Finally Got A 9090DB

MorePower

Vintage Audio Freak
I have been wanting a 9090DB for some time now, and was able to win one on ebay. The receiver looks wonderful, original owner (seller claims) owners manual, schematic, and service Manual. The only problem the seller claims is, when in FM mode the left channel drifts out after playing for a long period. I had a Kenwood that had a similar problem, but after cleaning the pots and switches it performed very well. Could this 9090DB have the same problem? Any tips for cleaning the pots and other components in the 9090DB? Thanks for any help:) :D :thmbsp:

You can use Deoxit and progold by caig you can find it at parts Express. Great stuff.
I have a 8080 and I love it welcome to the Sansui club.

Last edited:
Congrats, I think that was the one I was checkin out before I went for the G8000, NICE peice man.... Good Luck with the pots....Michael...

The Dolby selector switch has been known to cause all sorts of intermittent problems on the 9090DB. The switch is kinda hard to get to to clean but is well worth the effort. This switch along with the intermittent dial lights plague just about all of the X0X0DB series.

Bill

I have had good results using Meguiar's #17 Clear Plastic Cleaner and a MicroFiber towel, to "Tune Up" the clear plastic panels. Don't use it on any lettering (inside) as it will fudge them up. For the face plate, knobs, I use Endust for Electronics (Safely Cleans PC Monitors) and doesn't seem to hurt the lettering. I use Deoxit (small bottle with a nail polish-like brush) to dress the RCA jacks and clean some pots where the spray version would get all over the place. As a clean car seems to run better, a clean receiver seems to sound better to me...

MorePower,
The best way to access the Dolby and push switches is from the top with the tuner section removed as a unit. The whole frame for the tuner board and dial is actually pretty simple to remove. It is best not to disturb the Dolby and push switch boards. They are very temperamental if moved.

The push switches are a little tricky to clean. If you look at them closely most have one or two small holes in the top cover. Use the wand on the deoxit can to spray into the holes while working the switch. Go slow and allow it to work in. The pots can be accessed with the bottom cover off.

Good luck with your new toy!

- Pete

PS, you have to remove the face plate before removing the tuner section.

Last edited:
I hate to say this, but the seller was bogus. The 9090DB that was pictured in the listing was not the one that was sold to me. The seller tried to sale me a beat up 9090, not a good condition 9090DB. The seller said that he would refund my payment, less the paypal and ebay fees. So.... if I get the refund, I will be looking for another 9090DB. Got One ? :(

The 9090DB that was pictured in the listing was not the one that was sold to me. The seller tried to sale me a beat up 9090, not a good condition 9090DB. The seller said that he would refund my payment, less the paypal and ebay fees.
Can you say "Fraud"? Sure you can....

Even as ****ed-up as eBay is, I think they'd back you up on this one..

How about a link to the auction?

It sure sounds like fraud to me. On another note, have I got a deal for you... Just kidding. No way your 9090db is worse than mine.

EchoWars
Let me see if the seller will refund my money first, then I'll post the link. I have always been honest when I sold a peice of equipment on ebay. I will not sale something unless I know it's at peak performance, that is why I have never had a buyer complan about the equipment I sold. Oh well, if your dishonest it will come back to you. ;) :D

Back
Top Bottom