Finally did it...

Jeffhs

As per several recommendations here on AK (at least one member, don't recall whom offhand, had told me stereo speakers don't sound their best sitting on the floor, as mine were for several years), I finally (as in a week ago) bought two stands (TechCraft), 21 inches high, for my stereo's speaker systems. They arrived here via UPS this past Friday, I put them together in about an hour, set the speakers on top of them after placing the stands in the same spots the speakers originally were (thank goodness the bases are the same size as the speakers)--and was very pleased with the results. The sound seems much better now that the speakers are closer to my ears. I honestly don't know how I got by for over four years (!) with the speaker systems on the floor, or why it took me this long to correct the situation--oh well. That was then; this is now.

BTW, my stereo is an Aiwa CX-NA888 bookshelf system, 240 total watts output, AM/FM/CD/2 cassette decks (full logic controls), surround sound, with eight-band graphic equalizer. The sound was good, I guess, with the speakers on the floor of my apartment, but now that they are off the floor by almost two feet, they sound that much better, even though I don't play my music at ear-pounding volume. I would have gotten the next larger size stands (31 inches), but I don't have a lot of room in this place (the 21" stands fit just perfectly). Should I have sprung for the larger stands or is 21 inches high enough off the floor?

I read somewhere that the average ear level for seated humans is 33-36". Measure the distance from the center of the tweeter to the bottom or base of the speaker. Subtract that value from 33 or 36 and you have the height of the stands you require. If you get free stands, and they are too tall, turn the speakers over on their heads.

Toasted Almond

Back
Top Bottom