FIREPOWER--Judas Priest

Discussion in 'Music Reviews' started by NeedForSpeed, Mar 9, 2018.

1. NeedForSpeed

NeedForSpeed Hands Off The Stereo Subscriber

Artist--Judas Priest
    Year--2018
    Label--EPIC
    Genre--Metal
    Title--FIREPOWER

This, The 18th studio record of their career, Turns out to be one of their best, As was forecasted by Glen Tipton in the early stages of recording. And he was certainly correct! Filled with riffs, Excellent writing, And the tastiest soloing, This side of Edward, It is a juggernaut from the opening title track. A quick breakdown

Firepower--Opens with galloping drums and cleaver soloing trades by Tipton/Faulkner.

Lightning Strikes--A Halford performance right up there with his best, Be it "Painkiller/Vengeance etc. That voice is still there. Again, Nice chugging guitars and a stylish Faulkner solo. A bit short, But very well done

Evil Never Dies--Revolves around the always present guitars bridging into the chorus adding a menacing melody half way through. A favorite, And will be excellent live.

Never The Heroes--Slows things down, An anthem to fighting men at war. A very Van Halen kind of vibe IMO. Excellent steady Halford performance.

Necromancer--Speeds things up again, The familiar Priest formula and the best track on the album IMO. Again, Ritchie Faulkner adding his youthful energy with some very intricate fretwork.

Children Of The Sun--Has a Hendrix style start, And catchiest melody on the album

Guardians--A short but brilliant instrumental, And leads straight into
    Rising From The Ruins--I'll say the centerpiece of the album, And so far, That's saying something. A lot of space around the lyrics to add drama, What sounds like double kick drumming and Glen doing what he does. It reminds me of one of my favorite Priest tracks, "Rock Hard, Ride Free", Off "Defenders Of The Faith" My fav Priest record, Until now.

Flame Thrower-- Just a classic Priest formula heavy metal track. A rhythm guitar based deal, Then a sweltering Faulkner solo, Featuring Halfords patented upper register vocals.

Specter--Slowing down to a mid tempo vibe. A track they released as a 20 second teaser, And it was driving me crazy to hear it complete. And, Man, It was worth it. Would be a great fit on the excellent "Turbo"

Traitors Gate--Is that a cool title or not!! The heaviest track on the album, An up tempo vibe, With the nicest chorus and melody this side of "You Got Another Thing Coming"

Lone Wolf--Kicks off with a Claptonish blues vibe, Then races to the Priest tried and true dual guitars and a stomping solo from Faulkner then Tipton. Ian Hill on bass also shining through

Sea Of Red--The album closer, A ballad that has kind of a marching vibe to it, A beautiful opening acoustic guitar. Wish this was maybe track 6 instead. Just for a pace change.

Didn't really intend to go this far, But hey. Carried away. Recording of the album was done together in one room, Long time Priest producer Tom Allom who produced all the classics pre Ram It Down, Wanted to get that feel. Bringing in metal producer genius Andy Sneap..Accept..Magadeath..Testament, Brought a modern feel, And along with Ritchie Faulkner's first real inclusion in the songwriting, Injected real energy into the record. The sound, Production, Musicianship, Mastering, All are excellent. It was a long wait, But man, This band delivered a masterpiece

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Audioraven likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Huck

Huck Active Member

Very good musicianship as usual and according to the Dynamic Range Database,the vinyl has a 13 rating and the c.d. has a 6.
    Did not figure there would be that much of a difference,but I am glad the data-base is around,as I refer to it frequently and I generally agree on their numbers and I usually go there before I buy a particular c.d. Huck

NeedForSpeed likes this.
  3. NeedForSpeed

NeedForSpeed Hands Off The Stereo Subscriber

Thanks for posting those numbers. I own both, CD does sound excellent.

4. Huck

Huck Active Member

Thanks..Huck

NeedForSpeed likes this.