Fidelity Research FR-24 MK2

fiddlefye

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I know of the Fidelity Research arms, but have never had the pleasure of encountering a FR-24 MK 2 before. I'm considering nabbing one that has turned up for a reasonable sum, but would love some opinions before doing so. Anyone have any experience? I'd like to jump on this, but a bit of a better idea of whether it would suit would be appreciated!

I have an FR-54 and love it. Fidelity Research is a top notch brand, they made some serious tonearms at the height of analog's popularity. Impeccable build quality and typical Japanese attention to detail make any Fidelity Research tonearm a good buy.

Any other opinions before I drop some cash on it? Also has a second large counterweight that can be added.

Attachments

• fidelity_research_fr24_mk2_tonearm.jpg
    fidelity_research_fr24_mk2_tonearm.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 188
it looks like the fr24 was a mid-late 60's design, the bearing design looks really interesting. I cant find any reviews on it, much like the fr54 the 24 was a japan only model so info is going to be hard to come by. Not very many people are hip to Fidelity Research, I dont think I have seen anyone else with an fr54 on this forum, come to think of it I dont remember seeing any FR tonearms around here. I am sure some other guys have to have them but they are not common by any means.

Like I said, info on Fidelity Research is scarce and confusing, I had an ex-FR dealer argue with me that the fr-54 never existed and I had to be mistaken about the model number, but one thing everyone seems to agree upon is that FR are great sounding arms with second to none build quality.

good luck with the arm, please let us know what you think about it if you get it.

just for the fun of it, here is a photo of mine

I would also be really interested if any other Fidelity Research owners are 'round these parts, hopefully someone will chime in.

That looks great! Really envious of the table that arm gets to hang out with, my ideal I think. I have the black version of that 'shell and it is a good one, though a bit chunky for most of the arms I have at the moment.

Funny that all of the FR-24s I've seen have been either in the Orient, UK or Canada. I wonder if there is some dealer connection there at the time?

I have a FR-64FX. If I remember correct there is a thread at lencoheaven or similar lenco forum about the FR-24. But I could remember wrong.

I have a FR-64FX. If I remember correct there is a thread at lencoheaven or similar lenco forum about the FR-24. But I could remember wrong.
Yes, I found that thread and another and the opinions stated were quite positive, one person stating it was better than a couple of other well-regarded arms he has including a Graham. I've just broken down and emailed the seller to confirm I'll take the arm. Just more than I can resist I'm afraid. We'll see how it plays with a TD-125 for a starter.

The 24 II was a model that was offered when the 64s, 66x and such were available.

Brochure says it is for low tracking force cartridges, 0-2 grams. Uses the 7 gram headshell vs. the massive 19.5 gram ones used on the FR-60 series. So I'm guessing this is not a very high mass arm that the 60 series is.

The 24 II was a model that was offered when the 64s, 66x and such were available.

Brochure says it is for low tracking force cartridges, 0-2 grams. Uses the 7 gram headshell vs. the massive 19.5 gram ones used on the FR-60 series. So I'm guessing this is not a very high mass arm that the 60 series is.
You found a brochure? Do tell....

No it is not one of the high mass arms, supposedly quite medium mass. VTF I believe goes up to at least 3g, though. From what I can tell most people who own them are running MC carts on them of one sort or the other, but not limited to that. A good general use specification adaptable with different weight shells I would imagine. Chap selling it is going to throw in a AT F3 II with it. Needless to say I am curious how it works out.

Well, pulled the trigger and the arm should be here next week sometime. I did a bit more info hunting and found some guy had actually put one on a TD-125 (where mine will be landing). He has a pretty estimable hoard or fine arms and considered the FR-24 to be the best match he had found for the table. Augers well methinks.

Anyone have a manual? Not likely I realize, but you can't fault a guy for asking!

Nice! please let us know what you think when it comes in.

Good luck finding a manual in english.
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha....:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I will report once I have it mounted, set up and had a good listen.

Last edited:
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha....:lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

I will report once I have it mounted, set up and had a good listen.

You did well! Fidelity Research was a top notch Co. I have the FR-54 mounted to my Td-125 and it is a great match. I was actually looking for a FR-24 and couldn't find one for sale at the time so I got the FR-54 instead..

You did well! Fidelity Research was a top notch Co. I have the FR-54 mounted to my Td-125 and it is a great match. I was actually looking for a FR-24 and couldn't find one for sale at the time so I got the FR-54 instead..
There have actually been several FR-24s for sale the past while. Strange, but I guess it runs like that.

From what I can tell the 24 and 54 are the same length and similar in effective mass and a few other ways. I imagine they don't sound dissimilar somehow. I do have a Sumiko MMT and was planning on using it until I could afford something better. Then the Fr-25 MkII turned up for a reasonable price and resistance was futile. Mounting it on the TD-125 should be straightforward enough as it isn't dissimilar to the ATP-12T in many respects and I'm accustomed to it. I do wish it had the OTF VTA of my late, lamented AT-1009, but one cannot have everything. That was definitely the most convenient arm to set up I've ever worked with. If the FR-24 sounds as good or better I will be happy and I suspect from what I've read it will be an improvement. It certainly looks like a serious piece of construction.

With a bit more hunting I found this site that shows the various counterweights and their actual mass. It will also take you to info on other Fidelity Research products: http://20cheaddatebase.web.fc2.com/needie/NDFR/FR-24mk2.html

In addition I found a chap in Australia who makes brass weights for the arm of a whacking 74.5g! It turns out he will make pretty much whatever you might want and for an amazingly reasonable price at that.

Amazing what turns up when one searches via images rather than text.

I'm using an FR-24 MkII on a TD124 with one of those Australian heavy counterweights and an SPU-NE. It has a heavier headshell that the original FR. I added another 7g to the headshell with a lead weight for model railroad cars. It works really well.

Leonard

This looks like it is going to be a fun thread, I am in. Good luck fiddleyfye. I think if you find a Japan manual you should be fine.

I'm using an FR-24 MkII on a TD124 with one of those Australian heavy counterweights and an SPU-NE. It has a heavier headshell that the original FR. I added another 7g to the headshell with a lead weight for model railroad cars. It works really well.

Leonard
Those counterweights look quite nicely done in the photos. I contacted the seller to ask if he would be willing to make other masses (the one he had on offer was apparently 85g as it turned out). When my arm gets here I will have the 40 and 20g weights with it, but not the smallest 10g. Such might be useful in some circumstances and a with the addition of a really heavy one it would allow one to keep the distance of the weights from the pivot consistent from one cart to the next for anything imaginable. I've discovered of late that this is not an inconsiderable thing by any means in getting the max out of a set-up.

It certainly speaks volumes of the quality of the bearings and rigidity of the arm tube that it can handle the sort of demands your arrangement must ask. I have to say that the more I find out about the arm, the more pleased I am to have it coming my way.

One question: what do you think of the quality of the wiring and leads? Most seem to be pleased with the originals, but they are not recent stuff.

Also wondering about the shell that will be coming with mine. Have a look at the pic I posted in the thread. It looks different than most others I've seen in that it doesn't have slots for alignment. I'm guessing there is a sled inside of some sort, but can't say until I have it in my hands.

Back
Top Bottom