Finally a decent Radio Station!

Hajidub

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Since I've lived in Colorado Springs, Colorado the radio selections have been horrid. Of the only good stations we've ever had (3 total in 36 years) the rest have been classic rock or pop, with the typical 20 song rotation of top 10 hits. Well as of last week we received our first Jazz station. It's fantastic and I haven't heard a commercial yet. All the DJ's are soft spoken, which I like, and play 3 song sets with brief descriptions afterwards.

We used to have the best heavy rock station back in the 70-80s (KILO 94, love the drug reference) but that changed to modern hard rock. We recently got a new r&b/rap station (98.5 BLAZIN, hate the drug reference) which was ok, but sounds like a clock radio speaker (low powered station) and they run an on-air sales service in lieu of music during the day (i.e. we have 10 coupons for car detailing for only $10).

Very nice, I'm fortunate to have a great jazz station here in the Portland, Oregon area as well as a fine classical station, they're the only two that I listen to save for the occasional ball game on AM. So glad to have a beautiful McIntosh MR71 tube FM tuner. :)

One thing that I noticed since getting a car with an HD tuner are the second channels on the same frequency. 96.9 KSEG FM-HD-1 The Eagle, a rock oldies station has 96.9 FM-HD-2 The River Blues, a full on blues station. And another rock oldies station at 93.7 has a Jazz station as its second channel. When I looked up HD stations in my area I was stunned to realize that there were 35 HD stations in my area with a lot different musical styles.

I'm lucky to have a really good classical station that plays a lot of long form pieces. Late at night it seems to have hour long stretches between commercials. The rest of the FM dial here is crap.

Yeah I know that.

What do you see, specifically, in this thread, as a step in the wrong direction?

You are not going to get an answer, the comment was a thread crap about your taste in music.

Music taste is sooooooo subjective. Now that I have been streaming quite a bit I am trying out new things that I would not have even thought to listen to before.

You are not going to get an answer, the comment was a thread crap about your taste in music.

Music taste is sooooooo subjective. Now that I have been streaming quite a bit I am trying out new things that I would not have even thought to listen to before.

Yeah I know. Figured it was a thread crap. I just wanted to see.

Wish we had some radio stations around here that weren't classic rock, pop hip hop, or country. When in the work vehicle I just listen to am talk radio.

Dallas has a really awesome radio station in the form of 91.7 KXT. It's the public music station so they play a huge spectrum of music and they don't have commercials because they run on donations. They can go from classic Bob Dylan to Depeche Mode to Pearl Jam in a matter of minutes. Basically classic rock, indie, new wave, grunge and a mix of other genres. They also have Sunday night shows that'll dive heavily into country, bluegrass, jazz, etc. They make listening to the radio around here worthwhile.

The Hudson Valley in New York seems to be a place out of time for decent FM radio stations. Off the top of my head, we have something for just about everyone:

• Two Commercial Free Classical Stations(88.7 WMHT, forget the other one)
  • Classic Rock (101.5 WPDH)
  • That Independent hippie station that defies genres and plays whatever the heck music they want, ranging from obscure Dylan B-sides, to 90s pop, to local bands, to current radio hits (Radio Woodstock, 100.1 WDST, my personal favorite -- and yes, they broadcast out of the Woodstock)
  • '50s, '60s and '70s rock (WGNY Fox Oldies, 98.9)
  • Commercial Free Jazz (104.5, plus a million other spots on the dial, JAZZ FM)
  • Alternative Rock (96.9, 92.7 WRRV)
  • Top 40 (104.7 K-104)
  • 80s - today blend (100.7 WHUD)
  • Light rock (92.1 Q-92)
  • Latino music (don't recall the station)
  • Hip-hop / R&B station (96.1 KISS-FM)
  • A couple country stations (don't recall the stations)
  • Several other stations I'm not remembering.

Whenever I visit other places and search for other stations, I never hit as many places on the dial as I do in the Hudson Valley. Down in Jersey, nothing. Visiting relatives down south? Nada. On top of this, the proximity to NYC means even the AM dial is full up, (mostly sports and talk shows, but a few are music stations, and there's at least one station that still broadcasts old timey radio shows.)

If you're ever making a moving decision based solely on the availability of FM radio stations, come to the Hudson Valley! We've got you covered.

Yeah I know that.

What do you see, specifically, in this thread, as a step in the wrong direction?
Wasting a station slot for a jazz station when they have such a great choice of stations. Why add a horrid channel to a good line up?

You are not going to get an answer, the comment was a thread crap about your taste in music. .
Oh look. Not only did he get a reply, so did you.

I don't know his taste in music, so how can I crap on it? I was just responding to the OP crapping on my tastes in music. No reason to insult so many people because his minor genre isn't represented in the local scene to his satisfaction.

Oh look. Not only did he get a reply, so did you.

I don't know his taste in music, so how can I crap on it? I was just responding to the OP crapping on my tastes in music. No reason to insult so many people because his minor genre isn't represented in the local scene to his satisfaction.

OP=me? I didn't crap on anyone's music genre.

Back
Top Bottom