is also possible).
  3. I have set it up to build a music library by "pointing" it to the computer which stores all the music files.
  4. Using an iPhone app, I select whatever album or song I want to play from my library.
  5. The Node will then pull the data across the network and convert the digital data to analog.
  6. The next item in the chain is my integrated amplifier, which is fed the analog data output by the Node.
  7. The Node is capable of handling up to 24 bit / 192 kHz PCM data (no DSD).
To answer your other questions:

2) If I play that file through a PC, how the resolution is determined – solely by the soundcard specification, or the playback software matters as well? I know that there are soundcards with different resolution, but does software have any relevance here?

The operating system, the soundcard, the playback software all play a part. If you don't set up the operating system correctly, it can downsample all your high-resolution files. If you don't install proper drivers for the soundcard, the same thing can happen. The playback software might also have options, which if not set correctly, can mess with the data.

To avoid all these issues, I went the streamer route, and use the computer for simply serving up data via the network connection. This approach also allows me to keep the computer away from the audio gear, in another room.

3) If a soundcard has resolution of 24/192, I guess, it should play lower resolution files as well, shouldn’t it? What about higher resolution files?

It will play lower resolution files. Higher resolution files will most likely be downsampled to the maximum resolution that can be played by the card.

I just got set up with something similar to your Bluesound node. I am using a networked Raspberry Pi with JRiver to play to from the pc hard drive. I have a noisy usb on this pc and this gets my USB DAC off of it completely. I am using JRemote app to control it.

As for the op's questions on technical aspects of playing his digital files, ashok hit it pretty well..

Back
Top Bottom