Finally got the last receiver I'll ever need

That is just too cool, think of all the funds you now have for chiropractic visits after moving those monsters around.
Oh but what makes the 22K so cool is because its in two parts, its not heavy at all, the power-amp is somewhat heavy but its compact so its easier to manage...
Easier to move around than the SX1250 I have here at the moment...

I have a G-22000 and would like to know how the sound of it compares to the SX-1980!

I have listened extensively on the same speakers to a customers SX1980 which I fully restored, and my own G22000.
TO be honest there is not a lot in it, but I would say the G22K edges out ahead, its just a tad more refined, it has a little more "silk" in its sound.
Will be interesting to see what Matt says about it........I am intrigued!!

Well, I couldn't wait, so I hooked it up and noticed that the power amp switch was OFF. No way, it can't be that simple, can it? Fired it up on the DBT just in case, bulb goes bright, dims down and then, CLICK, all the protection relays engage and the green light comes on.
:eek2:

Not only does it work in both channels, the bias and offset didn't even need adjusted, it's almost perfect. The controls are slightly scratchy, but it works, full clear sound out of both channels. So now, not only did I score it, I borderline stole it, because the price I bought it at was with the understanding that it will need repair. I'm over the moon right now. :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

Dont you just love that!! Although, I am not surprised, often people overlook the simplest things before they give up and say "it doesn't work"....
Aren't they just the most behemoth receiver ever!! I still marvel at mine, and I first saw it 7 years ago!!

Jesus christ that thing is HUGE.

No matter how much you imagine the size, when you finally see one in the flesh, its even bigger....

Here's mine sitting next to a customers SX1250 Pioneer which I am soak testing after a full restore....and we all know how big a SX1250 is!!
IMG_6601.JPG

Very nice. I've had one here a couple of times and they sure are a beast. Congratulations.

Rob

I just got a g 33000, it makes my SX 1980 look small, even my Technics sa 1000 looks small compared to the G 33000. It kind of reminds me of the 1980s when companies Were building oversized boomboxes otherwise known as ghetto blasters

That is a serious piece of hardware no doubt. Bloody awesome that you got it "non-working" and it just needed the amp section powered up. I presume the non-working state allowed you to get it at a nice discount.

I guess I need to start contemplating a 22 or 33000 one of these days. Got almost everything else I wanted after 22 years of collecting, so there are only a handful of Sansui rarities left for me to pursue now. In any case, congrats on a killer score.

Great talking to you today.

Great units to have. You lucky &*%.

Did you happen to also get a few or even one lottery tickets on the way to or back that day?

Barney

I should have got some tickets, but alas I did not. Despite it working however, the big G is not without issues. Apparently at a point in its life the left channel suffered a short, two of the outputs and both drivers have been replaced with ECG replacements. :thumbsdown: So, I'm going to need to test all the outputs on that side and find new drivers along with (as long as the others test okay) one 2SA909 and one 2SC1586. One of the filter caps on the right channel has also puked a little. Good news is that the rest is original, fan works great and the Sansui glue damage isn't too bad. This was also stored in a very dusty place, as in, :yikes:. Below is just a sample, I've spent 2 days cleaning this thing. Image heavy!

Qped1Pu.jpg

zG7LZzI.jpg

mSuX958.jpg

vP7WnYm.jpg

Oq1Ccky.jpg

4dbQapa.jpg

1oQNa5L.jpg

W5jRJUV.jpg

p4PTdQh.jpg

tWJJ8jc.jpg

PhJEy4B.jpg

CpDrxKc.jpg

Also, if anyone could point me at the proper screws to secure the two halves together it would be greatly appreciated, I cannot seem to find the sizing and this unit did not have them.

Cleaning up nicely.

You got real lucky on that one! Knowing the history of the deal and all.

Barney

I should have got some tickets, but alas I did not. Despite it working however, the big G is not without issues. Apparently at a point in its life the left channel suffered a short, two of the outputs and both drivers have been replaced with ECG replacements. :thumbsdown: So, I'm going to need to test all the outputs on that side and find new drivers along with (as long as the others test okay) one 2SA909 and one 2SC1586. One of the filter caps on the right channel has also puked a little. Good news is that the rest is original, fan works great and the Sansui glue damage isn't too bad. This was also stored in a very dusty place, as in, :yikes:. Below is just a sample, I've spent 2 days cleaning this thing. Image heavy!

Qped1Pu.jpg

zG7LZzI.jpg

mSuX958.jpg

vP7WnYm.jpg

Oq1Ccky.jpg

4dbQapa.jpg

1oQNa5L.jpg

W5jRJUV.jpg

p4PTdQh.jpg

tWJJ8jc.jpg

PhJEy4B.jpg

CpDrxKc.jpg
Oh man, I feel you on that dust situation, my G9000 was like that, except it was wood dust, it was obviously in a wood working shop, took forever to clean it out.
My G22000 runs MJ21193/94, but make sure you get the right drivers, I was lucky to be able to find some NOS 2SC2238 and 2SA968 Toshiba's from Germany.
The Screws are hard to find but a common metric size. They are M8 x 1.25, I can't remember the length, although I cut my screws down to fit, they need to be quite short.
Wait until you get to the tuner alignment, man these tuners are incredible, they sound amazing and have the lowest distortion of any tuner I have worked on....

The original screws that hold the two halves together were 8x1.25 cap screws with plastic washers to protect the paint. I think I have some stainless steel ones in stashed away somewhere. We have an awesome little hardware store down by the port of Long Beach that stocks all kinds of exotic fasteners. They have the correct size cap screws in either the original black carbon steel or stainless steel. If you want to get a little fancier they even have button head cap screws. I'll make a run down there and buy a bunch if anyone is interested.

- Pete

Matt!!!!…..just reading this....congrats to you buddy. Can you imagine hearing this with Dave's Polks?....:) I am so happy you found a monster.

Matt,
I'm curious if you've survived a meeting with the Monster Receiver Guy on the east side of Indianapolis?

Steve

Back
Top Bottom