Finally Pulled Out the Roland A-30...

jocko_nc

MIDI Keyboard Controller.

I was mystified about how these MIDI things worked. I found this instrument at the Goodwill a while back. Again, who on Earth would dump such a thing? I never did anything with it except power it up. Thought about selling it, but I had not really tested.

My kids have been YouTubing piano parts on a computer program that looks like Rock Band, but for real instruments. I believe it was Synthesia. I was intrigued, anything to help them learn. Maybe even me. ???. I do know that a MIDI interface would allow that controller to talk to a software-based synthesizer and any teaching software. So, I have decided to bring the A-30 up from the basement.

Now. I will need re-arrange a ton of stuff to allow for the computer keyboard and monitor. Back to the wood shop... Still, I wondered if the A-30 could daisy-chain into another MIDI keyboard device. ???. My girl uses a Roland Juno-D. I plugged the cable in and, viola, a secondary keyboard! The voices assigned perfectly, everything that looked so impossibly complicated seems easy enough to use!

All said, the A-30 is a nicer keyboard: More keys. Better build. Heavier action. Way to go, Goodwill.

For the time being, I will play through the Juno as a satellite. Eventually, we cut the Juno loose and find a decent interface and software system.

This is FUN.

Anyone have recommendations for a USB / MIDI interface? Also, how about software? Synthesizer and play-along tutorials?

I have an A-30. It came as part of a purchase of a used Roland JV 1080 rack synth. The A-30 is my keyboard of choice for playing the JV1080 because of its full sized keys etc, but it can be a real pita to program. There are resources on the internet which can help including editing programs for its parameters.

I also have a Korg MicroKorg synth which doubles as my controller for playing the soft synths (in Reason). The midi interface I use with that is an M-Audio UNO which is cheap, simple, easy to use and highly recommended...

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno.html

I also have a Behringer BCA2000 midi control interface which I use to output the results into my external digital recording setup and monitors, but for most who choose recording in the box you won't require anything like that.

Yea, I cannot imagine programming... Patched through the Juno, it mimics the settings of the Juno. You get all the controls.

I have an A-33 and love it. It triggers a Voce Hammond Module and a Roland SC-V88. The A33 and the A30 are identical except for the dual midi outputs on the 33. Manual Programming for either is a complete nightmare. There is a free programming tool available here: http://www.uttis.de/a33/index.htm that makes programming this controller an absolute breeze, Its designed for the A33 but should work on the A30 also. Definitely give it a try. Its totally user friendly.. just pont-click-write. You can have your controller programmed in just a few minutes and best of all it allows you to visually SEE the settings on each patch.

As far as a midi interface, just about any will work for the A30/33. I use an M-Audio Uno like wadeus suggested. Works great. Radio Shack carries them.

PS: I've seen used A-30's go for as high as $299. You really scored at Goodwill.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom