Finally Got My Mitsubishi Receiver!

Congrats,

I love the Mitsubishi gear as well. I did recently get a DA-R20 that the amp section doesn't work on. I gave my daughter a DA-R11 for Christmas, I had purchased it to give her and then hated to see it go. I'll keep my eyes out for one like yours. I love the look and the quality of the build

Congrats,

I love the Mitsubishi gear as well. I did recently get a DA-R20 that the amp section doesn't work on.

Have you thought about checking out the STK packs? On the one I have they are quite accessible, though I'm not sure if you have the same layout. I know if this one fails I will certainly try to get it working.

Have you thought about checking out the STK packs? On the one I have they are quite accessible, though I'm not sure if you have the same layout. I know if this one fails I will certainly try to get it working.

The STK packs are located exactly as yours are. I need to get a schematic for this and then some free time to check it out. I'm in no rush. I want it for my bedroom with limited space near the bed so a receiver with a nice tuner is ideal. I have a F10, and F30 tuner, a P20 and P30 Preamps and 2 DA- A30 amps with 2 DP EC20 tables. Yes I do enjoy the Mitsubishi gear too

Never seen that receiver before. Wow. And I've seen a lot of receivers in my life...
In Europe only the separates sometimes pop up - very rarely.

Wonderful design.

Moneycat what are the specs on that receiver?
Do you own Mitsubishi speakers from that era?

Nice receiver.:music:

It's 45 watts per side, and has quite a good tuner section. It's bigger brother shares this design at 65 per with pre-out/main-in jacks. That is the DA-R20.

And no, I don't have Mitsu speakers. They are rare, and when seen may be called Diatone.

It's 45 watts per side, and has quite a good tuner section. It's bigger brother shares this design at 65 per with pre-out/main-in jacks. That is the DA-R20.

And no, I don't have Mitsu speakers. They are rare, and when seen may be called Diatone.

Do you have the specs on the tuner? Just curious. Is it better on AM or FM or both?

That receiver really does have 'the looks".

My Mitsubishi floor standing speakers are model DS-50CS (6 ohm)
circa 1980's I believe.

They also made some things which were a bit more lethal.

As for the Tuner it does pull stations in quite well on both FM and Am with very basic antennae, but I don't have the specs and have not used the tuner much yet. I'm not in a good reception situation being on a ground floor facing a hill, and not in the direction of most transmission sources, but am not in the boondocks either.

Some more details here:

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/mitsubishi_amfm_stereo_receiver_da_r10.html

FM tuner info has details on some of the Mitsubishi offerings. They rate the DA-F10 well, but the DA-F20 very highly. They also tested the Mitsu receiver, the DA-R20 but not the 10 and gave it a pretty good rank but as they said: "it ain't no F20"

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/receivers.html

http://www.fmtunerinfo.com/reviewsM-N.html#mitsubishi

Last edited:
I love Mitsu gear, wouldn't trade mine off for nothing, makes my home office my favorite place to listen to tunes and tune out everything else. (the wife doesn't much like that part):D

Im a super big fan of this piece of gear, but I'm just getting into the whole vintage audio world. I just picked one of these up and was hoping someone here would be able to direct me in the way of some reasonably priced speakers that would pair well with the Mitsubishi DA-R10 Receiver. Im trying to set up a small living room listening station for me and my wife, so something that would fill a typical living room would be optimal. Im hoping to stay with something tried and true and have a lot of trouble understanding exactly what i need to power whatever i get correctly as to not hurt the amp. Sorry for such a newbie question, any help would be appreciated. Especially if we can keep it fairly cheap. New or old.

Ha - funny someone brought this old thread up. I've got a DA-R20 on the bench right now that I'm looking at for a friend. Both STK 1060 output packs are blown and I want to check everything out but I can't find a service manual for it anywhere. Fortunately it's got pre-out/main-in jacks so it can be used as a preamp / tuner (and a fantastic one at that) but he really wants the 60 watt amp section working too. If anyone has a service manual for it please give a shout, I don't want to just blindly put replacement packs into it and blow them out (if I can even find real ones) as I'm pretty sure something upstream is bad too. Great tuner in this thing, very decent preamp section too.

In general I think you're wise to be concerned about upstream problems - but my experience with these particular receivers has been otherwise. I think if you replace the STKs with new ones from a trusted supplier (you might check at bdent.com) , and bring the receiveer up on a DBT, you are unlikely to find any other problems.

Cheers,

chazix

$50 .... for what appears to be a well kept "vintage" piece of hi fidelity history... !

YOU sir are a candidate for... "Let's Make A Deal" :thumbsup:.!

Hey everyone. New hear. Just jumping into the fray.

Recently found a DA-R10 at a killer deal locally via Craigslist. Hooked it up and is playing well and sounds good but there is a lot of popping/grinding from the pots when moving level/balance/volume adjustment knobs. I understand that I need to clean the pots but I am not 100% certain of the best method to do so. I had a reliable source say that using a contact cleaner or electronic cleaner is not the best option and he suggested to use WD-40. Any advice on the best manner to go about cleaning the pots is very welcome.

The only other issue is the illumination behind the display for the tuner controls. Anyone ever sourced and replaced the (I actually haven't taken it apart yet I'm sorry but I'm assuming) bulbs behind the tuner lock and strength dials? The main control is illuminated and it is functional. FWIW I am not that focused on this aspect. I rarely listen to radio but would like the aesthetic of the receiver to show through if possible.

Photos someday. Looks great and looks a lot like any photo you've seen.

Thanks!

Hey everyone. New hear. Just jumping into the fray.

Welcome!

DA-R10 should have a total of two incandescent bulbs, one for the meters and one for the tuning scale. Alas, I don't remember what voltage/wattage they are. You can get the voltage with an AC voltmeter across on the bulb terminals, and something in the vicinity of 1/2 watt would be about right.

The bulbs have little booties that are sort of a sqush-fit into openings in internal sheet metal bulkheads. I vaguely recollect that I've used "wedge" style lamps of T3-1/4 size to replace these, soldering the existing wires to the little loop terminals on the wedge lamps. I believe the original lamps have a green coating - I just use a permanent marker to come close to that.

AM member dgwojo is an expert on replacement lamps, and a supplier, so you might try a PM to see if better advice and/or better replacements are available.

I don't regard myself as an outstanding expert on cleaning pots, but I think you would find more AKers using Caig "FaderLube" (or whatever they call it these days) than WD-40.

Cheers,

chazix

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom