Firmware writer utility for Denon AVR-2113CI

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by nabeelsayegh, Mar 4, 2017.

1. nabeelsayegh

nabeelsayegh AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hello...

I got a unit in that is stuck in a firmware update loop. The Customer attempted to update the receivers firmware online (using the RJ45 interface.) It keeps complaining about connection failure and just retries. It would seem this is a common problem, but a reset is not breaking the loop. The service manual talks about doing a DFW update using the RS-232 interface. There apparently is an EXE you can get that flashes the firmware directly....a D&M Firmware writer, but I cant seems to locate a copy. Any one have one that they are willing to share?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Glad to see Denon's support site comprehensive and having the firmware files. Best wishes.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
  3. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

The Internet is a wonderful thing: https://usa.denon.com/us/downloads/productupdates

Not sure what's there as I don't have a serial number to try.

4. nabeelsayegh

Thanks whoaru99, but I had been there already and they only supply the firmware you can put on a USB stick. Problem is, the internet based update is the one stuck in a loop and it wont let you break out of it (even if you have the USB drive inserted.) I sent a note over to Denon....will see if they come back with any direction (other than to take it to a service center.)

5. dimanag

dimanag Active Member

Hello!
    Use the USB method! Format the stick FAT32 and put the firmware in it! (one director 000100580100)
    Unplug the power cord from the avr, put the stick! While pressing the "STATUS" button and the "TUNER PRESET CH –" button at the same time, plug in the powercord! The update begin!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    KentTeffeteller likes this.
  6. nabeelsayegh

unfortunately, that does not work. As I mentioned, it is already stuck in a reboot loop. I have tried this many times and it does not invoke an update from USB. I am not sure why. I am curious, what do you mean by this: "(one director 000100580100)"

7. nabeelsayegh

(Sorry....I meant to say, stuck in an update loop.)

8. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

I see.

When you mentioned the RJ45 connector it suggested to me only the networked update method had been tried.

9. dimanag

dimanag Active Member

the 000100580100 is the name of fw and by one director i meant to copy exact all the contents and subdirectors ! (many people do not copy the exact content of de zip file!
    so you unplug the power cord and then plug again (with the 2 buttons pressed) and nothing? weard!
    pm your mail and i will give you the program and the fw!

nabeelsayegh likes this.
  10. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Hopefully that gets you running. Seems this is like upgrading BIOS on a computer. Hope you get it running again and all is well. Best wishes.

11. cdw2000

cdw2000 New Member

Hi dimanag,

I recently purchased a Denon AVR-2313ci off ebay, which was being sold as "for repair or parts", due to it having some flaky operation. I'm trying to repair it. I have the Technical Manual and got into the firmware version display. For the bootloader version it was blank. I tried to update the firmware from a USB drive and part way through it had an error and went into a retry loop. I was able to get it out of the loop, but I am wondering if the bootloader is corrupt. I have not yet tried to update over the network, but am not hopeful it will work. I was wondering if you could get me a copy of the D&M Firmware Writer software too. I'm thinking that would allow me to get past the boot loader if it is indeed the problem.

12. nabeelsayegh

not a problem, send me a personal message with your email and I will forward you the file that I got.

13. dimanag

dimanag Active Member

Hello
    Sorry for the delay!
    No internet acces for few days!!

@nabeelsayegh
    How did you managed the issue? Did you have any succes?

@cdw2000
    You get a PM!

14. cdw2000

cdw2000 New Member

Update on my AVR-2313ci:

I successfully reflashed the firmware with the files provided by dimanag using an RS232C cable and could get the version status to display the Ethernet FBL, SBL and IMG versions along with the MAC address - sometimes. Then I attempted to update the firmware to the latest version and it failed and went into the "Update Retry" loop. Could not reconnect to it over the network. Attempted to reflash again with RS232C, but that wouldn't work either now.

I decided to try the "nuclear option". Based on the premise that there was a bad solder joint under the DM860A part, I used a heat gun on the DM860A part (U2602) to reflow its solder connections. This was done carefully after experimenting with desoldering some devices on an old motherboard to get an idea of the precise time required for the solder to melt. For good measure I also took the heat gun to the NAND FLASH memory part (U2603) that I expect is used to store the firmware for the DM860A.

I again reflashed the firmware via RS232C and was successful. Then tried updating over the network and it failed again. After performing a network reset I was able to flash the firmware once again. Then, rather than use the network download again, I used the USB method to update to the latest firmware. This was successful and the network and USB have been working consistently ever since! :beerchug:

I did several stress tests last evening with power on cycles and testing all the HDMI inputs and outputs and the unit performed perfectly. I now have a working AVR-2313ci for a $25 purchase price (plus shipping) off ebay and an investment of some time!

Now its time to integrate it into my home theater setup!

A shout out to dimanag for providing the firmware loader and other files along with some advice. :rockon:

As a final thought: I wonder how many of these HDMI board failures may be due to bad solder joints?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    drumbum likes this.
  15. dimanag

dimanag Active Member

Well done! Enjoy your Denon avr!

16. dt2017

dt2017 New Member

Hi dimanag,

I am troubleshooting Pioneer VSX-922-K which having issues no USB and Network connection.

I intent to reflash the firmware for this DM860A, I believe it is corrupted, do you having firmware for this as well?

I would like to try out D&M Firmware Writer software as well if you could provide me a copy.

On board Console messages show DM860A chip boot into infinite loop as bellow:-
    NEW_DEVICE_NAME: VSX-922[ ok ]
    module: AspFileinFileoutHandler…

outside else NEW_DEVICE_NAME: VSX-922
    [ ok ]
    module: SpiNtpModule… [ ok ]
    module: CardeaSecurityLevelModule… [ ok ]
    module: SpiAppCtrlModule… [ ok ]
    module: SpiPresetsModule… [ ok ]
    module: USBPlayDirectModule… [ ok ]
    module: FSChangeTimeOutModule… [ ok ]
    module: StreamStatusModule… [ ok ]
    module: LltdResponder… [ ok ]
    module: DeviceDiscoveryModule… [ ok ]
    module: ContentBrowserShellCmd… Initializing ContentBrowserShellCmdpage addr=0x80000, fixpage result=6
    page addr=0x80000, fixpage result=6
    ... infinite loop with fixpage messages never stop.

Details I also posted at following link:-
    https://dntruong.wordpress.com/2016/02/18/troubleshooting-a-pioneer-vsx-70-networking/comment-page-1

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017

17. dimanag

dimanag Active Member

Hello DT!!
    Sadly i don't have anything for Pioneer!
    Give me your email and i will send you a writer!!
    Dimitrios!

18. dt2017

dt2017 New Member

Still trying to figure out how to PM you my email addr

19. dt2017

dt2017 New Member

Hi dimanag,

Thanks for the FW writer, Denon writer does not recognize Pioneer firmware and can't proceed any further [load firmware give error and not valid firmware error].
    Look like hit dead lock.

20. Traxman

Traxman New Member

I was wondering if you could get me a copy of the D&M Firmware Writer
    I try to fix a marantz sr 5007 witch is stuck as i try internet and usb ways with no effect.
    Thanks in advance.