1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Finally an EXCEPTIONAL way to review speakers. Must see!

Discussion in 'General Audio Discussion' started by jcamero, Oct 11, 2018.

1. jcamero

jcamero Who are you people anyway? Subscriber

This will blow your mind!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. E-Stat

E-Stat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Finally? I very much enjoyed hearing HP's spectacular systems live at Sea Cliff. :)

3. DC

DC "Manhattan Boy" Subscriber

Uuummm, Wow! That's pretty cool!

4. imral3

imral3 Super Member

Interesting, @jcamero ... I just subscribed so I can watch and follow their other vids. Thanks!!

5. tcdriver

tcdriver AK Subscriber Subscriber

I like it. :thumbsup:

6. onwardjames

onwardjames Hoardimus Maximus Subscriber

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Those look very impressive.

7. vinowino

vinowino Super Member

The whole setup looked great.
    I don't like to go against the grain here - but.
    I had to terminate halfway through. The sound was so shrill, piercing.
    It was only coming through my small speakers linked to my PC, but I listen to other music this way and don't get this result.

yockmyer likes this.
  8. toddalin

toddalin Super Member

If you push the couch back to accomodate the placement of the listening head, you change the room and the sound that would have been heard sitting on the couch in that position. They need a listening head on a simulated body to sit in the desired spot.

9. jcamero

She did say to use headphones for listening.

10. WillVT

WillVT Super Member

Very cool. I have always been curious about binaural recordings. In fact, I started this thread a while ago, hypothesizing that it would be a great way to hear other peoples listening spaces. It turns out the gear to make such a recording is not cheap, so it's not too feasible for most folks.

This is pretty interesting way to review and hear speakers though, and is probably the next best thing to actually being in the room. As shopping is done more and more online, and brick and mortar audio stores are becoming extinct, this could be an interesting thing. Kind of VR speaker shopping. As mentioned above, headphones are necessary to experience the full effect.

Put on your headphones and check out this short clip to get an idea what binaural recording can do.

whyaskit and nedseg like this.
  11. jcamero

I swear to God someone was knocking at the door. Nice addition to the thread.

WillVT likes this.

12. nedseg

nedseg AK Subscriber Subscriber

Binaural was a bit of a thing in the 70s; I messed around with it some, including a dummy head like this and some good electret condenser mics'. My friend and I also attempted to use it for speaker evals/critiques, but the costs and complexities (it adds more 'filters' in the chain to your brain!) kept it at 'novelty' level.
    I do like the precision of their head placement (something I've found important with REW measurements).
    Maybe with new tech & hi-res sources, wireless everything and earbuds everywhere it's time for a comeback!
    Subscribed.
    PS. Sounds 'fine' on my LSR305s/Topping D50....but will have to DL that second track to compare w/the source.

13. enginedr

enginedr Well-Known Member

I feel the only way to review a speaker is in the room you are going to us it in . If you understand your room , your personal taste , and how different speakers play rooms you will make better choices .

14. whyaskit

whyaskit music. Subscriber

I liked that she is trying to offer a way to experience another system and room. But what I really liked is that she is aware that there could be better ways of doing so and she is willing to expel them. At least that is what I got from what she said post demonstration.

This is no substitute for being in room and the variables are infinite, sofa position change, no simulated body but I liked it overall and would love to see more. It’s far better than just reading about the sound even if it is imperfect.

As a side note, the first knocking in the above track was startling. For reference, I’m listening to it via iPad to a audioquest jitterbug/dragonfly combination into Klipsch X11i. Pretty revealing.