Films you've saved and will watch again when there's not much on TV.

+1 on Lonestar. Another movie is The Last Lullaby, and any movie that deals with “moral flexibility”, a sub genre of movies I like to delve into.

I like it when they get the production values right.
It's interesting that in Lone Star, there's three vintage jukeboxes, a bit hard to make out with the first, in the bar that the Texans used, a 1972 Seeburg Olympian, in Otis' bar, frequented by the black troops from the base, a 1972 Seeburg Matador and in Mercedes Cruz's, a Rock-Ola 1454 from 1956. (I'm into vinyl jukeboxes).
More interesting is the director's choice of records. In Otis' bar you hear, Ivory Joe Hunter's, "Since I met you baby."

When Pilar opens up her mother's bar late at night and dances with Sam. she puts on the Spanish version of the same tune.
Pilar says her mother hadn't changed the records since she was 10. Ivory Joe hunter recorded it in 1956.

I have three really... "Age of Adaline" (2015), "True Grit" (2010), and "Eddie and the Cruisers" (1983).

Honorable mentions: "Cat People" (1982)

I mentioned "Love at the Christmas Table,"

This includes a track from a fictitious group, "Terrie and the Carlas,"

Even more curious as it appears to be a track on an LP that can be played on a wind-up gramophone at 78rpm using a non-electric tone-arm with a diaphragm with a steel needle.
But the tune is addictive.

Last edited:
Though technically "television", I have DL's and now and then watch any of several of the documentary films produced by Ken Burn, going back the The Great Dust Bowl and forward to his most recent, i.e., The Vietnam War. Lotta good material within those titles and the one in between.

Another couple of films:

Solaris (1972)
Stalker (1979)

Both by Andrei Tarkovsky. Both in Russian.

There's also a Georgian/Russian-language film trilogy on the CCCP both during and pst Stalin that I've enjoyed a few times but the exact name escapes me @ the moment. I'd have to look up the title; maybe later.

Back
Top Bottom