Finally all McIntosh XR-6

tuffstuff1

Not by choice but a buddy just gave me a set of XR-6 that are mint cosmetically but need the mids and woofer refoamed. I have a an MQ-101 already. Well, I have 2 actually. Now for the first time I will have an all MAC set up. Can I get suggestions or a link for new surrounds. I want the closest to original as I can get. Also, does anyone here have any experience with these speakers? Any opinions as to run them with tubes or solid state. I am thinking probably solid state since they are from that era. Thanks a bunch.

Midwest Speaker Repair in Roseville, MN sells refoam kits, and if they don't offer one specifically for the XR-6 they can put one together. They are great at answering questions if you call them, and they have fast shipping. They have had many sets of Mc speakers through there for new surrounds and other work.

They like and need power so if you do not have a pair of MC3500 mono tube amps in your Mac stable best stick with a Mc2205 or bigger.

The woofer and 8 inch lower mid just need the typical Mac refoamed parts specifically the 7/8 width roll surround for the 12 inch woofer.

I probably installed a dozen or so back in 79,80 before the Xr16s came out.....the correct MQ to use with them is the MQ104, which was designed concurrently with them, not the limited performance but purty MQ101.

Recapping the crossover, especially the Zobel cap is now past due. If the previous owner did not have a Power Guard equipped amp I would be concerned about the mid dome.

Many of theses domes were damaged by MC2105s clipping w/o PG.

I believe his signature says MC250X2 but maybe it has not updated......

I have a few graphs of the speakers actual in room performance somewhere around here that I did a few years ago...fortunately these speakers I sold and installed back in the winter of '79 had always been powered with at least a MC2205 so after a recap of the crossover they were back up to their best.

I have lots of ketching up to do here. I have been beside myself. Don't think you guys even want know what's in the stable. It's kind of nuts. Maybe I should sell a MQ-101 for a 104 (Trades off of BT shhhhh), change the caps, test the mids and call Roseville for the surrounds and yes, hook them up to my MC2500's (Tony's good memory bank) that I just finished putting new LED's in last night :). Should I change my sig to too much to list? Thanks for the tips. Coming around more and more with each day passing with the help of all my friends.

All Mac speakers from that era are linear when it comes to power handling. The higher you go in frequency the lest power they will handle, excluding the XRT 20 and 22. So you must have an amp with Power Guard. Find a owners manual see what Roger recommended in the manual. You might get by with twice the power, but understand that extra power is for peaks only!!!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom