FiiO D3 + Chrome Cast Audio - $45 shouldn't sound this good!

Poultrygeist

Lunatic Member
I've had a $20 D3 sitting in a drawer for a few years and it has only been used in testing systems. I guess I have better DAC's with a Modi MB and Audio GD NFB in daily use but notice my uncertainty. It all started with using my $10 Rewards coupon from Best Buy to purchase my third CCA for $25 to be used with my back porch system.

My porch system consists of Axiom Algonquins and a Marcato outdoor sub powered by a Technics SU-V98 Class A amp ( $10 at GW ). Adding the CCA means streaming Pandora Plus jazz for hours while enjoying the screened porch and the beauty of Harbison Forest with my wife and friends.

Connecting the tiny D3 and even smaller CCA needed some organizing so they wouldn't fall down behind the amp and be lost. So I velcro'ed them to a board as you see in the picture below. Since the system is behind a bookshelf door cosmetics are not an issue. I switch all the devices on with a power strip/surge protector.

Stayed up way past my bedtime last night listening to this wonderful combination on the porch. I might still be there had my wife not insisted that I come to bed.

P1010010.JPG

The Axiom Algonquins have never sounded better............

416vkHDxkUL._SX355_.jpg

The $10 Technics amp also drives the passive Marcato outdoor sub which I bought on close out at PE for $29. Gawd how I love cheap deals!!! Re-stained the screen porch floor today while I was streaming Pandora+ on shuffle. Could have stayed out there all day and was almost sad when I finished the job. :)

309-144_ALT_0.jpg

You learn something new every day. Looking up that integrated it seemed to be really small for a 110wpc of class A power. Specifically a small fan instead of ginormous heat sinks. It turns out that Technics "New Class A" is not class A at all. Gotta love marketing but so long as it sounds good, who cares?

You learn something new every day. Looking up that integrated it seemed to be really small for a 110wpc of class A power. Specifically a small fan instead of ginormous heat sinks. It turns out that Technics "New Class A" is not class A at all. Gotta love marketing but so long as it sounds good, who cares?

Don't know other than what's printed on the front of the amp. It is very heavy which usually means big iron.

I've had a $20 D3 sitting in a drawer for a few years and it has only been used in testing systems. I guess I have better DAC's with a Modi MB and Audio GD NFB in daily use but notice my uncertainty. It all started with using my $10 Rewards coupon from Best Buy to purchase my third CCA for $25 to be used with my back porch system.

My porch system consists of Axiom Algonquins and a Marcato outdoor sub powered by a Technics SU-V98 Class A amp ( $10 at GW ). Adding the CCA means streaming Pandora Plus jazz for hours while enjoying the screened porch and the beauty of Harbison Forest with my wife and friends.

Connecting the tiny D3 and even smaller CCA needed some organizing so they wouldn't fall down behind the amp and be lost. So I velcro'ed them to a board as you see in the picture below. Since the system is behind a bookshelf door cosmetics are not an issue. I switch all the devices on with a power strip/surge protector.

Stayed up way past my bedtime last night listening to this wonderful combination on the porch. I might still be there had my wife not insisted that I come to bed.

View attachment 977429
What brand is that TOSLINK cable? I bought a couple of those a while back at a yard sale. There's no label on them. Very heavy duty.

FiiO DACs does sound very fine for the price they're being sold ! Have an E10 USB Dac that is fine for headphone listening and very portable also

Back
Top Bottom