film caps

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by john stumpf, Jun 12, 2017.

1. john stumpf

john stumpf AK Subscriber Subscriber

it would seem that stacked film caps of 1 ufd are unobtainium except on ebay if which im very suspiscious, ive got some cornel -d. 168105j50g-f that the spec sheet says "are not inductively wound" is any film cap of this value a better replacement for an ecap no matter whether its "stacked" or not ?

2. markthefixer

markthefixer On Hiatus, dealing with Dad's estate full time Subscriber

Correct, each end of the cap has just one side's foil sticking out, and it is all connected together - minimizing the path any electron has to travel "sideways" to "get out", electrolytics force the electron to go round and round until it hits the wire connection at one point on the foil.

wikipedia is your friend: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_capacitor

3. Hyperion

Hyperion Roobarb & Custard Subscriber

4. john stumpf

7,5mm spacing and those pins doesnt help much but i do appreciate your input. im quite familiar with mouser's website but by NO means am i an authority on it. are stacked film caps a thing of the past? and if a choice were to be made between an ecap in the signal path a wound metal film cap which cap is the best? to my mind at least a film wont dry out and bulge but between the two types, is the signal the same.better or worse?

5. Hyperion

Yes, almost any film capacitor is better than an electrolytic.

If I had a requirement for say... a 5mm spacing capacitor of a particular value, I wouldn't let the availability of only 7.5mm lead spacing alternatives stop me, I would find a way to make them fit, does that help?

6. goat67

goat67 AK Subscriber Subscriber

7. ConradH

ConradH AK Subscriber Subscriber

I thought many of those little block style Wimas were stacked film. Also, don't pay too much attention to the non-inductive business. It's more a marketing ploy to cast asparagus on wound capacitors and sell more of the others. When people think of a winding, they think inductance. The trick is in a capacitor the current flows in both directions in close proximity, canceling out the inductance at all but extremely high frequencies. It's just like a bight wound resistor where the wire is folded in half, canceling the inductance.

8. john stumpf

thanks fellas. its just the fact when you say "stacked" and 1mfd mouser says smd smt and thats not going to work. im not as educated as you folks and i take MTF's recommendations seriously. do you suppose that any of these on ebay are fakes? ive read other opinions elsewhere that seem to suggest that fake film caps dont exist as there's no money in it to speak of. whats your views?

9. Hyperion

Personally I assume components/capacitors are being sold on ebay because the seller can't guarantee anything about the product or its origins. They may be out of spec, a bad batch, wrongly marked - anything. Except for 'boutique' types I wouldn't think they would be a worthwhile market for 'fakes' as such.

'Smd' and 'smt' are 'surface mount' components - you don't want them, you want 'wire ended' or 'through hole' type - 'axial' or 'radial' depending on the format of the originals.

10. goat67

goat67 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I do not get you at all I gave you a link to 78 caps of just one brand that are stacked film what more do you want. Wima_1uf.JPG

MBuras likes this.
  11. john stumpf

i hear you! i didnt click your link but did the previous link. i'd seen those caps used by other's but i could never find them on mouser using their filter system.the problem it would seem is mouser's filtering system! as these are stacked film they are not included in that category even in the data sheet from wima the word STACKED is not used.one has to read between the line's and read the data sheet and see the construction detail's.i could have saved myself a lot of grief if i had known.thank you all.

12. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

13. john stumpf

thanks avionic while digi key isnt user friendly over here in the p.i. i didnt think to check it. it appears their descriptions are more accurate and im sure mr.mouser carries the same range.

14. SoundOfSound

SoundOfSound Super Member

What exactly are you looking for as far as lead space and size goes ? There are lots of stacked film caps. Just a matter of finding one that fits.

15. john stumpf

my only source of parts is mouser and r/s. i hate rs as they have minimum quantity ordering WHO NEEDS 50 OF ANYTHING? if you read whats been said, this all started with me trying to get a 50v 1 mfd stacked film cap from mouser. pretend your me log on, use the filters dont get picky just select 1 mfd stacked film and see where it gets you! couple that from with what ive read on this forum about panasonic dropping this value and you can understand how i came to the conclusions that i did. my only source of information is this forum!

16. jheu02

jheu02 AK Subscriber Subscriber

If you do several rebuilds, 50 of things like this can go pretty quickly. I order bulk in specific values that are used a lot, and save the ones and twos of things only for special values or odd voltages, etc. makes sense especially if you have the same value capacitance in a couple voltages ( say 4 10uF/10V, 3 10uF/16V and 8 10uF/25V) to just order a bunch of 10uF/25V caps and use them for all locations. Also depends audio vs non if you're into that.

17. john stumpf

yeh i know and everyone i buy to repair i justify it to myself by saying well you got all these extra caps and transistors to use up anyway! dont misunderstand i DO like working on them and i have learned a hellava lot doing so! again thank you all