Finally finished the new install in the new home.

EJC1

I bored you with some of the prep work but the system is now done.
Eqpt:
Yamaha RX-A1080 Receiver
Front L&R: SpeakerCraft AIM LCR3
Sound Bar: Definitve Tech XTR-SSA5
Center
Front Presence
Rear Presence
Rear: Definitive Tech ProMonitor 800
SubWoofer: SC4000 8" with wireless connect

I ran a CAT5 cable to the receiver for a hard-wired internet connection and may end up doing the same with the FireTV.

In the process, I discovered a difference between the RX-A1070 and the 1080. The 1070 could be set up as 9.1 by reassigning the Zone 2 as a rear set of speakers. The 1080 doesn't allow that but according to Yamaha if speakers for rear effects are connected (the connectors are there) the Yamaha will choose whether to send the signal to the front or rear presence speakers depending on the signal it detects.

Finished the install last night and did an initial manual setup this morning. I don't like the YPAO setup anymore.
I decided to set things up a bit differently than I initially envisioned.
I decided to use the SpeakerCrafts as the main R&L speakers, rather than the sound bar R&L.
I set up the sound bar as Center, Front Presence and Rear Presence, and used the ProMonitors as the Rear R&Ls.
The SW is an 8" with the Def Tech wireless option. I appear to have gotten one that works. The 8" size appears to be adequate especially with the wood floor.

I did an initial manual setup this morning, setting the speaker bottoms, distances, and levels. So far the sound appears to be excellent. Movies have a very good sound field and trying some jazz on internet radio sounded exquisite (trying different formats).

I'm sure that there will be some tweaking as we go along but so far I'm very happy with the setup.

NU9lARd.jpg

HoTez53.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent A/V setup, EJC1. Now all you have to do is up the comfort level of the seating another notch via a purchase from My Pillow™. :D

P.S.: Before anyone attempts to scuttle my attempt at humor, I'm aware that the commercial is displaying a mattress topper for a bed. The company, for those not in the know, also makes purportedly supremely comfortable pillows as well.

Tonight I finally got to sit and watch a movie.
"Interstellar" was the choice for the evening.
I used the Yamaha AI: Surround
Very impressed with SpeakerCraft speakers. And the RX-A1080 is a beast.
The sound was awesome. This may prove to be my best system to date

As we move along.....

I just added a network switch behind the the equipment and now the Receiver, Firestick and Blu-Ray player are wired into the network.

Now that the AVR is networked, you need to download the Yamaha AV Controller App. A great remote, receiver controller App. Better than the hand-held remote.

Oh yea, nice job with the install!

Now that the AVR is networked, you need to download the Yamaha AV Controller App. A great remote, receiver controller App. Better than the hand-held remote.

Oh yea, nice job with the install!
I

I just tried the app, this may be the most painless setup ever!
I usually use a Harmony Remote but I just picked up a Fire Cube TV which just went on sale for 1/2 price ($59.99) and may try Alexa for control

The system continues to mature.
With the sales this week I upgraded the:
Blu-Ray to a Sony UB-P700 - 4K ultra HD
Fire Cube (1/2 price) 4K w/ Alexa and voice control.

Unfortunately, the TV is not 4K (yet)

Hooked up the Thorens TD-160C w/ Shure V15 III

All are wired network connections, for the Receiver, FireCube, Blu-Ray
It is getting interesting

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom