FINALLY(updated)!!...

As you can see, it’s a small room. I made the speaker adjustment. Sounds a little tighter but even in those 2 inches i feel i lose a bit of soundstage. Totem suggests 4-8 feet so i think I’ll keep em a little wider.
Don’t you know it with these spaces in the city. I made an adjustment a few weeks ago and am reaping the benefits of it.

Don’t you know it with these spaces in the city. I made an adjustment a few weeks ago and am reaping the benefits of it.
Just getting sound to not bounce all over these concrete cells is a win in my book. It's my living room so it's not like I'm about to throw up $500 in room treatments so I'll take the wins where I can get them. Too bad I can't say the same about the Nets and Knicks.

So, just 4 months ago I was happy with my system like I had never been before. But my C35 preamp developed a minor glitch, and I went back down the rabbit hole.

I have been chasing an amp for a few years that I once heard in a coffee shop, paired with a pair of Ohm Walsh 2 speakers and a streamer. It was the Unison Research SR-1. When I finally listened to it at my local dealer I was impressed. But, salespeople know we have an affliction and they prey on our weaknesses. So, before he let me leave, the salesman had me sit in front of the Unison Research Triode 25. For the sake of brevity I'll just say I was blown away. So I've been chasing that amp ever since.

That was 2 years ago. Today, a box arrived on my doorstep from Germany (It's made in Italy but I bought it used from a German doctor). Inside of it was a Triode 25. That amp is now on the shelf, in pole position, and it SINGS. Oh man, I'm in heaven. I don't want to get anyone's panties in a bunch but - to me - the MC2155+C35 combo can't hold a candle to this unit. Maybe the Mac sound is not for me - i do tend to prefer more detail and tight highs, so it makes sense. Regardless, to my ears, this is heaven. Pics in the next post.

Some photos:

Attachments

• IMG_1061.jpeg
    IMG_1061.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_1058.jpeg
    IMG_1058.jpeg
    56.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1057.jpeg
    IMG_1057.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1056.jpeg
    IMG_1056.jpeg
    62.9 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1060.jpeg
    IMG_1060.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1059.jpeg
    IMG_1059.jpeg
    70.6 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1062.jpeg
    IMG_1062.jpeg
    70.7 KB · Views: 56
decouple the speakers from hard surfaces, either by using speaker stands or some kind of damped isolation platform. IME a speaker stand decoupled from all large furniture works the best

I see your using the amazon isolation pads, making a wood platform with isolation between the stand and the surface, and the speaker between the stand would give you significant acoustic benefits. you can also optimize the tweeter to ear height situation.

nice system though, big fan of mytek

Great advice. Stands are out of the question for now since i have a curious toddler. Give me another year and I’ll implement every piece of audio wisdom there can be!

you can achieve the decoupling fairly simply and without a pair of stands. the most basic level of this would be a trick I pulled from an old onkyo speaker manual. Place 4 large coins under each corner of the speaker

ywYos3j.png

Back
Top Bottom