Firefox is being a pain

Discussion in 'General Off Topic Forums' started by beat_truck, May 14, 2018.

1. beat_truck

beat_truck Super Member

Any site that uses Adobe Flash for video or audio causes the tab that it's in to immediately crash.:mad:

I've reinstalled Flash, Firefox, and made sure there are no pending updates for anything. I installed Chromium browser (blech!) and it works without issue, so I'm pretty sure this is a Firefox related issue. I'm currently trying to get support from Mozilla.

This is why I don't really like installing things immediately when they just come out. Many times, there are undiscovered bugs. The version of this OS (Lubuntu 18.04) just came a few weeks ago, and this version of Firefox (60.0) came out a week or so ago.

I guess it never hurts to have two browsers installed. I haven't been real thrilled with Firefox since Quantum came out, but I don't want to switch to something else and give up some of my addons.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

Was streaming a baseball game awhile ago, with no problem. The next one is on in 10 minutes. We'll see.

3. beat_truck

beat_truck Super Member

Whoever you stream from probably doesn't even use Flash. From what I gather, it's an old setup and not too many sites still use it.

4. teal'c

teal'c It's all moo

No flash problems here, audio or video. If you're running Linux, I would try deleting the .mozilla folder.

5. usedto

usedto Lunatic Member

Yes, it uses flash. It just popped up and asked if I wanted to update. I said no, and am watching the game right now.

6. gadget73

gadget73 junk junkie Subscriber

I truly dislike Flash. Its such a buggy piece of software. The fact that it disables itself about every other week because it needs a security update is a clue that its perhaps not awesome.

Archguy and beat_truck like this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. KingBubba

KingBubba "Too Much Stuff"

Many game sites still use flash games. Electronic Arts site Pogo requires flash for their games. You need to use the ESR version of Firefox. My wife is a Pogo nut and that is what she has to use to be able to play games.

8. beat_truck

beat_truck Super Member

Well, for whatever reason, the Flash plugin that Firefox shipped with stopped working. I had to download a new plugin from Adobe, find the appropriate folder to put it in, grant myself permission to make changes to it,:rolleyes: and then move the new plugin there. Not really what I wanted to waste a bunch of time doing.:no:

I don't know whether the problem was in Firefox, Lubuntu, or a combination of the two. Lubuntu definitely has a few minor issues, though. But, it seems worth using because it's extremely light on resources. It made this old single core laptop that would otherwise be unusable, or at least miserably slow, into a fairly decent to use machine. If not for that, I'd dump it in a second for Linux Mint, which is much nicer and has been nearly trouble free on everything I've installed it on.

One pleasant surprise, the folks on the Mozilla support forum are quick to respond and helpful. At least there are other places out there that are almost as good as AK.:D