Finally got the last receiver I'll ever need

Question for those with a 22000 or 33000, has anyone come up with a way to fix or replace the locking collar for the preamp cable? I just realized it is supposed to have a locking collar, but the one I have does not. It works as it is just fine, but the extra security to make sure it doesn't come loose would be nice.
When I purchased my G 33000 a couple of months back It came with the cord connector cut off so I had my tech installed a new male and female cord connector. It's not OEM but it works good and and it looks Factory. I can take pictures and find part numbers if you would like to see my cord connectors

Last edited:
Nice, what did you use for drivers? Its a bit tricky finding something with the same bandwidth in a TO220 for these. I ended up getting some NOS toshiba's from Germany.(plus some spares)
There are not many caps in the signal path, some on the Phono pre, flat amp and EQ, and thats it, I used Nichi ES for the Bipolar and Nichi KT for polarised, and Nichi PW in the powersupply...
I went up to 22,000µF for the mains, can't remember what make the caps are, but I am actually going to slip some Gold Tunes in there when I get a chance.
The tuner is very interesting to align, when you do though, it comes up great, it has amazing performance. Of course you have to get a bit creative with some of the steps as Sansui love to specify a GeneScope for the IF alignment...
I use my tracking generator and Spectrum analyser for that...

You might find you will want to disconnect the trigger diodes for the over-current protection on boards F2902 and F2903, which is D12.
The way its set up, you can barely make 100watts RMS before the protection kicks in, this is when you're playing music.
Of course when you run a sine wave, it goes to to 220 watts on the meter which is what power Sansui decided to allow us to have, but on a brick wall basis....and this is where I think Sansui blew it, because obviously music is dynamic, some of those peaks are fast, too fast for any meter to pick up and harmless to the amplifier as the are only µS peaks, but it trips the protection.
I messed with the circuit a bit, but found it was still too trigger happy.
It really needs some sort of "look ahead limiting" which allows a certain level of peak to pass, and then just clamp the rails rather than shutting the amp down.

Looking forward to your impressions of the 22 when you compare to the 1980....
My G 33000 does the same thing . It shuts down the amp way too soon. My g-9000 also shuts down way too soon. My tech said he could bypass the protection circuit. But for now I decided to leave it alone.

My G 33000 does the same thing . It shuts down the amp way too soon. My g-9000 also shuts down way too soon. My tech said he could bypass the protection circuit. But for now I decided to leave it alone.
Do it, as long as you are sensible with it, you won't have any issues at all. I think its essential if you are running lower impedance speakers like I am, I have the JBL L7's and they are a 6Ω nominal load, but I think they dip a lot lower at certain frequencies...
On you G33000, on the F2902 and the F2903 boards, you would remove D11, this is the diode which triggers the over-current protection.
On the G9000 you would remove D15/16 on the F2809 board.

Can anybody enlighten me if the G22K and G33K will handle a 4 ohm load? I currently have a Pioneer SX-1980, Marantz 2500, and a Sansui G-9000DB. All drive my Legacy Audio speakers with no problems. I have been dreaming about the big G22K/33K for some time now, but read that the speaker load for the G33K was 8 Ohm minimum....Anybody able to enlighten an old man...

(If you don't work on your gear, or at least accept you'll have to send it will need a bit of maintenance from time to time, then perhaps vintage isn't your bag?)

I walked into a stereo shop in 1976 at 19 yrs old and came out with a Sansui 9090 and still have it set up...so vintage isn't my game. Your flippant remark doesn't fly and you know nothing about me. My G-8000 was recapped by a Sansui expert here on the forum and apparently didn't think as you. The receivers of that era just can't produce with 4 ohm speakers. I had a Marantz 2325 and a Sansui 9090 DB that also shut down when played the same as the 8000....and are all gone. The 2205 fills the void nicely and can dip to 2 ohm. Will the 1980 handle the 4 ohm.....I don't know...I won't test it!....lol...so it stays with the HPM-150's and pounds nicely.

The reason for all the questions is I know little so I inquire....but the allure of the 22000 was strong....especially after Matt found one and loves it. My quandary with repairs is the long lead time. I have waited for over a year on some stuff and anyone good has a long list of repairs and work. I guess it may come to me getting away from the old audio when the hassles of owning are not worth the time.

I have a G-9000DB and it drives my Legacy Audio Studio HDs (4 Ohm) just fine.....

Can anybody enlighten me if the G22K and G33K will handle a 4 ohm load? I currently have a Pioneer SX-1980, Marantz 2500, and a Sansui G-9000DB. All drive my Legacy Audio speakers with no problems. I have been dreaming about the big G22K/33K for some time now, but read that the speaker load for the G33K was 8 Ohm minimum....Anybody able to enlighten an old man...
Nonsense, the G9000/22000/33000 are all very capable of driving 4Ω nominal load. The problem arises when certain makes of speakers have different or difficult impedance curves.
The problem is the static nature of the design of the over-current protection, its set for a very tight trigger at exactly 220 watts at 8Ω (G22000). BUT, this is a ridiculous way of doing it, because depending on the variance in impedance, sometimes the protection can kick in as early as 50watts rms, using V=IR you can see why this happens.
The output devices are capable of a lot more than the protection allows them to do. Most professional amplifiers have some kind of dynamic current limiting with overshoot. Small microsecond peaks are not going to blow up your output devices, and this is where Sansui didn't have a plan for how to manage this.
The 4Ω speakers you are using on the G9000 may have a nice easy impedance curve, and if you never really turn it up past about 30watts on the output meters then you are in the safe zone.

^What he said. And on a different note, my G-22000 parts are coming! I will be starting a thread on the restoration soon.
Nice one Matt I'll be looking forward to seeing how you go with you one, mine is coming on the bench soon for new speaker terminals, dismantling and deep cleaning of all the lever switches in the pre-amp....Always something to do on these babies..

Something like this and this maybe? Appears to be very similar to the original. I'll need to check the diameter of the socket that goes in the power amp, but I think it might fit without modification. The plug itself has the same length and diameter as the original.
That is the same set that is used on my Totaldac to connect supply to DAC. Very excellent connectors.

Just a reminder to everyone in this discussion. If you haven't posted your serial numbers please do. The more serial numbers we collect, the more accurately we can estimate production numbers.

- Pete

Nonsense, the G9000/22000/33000 are all very capable of driving 4Ω nominal load. The problem arises when certain makes of speakers have different or difficult impedance curves.
The problem is the static nature of the design of the over-current protection, its set for a very tight trigger at exactly 220 watts at 8Ω (G22000). BUT, this is a ridiculous way of doing it, because depending on the variance in impedance, sometimes the protection can kick in as early as 50watts rms, using V=IR you can see why this happens.
The output devices are capable of a lot more than the protection allows them to do. Most professional amplifiers have some kind of dynamic current limiting with overshoot. Small microsecond peaks are not going to blow up your output devices, and this is where Sansui didn't have a plan for how to manage this.
The 4Ω speakers you are using on the G9000 may have a nice easy impedance curve, and if you never really turn it up past about 30watts on the output meters then you are in the safe zone.
My G 33000 is going back in the shop to have the protection circuit bypassed, my G 33000 will even trip the circuit on a 8 ohm load it's really annoying.

My G 33000 is going back in the shop to have the protection circuit bypassed, my G 33000 will even trip the circuit on a 8 ohm load it's really annoying.
Its a disconnect, not really a bypass.

Remove D11 on both the F2902 and F2903 boards, which are in the bottom of the power amp. They are the ones that have the protection circuit, regulated supplies and speaker relays on them.
Easiest way would be to just clip one of the legs on the diode and bend it out of the way.

You could do it yourself, it would take about 15mins from beginning to end including removing the bottom of the power-amp.

And, yeah it will do it on 8Ω speakers as well, that circuit is not very well set up.

Thanks for the reply, I don't know why, but I really want to pick up a G-33K to add to my collection. I already have a Marantz 2500 hooked up to a set of Legacy Audio Focus SE's, a Pioneer SX-1980 mated up to a set of Cerwin Vega 316R's, and of course the Sansui G-9000DB hooked up to my Legacy Studio HD's. Running out of places to set up stereo systems...:confused:

Thanks for the reply, I don't know why, but I really want to pick up a G-33K to add to my collection. I already have a Marantz 2500 hooked up to a set of Legacy Audio Focus SE's, a Pioneer SX-1980 mated up to a set of Cerwin Vega 316R's, and of course the Sansui G-9000DB hooked up to my Legacy Studio HD's. Running out of places to set up stereo systems...:confused:
Hahaha...I know why!! Because they are so freak'n awesome!! Seriously I enjoy the sound of my G22000 more than the McIntosh C33/MC2205 I used to use in my music room....
They really are next level, if you like your G9000, then you'll fall in love with a G22/33000....

haha this is exactly what happened to me I got the Pioneer SX 1980 and then for some crazy reason I thought I needed the G 33000 and the 2600 plus the Technics sa-1000

I have a G-9000DB and it drives my Legacy Audio Studio HDs (4 Ohm) just fine.....

Awesome...:)... But...what I discovered is when playing bass heavy music at higher wattage, is when the shutdowns occurred.

Try your receiver at around eighty watts on these songs... Peter Gabriel- Growing Up...then Love Town....followed by Ian Dury- Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick. If it passes that....you got a winner...winner chicken dinner! Not of mine did except the 2205 of course...and won't try the 1980!..lol.

Back
Top Bottom