Fiio X3 II

jocko_nc

I bought one of these for my kid at school two Christmases ago. Some dirtbag in the Chapel Hill area must be enjoying it, as it was stolen from his car shortly thereafter. For graduation he got the new X5 and the need to rip a whole bunch of CD's all over again. Going to be a scavenger hunt.

I wanted one since the begining, and finally broke down and did it. Looking at all the models, I went X3 II. I really prefer simplicity. Click wheel. Real buttons. I know it doesn't do all the latest things with bluetooth and the like, but I don't do those things either. Used cost is about $100.00 now. The 128 G SD card you put in it will run you $50.00. Pretty cheap for what you get.

I have loaded some files to play around with the unit and it has amazed me numerous times. Headphones are the Massdrop version of Sennheiser "HD 6XX" that also arrived recently. Between the two, I am hearing things that I never heard before. Enough so that I am posting a comment here.

Great player for not a lot of $$$.

$100 + $199 + $50 for a solid player and headphone setup, in my opinion. Recommended.

For an extra $60 you can add a Fiio A3 Portable Headphone Amp which really juices things up. I have the X1 player with this amp, and really enjoy listening to the combo.

My first venture into the portable DAP market was the original X3. I didn't expect much, but was truly surprised by the overall sound quality. I'm a button and wheel guy too although we are an endangered species. The suggestion of an external amp by jborders is not a bad idea. I'm not familiar with the Massdrop HD-6XX phones, but if these follow the normal 600/650, then they are 300 Ohm phones. An amp with wider rails will really enhance the higher impedance phones. That, of course, is my opinion. I also have the original X5 player and pair both with the Fiio E12 amp. I think Fiio has a newer amp with similar specs, but I can't remember the model. The downside is the amps cost as much as the player. In any event, it's nice when you roll the dice on something and it surprises you. Enjoy the X3.

They are re-issue 650's. The only way to get new ones currently. You put in a pre order and Sennheiser builds them in lots. Mine took three months to arrive, but they are brand new for about the cost of used.

I am watching for one of those amps. I see them and have wondered...

Back
Top Bottom