Finally done restoring my Santa Maria II speaker set

cbret3500

Hey guys finally finished restoring my Santa Maria II speakers from the Columbus serie by RSC (Radio speakers of Canada)... Wow What a journey!! Thanks to all of u guys at AUDIOLIGHT Quebec ... You are the best!!! They sound awesome ... never heard better . Here are some pics ...

Attachments

• speaker 1.jpg
    speaker 1.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 294
  • back copy.jpg
    back copy.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 114
  • specs copy.jpg
    specs copy.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 156
Last edited by a moderator:
GREAT looking work- my first time to see them- so is there a Nina and Pinta models too?
DC

Yes ... Though i never saw them and dont know the specs there is nina model and a pinta model also.... According to the names the nina was the smaller set , the pinta was the middle one and the Santa Maria the bigger one... Anyone ever saw the others ? or heard them lol ?

The great thing bout those is that there isnt any stupid tweeters... They have a full grown sound... defined like i never heard ... nothing irritating for the ears ... Anyone else got a pair or heard them ??? I cant be the only one to have them lol... Any Canadians here ???? lol

Anyone knows where I can get some front foam like cover for those... The one that came with them is all rotted....

RSC grilles & midrange restore continued......

Cbret3500,just getting into my RSC cabs once again so thought I would add something to our tiny RSC Library,there isn't many of these Santa Maria Series speakers left,or maybe they are still in use,Ha!...Mine are,everyday!
I had a similar find to you,my RSC's had badly damaged mids and tweeter cones,from previous student owners overzealous young puppy,likely because of no grilles,surprisingly the recessed woofers survived.Phew!
I guess we have to accept any RSC Columbus series speakers from the seventy's will likely need some sort of partial restore,cabs,grilles,crossovers,as they are getting older & seem very rare as seen from the scattering of ownership across Canada.
So we 'Columbus Collectors' must do our best & improvise,just like old Chris Columbus did when he first came to our native shores.
For me its still ongoing as I find different sources as resources,I'm still looking for Jensen tweeters,but these work & sound fine for lots more enjoyable Music Listening.
After total dismantling my speakers last Summer,first came a cab sand-n-oil-n-shine,re-stuff with way less Dacron white,non itching damping,only covered back,one side and bottom with damping,removed old school intermittent slider switches,yanked mine out & we bypassed em,then re-soldered the whole crossover,checked the cap values,I kept my original caps as they were bang on,then reinstalled crossover,mounted all drivers to baffle board,I really like the way these boxes assemble.
For grilles,it was only a single afternoon job,took some Masonite and just made a simple perimeter grille frame,cut out the big center with a jig saw,painted it black & let dry for 2 hours in the Sun,covered it with new black cloth,installed(stapled),then stapled on some old Velcro from an old ripped grille I had kicking about and attached to match the Velcro tab locations on the original baffle board.Done,this really cleaned em up Nice!
I still pop off the grilles for extended Listening,these are my daily runners,I really enjoy them with Vinyl & cd through my low watt Philips 784,I see many use older Pioneer receivers with them,but this Philips is just such a perfect match for my tastes & similar(18watts)low power is plenty enough to get these big woofers moving some air to give that RSC Phat,full bodied Canadian Sound Eh!....I love it,its detailed enough,with a Lively sound.
I think I may have stumbled upon another option for Santa Maria II mids in the if anyone comes across a pair with damaged mids.
Mine,like I mentioned were puppy dogged,got em for $20.00,bought them mainly for for the woofers to try in a former TL project.
I am so glad I decided to pop the RSC woofs back in there boxes & try repairing the mids-n-tweets!.I Had nothing to loose but a bit of glue and an afternoon outside in the Sunshine.
I repaired the paper cones very gently with tweezers,X-Acto knife,using diluted white glue & tissue paper(still holding after 9 months of daily playing),they work/sound excellent,but I decided,I am going to pull em and possibly re-cone them like other folks have done to theirs,they deserve it in my opinion.
As luck would have it so I can still Listen to Music while doing repairs I came across some some vintage early Sansui SP-1000's recently,and immediately noticed that along with their almost identical box dimensions,the Sansui's have a nice sized Alnico magnet & similar large sealed back mid range...Sweet!...Its labeled an S-1000 Squawker(8ohm-25w) & it looks like it will be a drop in replacement,same bolt pattern.Looking good so far!
I Listened to the Sansui's briefly for a week before dismantling to give mint cabs to a friend for a 3-way project(I do not like the look of lattice grilles at all,not to mention they must be nuts to dust!)and sure enough,I swear their mids are identical in size and in sound to the RSC Santa Maria II's crystal clear mid range.What Luck!
The Sansui SP-1000's design also happens to be an identical 4 speaker,3-way design just like the Santa Maria,except they have a smaller 10 inch woofer.
After some Listening to this substitution and if it works or does not work I will post results...Peace & Harmonies
Altec Concert Kenny

Last edited:
RSC Santa Maria II Mid range replacements

The Sansui S-1000 mids will fit perfectly and work ok and can be used as a substitute,till originals are found or repaired.Kenny

(Bringing back an old tread... I know.)

I actually own two pairs of Santa Maria II speakers. First pair was modded by my dad in the 80's. They now sport horn tweeters and a dome super tweeters which in combination with the original midrange and bass drivers offer a great full-bodied sound and extended treble. Second pair's cabinets show great use (and age) and had every original driver working until they gave their midrange units to fix the first pair. It was a challenge to get my hands on a proprer replacement, which popped two years after in a pair of Pioneer CS-66 speakers (found for 20$). The Pioneer are smaller sized than the RSC but feature the same sized sealed midrange speakers. Basically, it was a drop in replacement. Changes in sound might be slight, but it's better than letting these mighty speakers lifeless.

The Santa Maria delivers HUGE sound, which is pleasant to say the least. But when compared to the upgraded pair I own, I hear that highs are a bit lacking on the originals.

I'm considering changing the tweeters but I'm not sure what to choose. I've also thought of changing the midrange for a 2" dome (in this case, crafting a new front baffle might be an option).

Opinions?

Back
Top Bottom