Finally found a Denon DCD-1500

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by JarredCrowe, Oct 11, 2012.

1. terra1

terra1 Addicted Member

Check the sticky at the top of this forum.
    http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=354435
    This discusses possible replacements.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Ed in Tx

Ed in Tx Super Member

Yep I remember that now. Covers the problem but you still have to either cut out a rubber washer from Ace hardware, or make one from a felt pad. Hoping someone had found a drop-in replacement without modification or cutting.

3. Ed in Tx

Ed in Tx Super Member

This is the stuff I made a clamp pad out of.
    http://www.eminess.com/products/polishing_pads/poromeric/politex_hi

A "proprietary polyurethane vertically oriented pore structure with a compressible substrate" .

This material looks and feels like some sort of rubberized felt. Had a piece left over from a prior employer. Works perfectly if I just had a good way to cut it.

Attached Files:

4. jimbofish

jimbofish for TRULY GREAT MUSIC

If you can find thin-walled pipe or tubing (copper water pipe, conduit) with an ID close to the right size, sharpen the edge of one end with a file or grinding wheel so it's reasonably sharp. Put the material on a block of soft wood, place the pipe over it, then tap it with a hammer. You'll have to eyeball the inner hole to get it centered.

or

Sandwich it between some thin plywood with removable adhesive and use hole saws to cut out the proper size washer-sandwich, then separate.

5. LocknLoad

LocknLoad New Member

Jarred - You're going to like that DCD1500 - I've owned mine since new - I think I paid a ton for that thing lol but it's been the best player I've owned and still working beautifully.

6. bobbyonions

bobbyonions AK Member

I picked up a mint 1500 a few months back at a thrift store. I looked it over and was impressed by how smooth and robust the transport seemed. I was happy to find that it sounds rather nice and is built like a brick house.

Mine has been in very light duty for the time that I have had it. Seems to work perfectly. All the cueing and search functions are very responsive.

I was a little surprised to not find a bunch of info about modding these units. I have an older Magnavox/Philips player that is real popular for modding. Not finding anything on the 1500 though.

7. Ed in Tx

Ed in Tx Super Member

When I mentioned a while back I picked up a DCD-1500II, I got PMs from one or two people trying to sell me upgrades or upgraded machines, so apparently modifications do exist for a price. I have a 1500 and a 1500II, that are still stock btw.

8. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

Picked up a near mint 1500 yesterday. Nothing I need, but I looked into it when it came up on CList here and based on what most on here think of the unit I figured I would give it a go. Includes te remote (otherwise I wouldn't have bothered) and the seller was just about a mile away. Functions flawlessly thus far and not a scratch on it. Very nice sounding of course. Something fun to give a try. no rosewood side panels, but I might have to make some.
    Denon 1500.jpg

Dswankey, BigElCat and selwaycrags like this.
  9. Mike Gibson

Mike Gibson Modulator Staff Member Super Mod Subscriber

Long ago I sort of collected Denon & Sony CD/DVD players. The Denons I've had include a 1500, 1560, 1650 AR, 1800, 2560 and a 3300. The 1650 AR sounded a lot better than the others. The 1500 sounded really good. Any Denon with 4 digit number I liked. Denon DVD players I used mostly for CD's include DVD 1910 which was my first and sounded so bad I gave it away. DVD 2910,DVD 3910, 3800 bdci, and DVD 5900. All the better DVD players they made had the option to turn off the video circuitry when listening to CD's if you wanted.

The Sony's I had/have XS 111, NS 990, and 707 ESD. The 707 sounds better than anything I own except for the Denon 1650 AR and the McIntosh MCD 205.

Back then if a unit weighed under 20lbs. I didn't consider it. :) Which isn't an absolute measure of quality just a quick reference. :) As for the sound of these it's all my opinion. YMMV. I have pictures of some I still have if anyone is interested send me a PM.

darkblue94 likes this.
  10. bimasta

bimasta Super Member

I have a 1520. It was very good. It began to mis-read. I hoped cleaning the lens would fix it, and it wasn't a dying laser. But before I could even try, the transport began making noises, and soon failed altogether. The problems may be related, i.e. the laser may be fine.

But is a very old machine worth the time to repair? I have better now (transport + DAC) and am unlikely to use it as a CDP. I'd like to try it as a transport, but since that's what need rebuilding, it would have to be a lot better than my current transport — and I don't see that happening.

I now have a very impressive, very heavy, CDP of no use.

But that's just mine. If yours is working, it's a very good player, and at thrift shop prices a steal.

11. bimasta

bimasta Super Member

"Speed is fine but accuracy is final". Wyatt Earp 1888

Great quote Mike. Where'd you find that?

Did you know Wyatt Earp was Head of Security for the Jack Johnson/James J Jeffries heavyweight fight? They feared a race riot — it didn't happen. Maybe because Johnson beat Jeffries so thoroughly.

12. Dswankey

Dswankey Super Member

Nice plus it has variable out's so you can hook it up directly to an amp. I use mine with a tube console pull and it works great.

13. Drugolf

Drugolf AK Subscriber Subscriber

Exactly. I have a similar Sony with the variable volume on a vintage system in my bench work area just for that reason. Right now the Denon is hooked up in my office to the Pioneer SA9100 so it serves the same purpose there and gets controlled from my desk.

I've got a cool little collection of older CD players going that I've picked up for pretty cheap along the way and as they have come up:

Adcom GCD575
    Sony CDP-C85ES
    Denon DcD-1500
    NAD C542
    Oppo DV-980H