Finally some stands for my DQ-10s

Blue Shadow

Waiting for Vintage Gear from this century
You guys may have seen pics of my DQ-10s on dining room chairs, a pretty good height for the speakers. I have also used the original feet (3" off the ground), milk crates (11"), Sansui SP-8000x on their sides (18", the same as the dining room chairs). I like this higher level best as it presents the sound at normal levels.

Listening with the feet was like listening into an orchestra pit and the 11" crates were still a bit low. The chairs worked but they are chairs..Then a trade came up and I jumped at the chance to have stands made in exchange for a speaker project I had. Done deal.

Dahlquist made a couple different stands for the speakers during their 14 year run. One the three black risers square on point and one with a veneered monolith pedestal between base and top plate. These were 11" tall and my new stands are on average a third larger. 14% wider, 36% deeper and 50% taller. They look great and give the speaker a complete presence with the stand looking fully a part of the speaker. There are a number of stands out there made by different people and a google of Dahlquist DQ-10 stands will bring lots of pictures but I really like these and they put the speaker at a height that is comfortable for listening.

My stands b.jpg

Now to set them up correctly again.

Last edited:
I grabbed some prints from the Dahlquist yahoo group files and through my different options prior to commissioning these determined the sizes that these were made. Just guessing here and there. If you need dimensions, I can supply em, just let me know.

Nice. I have the OEM monolith stands and they are just kinda blah. I like this design and the added height.

I grabbed some prints from the Dahlquist yahoo group files and through my different options prior to commissioning these determined the sizes that these were made. Just guessing here and there. If you need dimensions, I can supply em, just let me know.

Please do. I'm ready to build a set of stands.

Very classy looking! They are a perfect complement to the DQ-10's.

Okay some more info about theses stands. The top piece is two pieces of walnut the top plate and the raised edge. The raised edge is to allow the stand to be used with the edge forward or backward. If forward, this will tilt the speaker a bit upward, this putting the raised edge right next to the lower extension of the grille. If used with the raised edge to the rear it is a back stop so the speaker will not slide back off the stand.

The top piece for these stands are 20½" wide x 8¼" deep (including the raised edge) x 3/4". The edge is the same 3/4" width, 1¼" tall providing a ½" lip. Because they are solid walnut, I hate to cover them with speakers but heck that is what they are for. Note the top plate has countersinking for the lag screws used to hold the stands together.

Top Piece.jpg

The base of the stand is a couple ½" sheets with a walnut veneer on the top. There is a Walnut trim piece about 2½" wide around the two sheets. The corners are braced underneath with wood blocks that sit flush with the bottom of the stand. This is most excellent because these braces can be used to put soft feet if the stands are used on hard floors or spikes for use on carpet. These bottom pieces are 25" x 15" by that 2½". The lag screws for the bases are not countersunk as they don't interfere with anything down there.

Base.jpg Base c.jpg Base b.jpg

These are finished in a semi-gloss because they are speaker stands not the center of attention in the room.

The uprights, did I mention that these stands are height adjustable by just changing the uprights?, which are about 14" x 3" x 3". I have one set of finished stands and one set to be built. Here are the parts for the stands, without the washers used on the lag screws. Lag screws are ¼ x 3" for the base and ¼ x 2½ for the top plate. The verticals are painted flat black or whatever I decide for this second set. I picked up the lag screws before vacation last week and will get to the final assembly soon enough.

Parts.jpg

Those with wood working skills could knock these out. Those that think they can make these probably can too. My brother has the tools but we never seemed to get together to get it done. Now I just need to do the final work on the verticals and bolt em together. Maybe find a box that will hold a set of stands for a possible move as I would rather keep them in good shape than have them rattling around in a moving van. and it is just 6 bolts and I have powered socket driving tools.

I believe the following information is for original, stock stands, not verified, found on the web, probably the Dahlquist group. Maybe someone with original stands can measure theirs and provide that information.
Dahlquist Stands Dimensions
The bases are 22" wide, 12" deep, and 1 1/2" thick (to nearest 1/16th")
The vertical supports are 10" wide, 2 1/4" thick, and 8" tall. (This must be for the monolith stand not the triple vertical stand)
The tops are 15" wide, 8" deep, and 3/4" thick, not including the raised edge. The edge is raised 1/2" from the top, on one side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom