FiiO X3ii

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by jocko_nc, Dec 14, 2016.

1. jocko_nc

jocko_nc Super Member

FiiO X3 2nd Gen. It is that time of year and I am looking for something cool for my son.

I dived into the IPod thing big time back when the 2nd generation Nano was cutting edge and expensive. The 8G model was $$$ and I splurged on it for myself. Ripped everything I could get my hands on. A couple of years later, I found "obsolete" 4G versions at Apple for a song and gave them to my kids. Great products. All three are still kicking and used almost daily.

Time warp to this evening. I was wondering what replaced the earlier IPods: Well built and designed for music. File storage. Quality sound output. I was surprised to see the niche products available. Very nice. Which brings me to the FiiO X3ii. Is it really what is it is said to be? Anyone have any experience with this product? I am intrigued.

It looks to have the capabilities of a music server from several years back. I looked into those and even considered building one on a bare bones PC chassis. Now, it looks like someone finally built what I have been looking for.

My son has a massive CD collection. CD's are his thing kind of like vinyl is to many of us. Hell, CD's are just about as vintage to his generation as vinyl. With this new device, he could rip again all those CD's to high quality samples and begin a new library of killer recordings. Of course, we will all do the same, share, and eventually have a similar playback device.

Kind of like the IPod craze all over again, but bigger and better.

He carries a very powerful ThinkPad and has a high resolution external DAC, so digitizing vinyl is a possibility too. His turntable is not very good. We will need to work on that.

Opinions? Thanks.

2. jocko_nc

jocko_nc Super Member

$169 is market for these now. Maybe $110 used. I see the X3 first generation, but have read that the product was a bit clunky and not quite ready for prime time: Build quality and software. X1 lacks some features that might be cool. X3ii seems to be in the right place.

3. Condorsat

Condorsat Audio Enthusiast

I've been using the FiiO X1 for a little over 2.5 years now. I rip my CD's to AAC & store on SD card. I use ear buds for on the go & headphones for walks in the summer. I like mine ... also own an Ipod ... only for car use.
    Nice product ... dead easy to use ... I copy my CD rips from Itunes onto the SD card. Create file on SD card ... copy & paste.

4. jocko_nc

jocko_nc Super Member

Tentative deal for a (seemingly) lightly used one. X3ii. Stay tuned. I haven't been this digitally stoked in a long while. IPod Fun, version 2.0.

5. Frankie's Market

Frankie's Market AK Member Subscriber

jocko, keep us posted. I've been trying to get more info on the FiiO , thinking this might be my next step in quality portable music, I want to know more!

6. jocko_nc

jocko_nc Super Member

Will do. Ditto. Hoping for a positive Christmas Review.........

Unit is on the way. $140.00 including 32 and 128G cards. Very cool.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  7. Raynald

Raynald AK Subscriber Subscriber

Another happy X1 owner. I just use it on occasional business trips but it does sound quite good. You should enjoy the X3 II, let us know.

8. jocko_nc

jocko_nc Super Member

Nice player. Received it today. Smaller than I thought it would be. High build quality.

The operating system may be a little quirky. For some reason, the UP and DOWN volume buttons on the side of the player do not work with certain file types. You can do VOL on the main wheel. I do like that you can browse the actual file structure searching for tracks. Like a hard drive. Functions threw me off for a while, but I got used to it quickly. I would say it is intuitive. There are many setup options.

You can tell this came from a true foreign company as opposed to made in a foreign company. The literature is almost incomprehensible. The online information is sketchy. The product, however, seems to be well made. I guess it is a niche company with a niche product. 99% of consumers could care less about it.

I have been using a brand new Sennheiser PX100-II. I had a spare. The unit came with quite a bit of music on it, mostly MP4's in a fairly large file size. Bonus, there are more than a few good albums on there that we do not have. WooHoo. So, I found Dire Straits - On Every Street among the files. I know that one very well. Great guitar. I have had that album on CD since it came out. I have it ripped to my IPod. The PX100-II has been my main use headphone for years. On the Fiio player the tracks sounded like the CD sounded on my Vandersteens. No kidding. HUGE difference between the IPod and its MP3's that I ripped back in the day and this setup. Same tracks. Same headphones. I don't recall what data and rate I used ten years ago. The point is, it couldn't have been too good since 8 GB was the limit. This player with higher quality files is a game changer. Picking some more tracks, I again am reminded of the sound of the Vandersteens with a CD source.

We have been playing around with various rip types. We dropped a couple of albums on as .wav just for the hell of it. 128 GB you can do that.

Once we figure out what we are doing it will be industrial-CD-ripping time.

This player will go louder than the IPod for sure. I think the IPods began to noticeably struggle with volume.

For $140 this thing is a no brainer. I do not understand why this type of product is not more mainstream. In the other hand, I guess I do understand. This is a great way to store and play digital music. I will NOT be taking it to the gym. That is what the IPods and a nasty PX100 are for.

This player sounds VERY GOOD.

I see a Fiio X5 in my future. As soon as The Kid gets all the files set up.

radioactive likes this.
  9. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

Do yourself a favor and do your rips to FLAC. You won't regret it.

chicks likes this.
  10. jocko_nc

jocko_nc Super Member

My Technical Director says he wants a file that supports metadata. I believe FLAC will do that.

11. Condorsat

Condorsat Audio Enthusiast

I use 128kbps AAC (MP4) as my standard rip rate on my FiiO X1 DAP. If I were using MP3 ... would probably opt for 192kbps.

12. Raynald

Yes, FLAC will support metadata and sound great doing it. I ripped my CDs to FLAC and use them in my music server, laptop at work, phone, Fiio as well as USB keys for one car (converted to MP3 for that one) and another digital player FM transmitter for my older car. Metadata works everywhere as supported by the player.

I guess the reason devices like the Fiio are not more popular is that phones have gotten good enough for most people and judging by my wife's S6 the best ones are very good indeed.

ldatlof likes this.
  13. radioactive

radioactive tube gear fanatic

I see a x5 in my future also .the mkiii looks like it just might be the one.

http://m.fiio.net/en/products/65

14. yardanimal

yardanimal Active Member

I bought an X1 after reading a thread started by condorstat (guy with Max Von Snydow three days of the condor avatar) I can vouche for fiio durability as I have used it 6 7 hours daily for work since last may. It has withstood many drops and yanks. All mechanical functions and buttons still intact. Had been using sony's but there newer offferings are not up to par. Tried a 24 dollar honju. The sound quality was passable for what I needed it for but stopped working after 3 days. At 100 the fiio is better sound and if its lasts for a year I will be very happy. I will buy another.

15. jocko_nc

jocko_nc Super Member

Hmmm. X5 III looks like the ticket.

16. radioactive

radioactive tube gear fanatic

It sure does.im saving up now.

17. moodydan

moodydan I love the punk rock. Subscriber

I'm another X1 user/fan. Got it a while back after looking into how people have upgraded/modded iPods (something I may still do one day) and have been very happy with it. I'm not overly critical about it because I use it in the car, but it is nice to be able to store a variety of files and not worry about converting to any given file type. I'm sure I'll upgrade to the 3 or 5 one of these days, I'll just have to see what the benefits are between the different versions.

18. rnorton

rnorton Super Member

I hope they don't leave the X5-II owners out in the cold with incomplete firmware like they did the X5-I owners (like me). The company has a bad record for becoming fascinated with the newest shiny thing and leaving their earlier customers out to twist slowly in the wind.

19. Frankie's Market

Frankie's Market AK Member Subscriber

Happy New Year folks! So I splurged on myself and just bought a Fiio X-3 on line. While waiting for it's delivery ( a week from now! grrr I hate waiting!), I wanted to purchase an appropriate SD card. I figure I should go with the largest, a 128 gb. While shopping online I see different SD cards from the same manufacturer for example Sandisk ultra 128,
    Ultra 128 Gb Microsd Extended Capacity [microsdxc] ,
    SanDisk SDSQXVF-128G-AN6MA Extreme microSD UHS-I Card with Adapter,
    SanDisk SDSQXVF-128G-AN6MA Extreme microSD UHS-I Card with Adapter, 128GB, etc all with varying prices. Any clue as to what 128gb SDcard I should purchase? and who to purchase from? Thanks, Ed

20. Raynald

A lot of fakes out there. If the price seems to good to be true...

Safest bet is to only buy in retail package IMHO.