FiiO i1 DAC/Amp dongle for iPhone. Big improvement!

Discussion in 'DACs' started by transmaster, Jun 5, 2018.

1. transmaster

transmaster Addicted Member

Listening to my newly acquired FiiO i1 dongle. This is like the lightning to 3.5mm adapter that Apple supplies to plug a 3,5mm earphone in. The i1 is much,much better. The DAC ( Codex Chip NAU88L25) can do a 192kz sampling rate but the iPhone limits it to a lossless 48kz. The cable is 31.5" long. The lightning end easily fits into my Otterbox Defender case. Output is 30 mW into 16 Ohms, 15mW into 32 Ohms. Frequency response 20-20k etc. The cable incorporates a microphone. The lightning plug housing as well as the DAC/Amp' 3.5mm side are metal. There is an controller app but it only facilitates firmware updates.

Listening to some FLAC files on the iPhone with the i1 powering an Shure SE215 earphone set a considerable improvement over the Bluetooth earphones, and a big improvement over the Apple adapter. Looking for my beloved Etymotic HF3's it's encased but I haven't found that case yet.
    $39.99 at Amazon.
    1806A2A3-1B85-4B92-820B-0150FB694404.jpeg

4A00EBED-4166-4AB6-B3F8-0B920420C0A6.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 5, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. judsonw

judsonw Well-Known Member

If it was not mac only, I would maybe consider it. I enjoy my eytmotic hf5s but do find my phone a little noisy still.

3. transmaster

Stay Tuned FiiO is now out with several bluetooth enabled devices, one of them is a Bluetooth cable set for the Shure earphones. Not yet available Stateside. But do not purchase any costly Bluetooth devices the vast majority are Bluetooth 4.2. Bluetooth 5.0 is the current standard and we are just starting to see devices that are 5.0.

4. transmaster

Been using the i1, and I am comparing it to the Apple Dongle. To be very honest about it for Earphones there is very little if any difference in the sound. In fact I think the Apple Dongle works better with the Etymotic hf3. The real advantage the i1 has is it’s robust construction and it incorporates a microphone. I have to say that I now find being wired to my iPhone annoying. Wireless phone technology is improving rapidly. My best sounding wireless earphone are my Klipsch R6’s the BT, and the Neckless it is to bad they are so poorly designed. The R6 BT overly large over the ear modules and questionable batteries, the Neckless, poor construction quality, idiotic location of the microphone, and irritating notification sounds you cannot turn off. I wish the Neckless was better it is my favorite wireless earphone but I will not purchase another one. FiiO is out with a wireless replacement cable for Shure earphones,and Shure type clones. The RC-BT which is apparently not available State side yet.
    It has a 10 hour battery. It is available from some off shore vendors for $42.99. Shure has one but I am not forking over $99 bucks for it.

073A360B-22FA-4E6C-A6CC-F6F5D6A688D7.png

5. RamblinE

RamblinE (╯°□°)╯彡┻━┻

Looks like s good buy for somebody with a newer mode iPhone. I’ll keep it in mind when I have to upgrade my SE and 6S Plus.

olson_jr likes this.
  6. transmaster

Here is the Shure Cable. $99 USD. This is not the time to spend big bucks on anything Bluetooth 4.2. Bluetooth 5.0 is out.

DFA48F6A-2E62-4F98-9F3D-835D8103A6CD.png

Please register to disable this ad.