1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Finalizing the system with power cables

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by stoutblock, Nov 3, 2018.

1. stoutblock

stoutblock If it sounds good, it is good... Subscriber

I’ve been building my main system now for several years and finally got it to the point I think I am at my end game. One of my pet peeves is having well routed cables with no excess clutter. It is just one of those things that bug me. I had Mike at Avanti audio make all my custom length speaker cables and interconnects and they work and look exceptionally nice. I’ve had the system mostly stable now for several months so decided it was time for the power cables to be optimized. I saved the power cables for last mostly because I wanted to make sure all of my equipment was finalized and locked in for location plus I have never been a strong believer that they have a significant affect on system performance. I have a dedicated 20 amp line and good plug ins for the system so that end was covered.

I decided to make the cables myself, and even though I don’t think they are sonically that critical, I decided to splurge and bought 30’ of 14g Ag wire. I used very modest Marinco 5-15 and C13 plugs that I have used before and like how they connect and function. My system took 12 custom cords (yeah I have a lot of equipment!) with everything going through a Richard Gray power purifier. Every chord is the right length, nothing more, nothing less and gave me great satisfaction for tidiness and reducing clutter etc.

I listened to the system for a couple of weeks not really even thinking about the power cable other than things were visually better. Before I just used whatever cord came with the equipment. Then I was listening to some very familiar tracks and noticed that things were sounding exceptionally good for some reason. I just figured my ear wax had dissolved or some tubes we blossoming or something? After a few days of this, I remembered the cables and decided that is the only alteration that could have effected what I was hearing. High frequencies a little more precise and delicate and overall things just sounded a little more open and exact.

My imagination or not, I like what I am hearing and I like the looks of my new power cables :)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018
    frankbooth likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

They won’t make or break a system, but I found they can improve things long ago. Several of mine are DIY using Belden 83803 cable with Marinco plug and IEC.

stoutblock likes this.
  3. trinhsman

trinhsman AK Subscriber Subscriber

Oh NO! Another cable opinion. LET'S GET READY TO RUUUUMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBLLLLEEEE!
    Seriously, I am a firm believer in quality cables and that they can and do make a difference in the sound quality. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse. Example: Hi quality Morrow phono cable in my basement system with my AR XA turntable. HORRIBLE. Switch to a lower quality Linn Phono cable and TOTAL BLISS. Go figure.

stoutblock likes this.
  4. Mamrak1

Mamrak1 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I’ve always felt that cables should be the icing on the cake. Too many people want to use cables as tone controls. If your system is that far off you need to look elsewhere other than a new cable job.

5. Mark B

Mark B Yamaha Fan Subscriber

Guess I need to say it:

:needpics:

stoutblock likes this.
  6. stoutblock

stoutblock If it sounds good, it is good... Subscriber

Ha, somehow I knew I should have taken pictures. They really are nothing special to look at but next time I have a chance I will pull one out and take a photo.

Agree, Of all the decisions I’ve made on the selection of my audio components I would have to say the power cable is near the bottom. Without the Richard Gray purifier and dedicated 20 amp line I think cables would be even lower on the list. Solid and clean power is important.

Please register to disable this ad.