field coil speakes

Anyone els make a PM magnet to field coil switch?

• Yes

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

john burke

I have been using lowther silver coil Permanent magnet speakers. Just changed over to the identical speaker but with a silver field coil instead. Immediately lost all shrillness and harshness ( which I am informed is a Lowther problem). I now can listen to violins without losing my hearing :)
The lowthers sit inside of Ingenium speaker cabinets and are linked to an Ampex 102 15/30 ips tape machine and audio note OTO amplification and audio note silver cables. I listen to master tapes and some CDs (because master tapes are rare and very spendy.)
John

Sounds like you haven't compromised on either end of the audio chain! We would be interested to know what you use for the field supplies. Thoughts of Tungar tubes come to mind, forgive me if that is just out of line for these drivers:).

I have not personally heard high-end field coil drivers, or any drivers that cost more than my system per pair! As far as field coils, I am only familiar with radio/console speakers from the '30s-'40s where the field also served as the power choke.

I've heard rumors of people converting Altec 604s to field coil like the original variation of the driver

I have been using lowther silver coil Permanent magnet speakers. Just changed over to the identical speaker but with a silver field coil instead. Immediately lost all shrillness and harshness ( which I am informed is a Lowther problem). I now can listen to violins without losing my hearing :)
The lowthers sit inside of Ingenium speaker cabinets and are linked to an Ampex 102 15/30 ips tape machine and audio note OTO amplification and audio note silver cables. I listen to master tapes and some CDs (because master tapes are rare and very spendy.)
John
Hey John, welcome to AK!

I hope you can post some pictures of the system for us. Those speakers sound particularly interesting. Who did the magnet modification/conversion to the Lowthers for you? I am currently using Feastrex field coils and have quite a bit of silver in the system too, so I can imagine what you might be listening to, there. Heck, at one point not too long ago, I was running single-ended EL84s, too!

I've heard rumors of people converting Altec 604s to field coil like the original variation of the driver
That'd be Wolf von Langa, who makes some interesting field coil drivers, indeed! I'd like to hear his 604s someday, but I'm not sure he's still doing those...

Back
Top Bottom