Finally acquired a X-202, but it has an issue

Did you change out the big .68 uF coupling caps?

Dave
All capacitors were changed on this unit. I really didn't notice any change in sound, but I could see the left woofer moving in and out while music was playing only, similar to when you get excessive rumble from a turntable. After it played for 15+ minutes it went away, so I decided to change some of the tubes. Last time I checked there was no more issue, even during warm up.

Humm. If possible then, I'd swap tubes with the other channel to see if the problem moves. I just like positively knowing what caused something to go whonkers........ Since it was super low frequency, a dirty tube socket or connection could certainly cause it. Glad you've got it on the run!

Dave

For sources that don't have a variable level output, could you simply fit say a -3db attenuator between the source and the amp to make it behave itself better? Should be able to knock one of those together easy enough or I imagine they can be bought pre-made with RCA connectors. I know they exist in BNC form for test gear use.

I'm very intrigued by this solution of simply inserting an in-line attenuator -- as opposed to having to do all the mods as kindly suggested by Dave (and which I have no doubt are excellent)

if the real issue is that modern input sources are too "hot" (high voltage), then the attentuator route seems to cure not just zero volume bleed through, but also will present the circuitry with a level more in keeping with what it was designed for, probably resulting in other benefits

but, there has to be a catch!... otherwise I can't imagine that Dave would go through all the effort to develop his mods

my web research into attentuators shows a real mixed bag of results: some posters claiming great results and no degradation of sound with lots of benefits (better overall sound, less harshness with CDs, better volume control modulation), while others say it killed their high frequencies and sparkle, and to definitely avoid using them... very conflicting

seems I can buy a pair of in-line attenuators with RCA connections for approx. $30-60, which is not outrageous considering all the (potential) benefits

NOTE:
I have a Fisher X-202 tube amp, playing an Oppo BDP-83SE disc player with output of 2.2V(?), connected via the Aux input... I currently experience sound bleed through problem at zero volume setting in both channels (but louder in the right channel), although my problem has only recently appeared [I started another thread on this here]

QUESTIONS:
Q1. what level of attenuation should I use?
Q2. will using an attenuator degrade the sound of my amp... how and by how much?
Q3. if it will degrade, would using only the lowest worthwhile level of attenuation help?
Q4. what brand of attentuator can users recommended? eg. Goldenjack, Harrison, Rothwell (I'm located in Canada, so looking for most cost-effective brand shipped there)

any advice hugely appreciated!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom