Finally!! technics sl-1700

HIFIVINYL15

hey guyz i finally got me a table ( http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=52473&item=4707892771&rd=1#ebayphotohosting ) !!! i mean finally a decent one n e ways as the one ive had is a crapbox. It wasnt easy what with all my dads "dont waste ur money, tts r extinct" and stuff like that. The cool thing about this one is tho it was only 8 bux + shipping. The catch is it needs a needle and maybe a new cart, (i also believe it was stuck in the wrong category, so ppl couldnt c it :D ) i havnt actually recieved the item yet but ill keep u posted. in the meantime does anyone kno a good site to get manuals for these things?

Last edited:
Make sure that when it's shipped the turntable platter is removed and packed UNDERNEATH the main turtable assembly, wrapped in its own bubblewrap. Also be sure that the tonearm is securely fastened down with a twist-tie--in additon to and not just with the built-in latch. It also wouldn't hurt to have the seller tape down each side of the dust cover to the TT base with packing tape before bubblewrapping the base/dust cover. Note these are absolute bare minimums required for safe turntable shipment. If it's a good seller, he won't balk at them.

BTW...the 1700 is a great table. I prefer the quartz lock Technics models, but my first Technics was a 1600. And for $8 (!!!) you can't go wrong with it!

Last edited:
Good luck with your new TT. Did you notice that the seller is an employee of an eBay company? I wonder if that will work for you, or against you?

Anyway, enjoy! :banana:

Sweet table and a good deal. Folks looking for the model may have missed this one since the model number wasn't in the title. Bad for the seller, good for you -- Foe

Got it

hey guys i finally got it today, he had shipped it b4 i could send him n e shipping techniques... when it arrived, the whole tt arrived wrapped in bubble wrap, swimming in peanuts. he had tried 2 secure the arm down, but that came undone (packing tape) he tried the same thing on the platter, which he didnt remove, but that piece of tape came undone. i couldnt see in the pic, but the tonearm clasp was apparently broken ( n e one no where i could find another?) otherwise everything works gr8, the motor is perfectly silent, the strobe light deely turns on, and the controls work smoothly. now i was wondering if n e one knew the cart thats on this thing and if its n e good. cart says M44-7 with a little logo above it. could some1 also tell me what p-mount is vs other types of mounts, i rlly dont kno n e thin about that. and could someone please tell me where i could get a manual/schematic 4 this?

that shure is a DJ cart, so you'll want to get a new cart for it. since this is your first time out, i suggest you go to www.kabusa.com, or to Garage A Records, and tell 'em you want a moderately priced AT cartridge mounted on your headshell. you send em the headshell, they'll mount the cart for you. they send it back, you screw her in place and away you go. the only adjustment on the sl 1700, one of which i've owned since 1978, is the stylus overhang, so if the cart is mounted correctly by the seller, which it will be if you go to KAB or Garage A, you are set.

if you keep checking ebay regularly, you should be able to pick up a technics sl series parts table which could provide you with the tonearm rest, which are so often broken by dumbass sellers. make sure your table is level and reasonably isolated from the speakers and you'll like have fun 4 shure.

well, n e way, that's all 4 now, dood...

whats the difference

between dj carts and at carts, i mean, does the Dj cart like hav less quality than the at, i mean i wasnt rlly plannin on buyin a whole new cart and stuff

I checked your eBay record and noticed that you have also purchased the Shure M44 for it. That is a DJ cartridge and has a conical stylus, since only conical styli can be used for "scratching". They won't dameage the groove like an elliptical stylus would if it moved back and forth. It also requires a higher tracking weight, which is not good for vinyl. You should purchase a decent elliptical stylus and cartridege-Garage-a-Records has good deals and a helpful site. Don't use the M44 on your regular vinyl. I'm jealous about the 1700, but I'm in canada, so it wasn't available for shipping here. If I'm interested in a table, I email the seller in asvance and check about packing. I ensure that he will NOT pack it without checking my requirements. You can often find helful info on pavking a turntable here ot on thr Asylum, which i have saved and can send a seller. I hope the table works out well for you. I have a Technics SL Q2 from eBay, which was well-packed even without my instructions (I was green at the time) and it's great-it has quartz lock and a brushless motor. It came with a M97HE cart and stylus, which was the second best available and is still almost top of the line. It was relaced by the M97xe, but it is not an improvement on mine. You might check the M97xe from Shure for your table. Good luck and keep us posted.

HiFiVinyll15, I have the 1700 Service Manual. Give me a few days to scan it. I'll PM you and either email it to you or post it somewhere you can d/l it.

dont worry about scanning it as i hav found one just today on vinyl engine.com. as for the cart some has offered me a free grado silver cart that i am going to use on my tt and c what results i get, the reason i got that needle for the Dj cart was that the forum was down and it was a better price than i could find n e where else on the internet and i figured i might as well grab it, plus i suppose i could just sell the entire cart and needle combo on ebay later 4 more money than i payed 4 it :lmao:

i got the needle 2day (4 the shure cart) and hooked it up to the cart, and ran the sound thru my dads luxman preamp to a surround sound speaker system. i put on my rattiest record, and it sounded gr8 with very few crackles or pops. i then tried acdc highway to hell, which sounded gr8 as well. so then i tried pink floyd the wall and i couldnt blieve the clarity of everything, there were almost no pops or clicks at all. then i discovered that there was almost no sound going thru the left channel!! i guess that may hav been one reason that it sounded so clear. so i then narrowed the problem down to being in the tt or in the cart. im hoping its the cart but ill keep u posted.

its the tt...

the grado silver just arrived today and i hooked it up and adjusted the tracking force. but still there is only a tiny sound coming from the left channel :worried: . ive cleaned all the contacts that touch the cart-headshell lead wires and still same results. so i removed the bottom and found there was no access to the output cables (dumb move on my part but hey, im nu here). im a little afraid of removing the tonearm (and checking the wire connections after) cuz im not sure how i should go about it. if n e one could enlighten me thatd b gr8

its not pretty but its there

me and my dad opened up the entire tt and messed around with an electric current checker thing and found that the problem was with the white part at the end of the left wire that hooks into the stereo. so i clipped that and tried to follow my dads instructions but wound up losing most of the left wire that came with the tt. i then spliced the left channel from my old crappy tt onto what remained of the left channel on the technics, and bam, the left channel was there and sounded OK. i guess thats cuz of the crappy wire and the splice, but hey it beats nothin. thank u all 4 ur support for me getting my first tt hooked up and operational. i hope to upgrade 2 somethin that worx a little better when i hav the time and money lol. now i just need my own stereo... but thats a different story

hi guys,

i am new to this forum. i found it while looking for some people out there for some support.
i just received my sl-1700 and it was pretty badly demaged during shipping. tone arm clasp/clamp broken off,

http://www.geocities.com/zebupaci/broken-support.jpg

and the tone arm tracking force adjutment dial slid off and banged around creating havoc. also, the shaft of the same adjustment dial is cracked, like something fell on it during shipping; under the cover??

http://www.geocities.com/zebupaci/counter-weight-shaft-broken.jpg

so, it is in rough shape. i will attemp to fix things but i'd like to know if someone had a suggested way of taking the thing apart. like removing the platter or how to remove the tone arm etc.
thanks

to take it apart you need to remove all the screws on the bottom including the 2 feet that are towards the front (thru the oval holes in the panel). there will be a gasket beneath it, remove this gasket and you will see a bunch of gears. remove the metal piece over the drive gear (below the large gear in the center). then remove this gear and the platter should slide out from the top. the silver top part of the tt should also b able to be pulled off. there is a connection near the back that must be removed b4 the top will come off. the tonearm will also be complicated to get thru the top (make sure u hav removed the headshell first). i never actually removed the tonearm b/c its such a delicate piece of equipment. so b4 u do make sure that u troubleshoot all the other connections frist with a current checker. otherwise there is almost no reason to remove it. let me kno if i totally confused u or if u are able to follow my instructions. i hav only done this once so im still rlly just a newbie. be careful with the platter b/c its got a magnet built into it. does the motor work? let me kno whats working and what isnt so i can maybe sorta guide u on what to take off. im listnen to mine now, its definitely worth the work!!

Jeder, welcome and sorry 'bout the table.

We have heard waayyy too many horror stories about poor packing practices from ebay sellers that lead directly to ruined tables. Whoever sold you that table should be giving you a full refund (including shipping, in my opinion) because the damage is completely the fault of the person who "packed" it for shipment.

good luck.

sl-1700

the reason why i want to remove the arm assembly is because of the broken/cracked "support shaft". see the second link in my first posted message. look for a crack in the circled area. this shaft is fastened with a screw, i think, that is accessible only with the arm removed i may be a bit confusing my language but you can see this for yourself when looking straight down on the pivoting assembly.
thanks guys for the suggestions and advice.
i keep you posted on my progress...

packing

man, i feel for ya. had plenty of stuff damaged in shipment. even stuff i packed and packed in all original packing. granted, some people pack like sh$t, but i've packed double boxed with 8 total inches of big bubble wrap and had stuff damaged. someone a while back mentioned that the conveyer belts for the major carriers have routine drops of 4 feet. i wonder how many times that happens in shipment, 8 to 10? hope it works out for ya.

Back
Top Bottom