Firmware writer utility for Denon AVR-2113CI

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by nabeelsayegh, Mar 4, 2017.

1. PBinda

PBinda New Member

[​IMG] Hi none answer in this thread. Many people asking about d&m firmware writer also denon support dont wana help. I've try program my r5F56108 mcu with Renesas write utility via rs232 and binaries from denon site but without success (mcu chip correctly detected). I looked into main.bin and I almost sure there is an additional header, also payload data is encrypted, possible aes ecb so there is no chance to write them directly. If anyone could provide raw binary for r5f56108(for any denon device AVR-XYYYY series or similar) mcu it might help many people. R5F56108 chip has 3 flash area: User Bootloder 32KB, Code area 2MB, user data 32KB I am not sure but there is an option to program only bootloader part.

Anyone know is it possible to program blank r5F56108 unit from DM860 ?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017

Please register to disable this ad.

2. PBinda

PBinda New Member

No one answered for my question so I do it myself. It is not possible to program blank r5f56108 from DM860 even if power control E-power signal is hardwired because r5f56108 unit not understand spi comunication from DM.
    Please share d&m firmware writer or raw binaries (preprocesed files generated by d&m firmware tool users/Appdata/Temp/Denon.../firmdata00.bin etc) for any device with r5f56108 chip, this last option to bring my device allive.

3. bowenisdum

bowenisdum New Member

Hey guys, i had this exact same problem with my AVR-2113ci, but I figured out how to stop the loop, signed up just incase this will help someone out.

My was stuck in the update loop, where the power button won't work, and i had to unplug the power cord, to restart it, once it restarts, it keeps on saying "update retry >>>>", and eventually receiver reboots, and it does the same thing, after a few loops, it shows "connectionfail25" on the front LED display.

Fix:
    1. Unplug power cord to shut the receiver off.
    2. hold down the zone2 and dimmer button on the front panel, which are next to each other, and plugin the power cord at the same time, do not release the button yet
    3. the front led should start flashing with a row of blocky characters
    4. release the two buttons

Receiver should now boot up like normal, and it will stop retrying to update.

Again this worked for me and may not work for everyone, hopefully it helps some one out there :)

redk9258 likes this.
  4. Thomas S

Thomas S New Member

Hi Everyvone,

i have a network bricked AVR-X1000 E2. RS232C debug on the DM860A says:
    Starting Bootloader Level 1
    Forced start of Bootloader Level 2
    Starting Bootloader Level 2

FLB running @ 24000000Hz; Flash Drivers: [NAND]
    Manufacturer : Hynix
    Device : NAND 128MB 3,3V 8-bit
    Reserved : 0x00
    Page Size : 2048 Bytes 1
    Block Size : 128 Kilobytes
    Spare Bytes : 64 Bytes

FLB running @ 24000000Hz; Flash Drivers: [NAND]
    Manufacturer : Hynix
    Device : NAND 128MB 3,3V 8-bit
    Reserved : 0x00
    Page Size : 2048 Bytes 1
    Block Size : 128 Kilobytes
    Spare Bytes : 64 Bytes
    and then they replay it from the beginning.

How it is possible to flash a new SBL and Image to the Network flash?

Thanks

Thomas

5. dt2017

dt2017 New Member

Hi Thomas,

You need to get Bootloader Level 1 menu first [as bellow] then follow post item #30 in this threat.
    ==>In my case, my flash corrupted and always end up with bootloader menu. your case different, need to put unit in update mode or some key-combination during initial boot to break the booting loop. not sure what key can break this, Stop-A?

Starting Bootloader Level 1

Bootloader Level 1 Menu (Mar 11 2009, 16:07:41):
    ================================================

1) Download Bootloader Level 2
    2) Show Meta Info
    3) Reset
    4) Start Bootloader Level 2
    5) Start Application
    6) Erase Flash

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  6. Thomas S

Thomas S New Member

Hi dt2017,

this was a good hint. "Strg" and "A" stop the loop.
    Now i get the Bootloader Level 1 Menu.
    First i have choose the option 6 and confirm with "y". After approximately 60 blocks the erasing stops and i get the boot loop again.
    Next i have choose option 1. The system confirm, that are able to receive a file via xmodem. If i start sending, i get after 15(bytes?) the message, that it failes. I have only the sbl.bcd file from the upgrade package from the download side. Im not sure, if the .bcd are the same to .bin.?
    Did you have an idea, what is going wrong?

Thank you

Thomas

7. PBinda

PBinda New Member

Hi Thomas,

For sure bcd file downloaded from denon websiste is not correct. Please PM your email I have SBL for AVRX1000E2 version.

8. Thomas S

Thomas S New Member

Hi,

i have try to flash the bin - files.
    With the bcd files the flash stops after the 15 characters. With the bin file they stop short after the first 15 characters, and then they load the sbl. But after 74k to 105k of 1613k they stop again and will never continue.

It is possible that the flash or ram is corrupt? Or another µPC reset the network chip?

Any idea?

Thanks

Thomas

9. PBinda

PBinda New Member

For me flash is fine. Possible RAM error or connections between RAM and DM860. Do you have hot air station, try heat up DM860, also MCU can rest DM860 disconnect r8306,r8307,r8308 from main chip.

10. Thomas S

Thomas S New Member

I have no hot air station. I have desolderd the resistors. The same resut :(.

11. PBinda

PBinda New Member

You can also try power up board from external 5V/2A power supply disconnect all connectors use only cn751 socket.

12. dt2017

dt2017 New Member

Hi Thomas,

In my case, I managed to erase without error, For loading SBL, I did it 2-3 times before finished successfully.
    I believe my unit's flash also having some issues as now if power off and on again while still warm, DM860 would not boot successfully and hang there halfway randomly. Spray with freezer nearby then boot continue.
    If let cold down then power on it always boot correctly.

It seems this DM860 accessing Flash issues very common, even Pioneer using DM860 also seem having accessing Flash issues [infinite loop reading a particular block].
    Could this due to whole patch of low cost flash chip defective? My Flash is "Hynix H27U1G8F2BTR BC 222AA"

I suspect Flash is giving issues in this scenario.

awillia6 likes this.
  13. PBinda

PBinda New Member

Broken connections, typical issue with BGA and lead free soldering technology. Key word is reballing.
    Nand flash is only for booting, all data form nand chip are copied into ram so cold device can boot without errors warm hang at startup.

awillia6 likes this.
  14. Thomas S

Thomas S New Member

I thinking, that the idea with the external 5V is a good way. i will check this in the next days.

15. jont

jont New Member

Thanks to forum members for helping me get my AVR-2113ci out of a stuck update retry loop. Now it seems the Ethernet and USB ports are inactive as a connected Ethernet switch show no LEDs lit up, and a USB flash drive has no activity LED. I can make an RS232 connection. Also, in the Setup menu, the firmware revision shows as a blank. I hope this is a firmware problem and I have downloaded the firmware, but need the D&M Firmware Writer or other software that will work on the RS232 port. I appreciate the help. Thank you.

16. Thomas S

Thomas S New Member

I have check to flash the DM860 with external power. The same problem. After aprox. 60 seconds reset.
    I thiniking, that the BGA under the chip is broken. Now i will buy a BGA Rework station. If it is success, i give will here a feedback.
    Many thank to PBinda and dt2017 for a tips.

Thomas

awillia6 likes this.

17. awillia6

awillia6 Well-Known Member

Please remember to post back. I'm weighing the same decision with three different units, including a $7,500 MSRP AVP-A1HDCI.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  18. dt2017

dt2017 New Member

hi jont
    your case likely same as mine in post#30
    you need to connect DM860 IC serial directly, not via serial behind the chassis. from there you should be able to see what actually went wrong

19. jont

jont New Member

Thank you, but I suspect the HDMI board on the AVR 2113ci is different. The connector solder pad patterns are numbered differently (there is no CN390) and I don't have a service manual to help in identifying the component locations.

20. jont

jont New Member

Found a service manual and located the internal debug connector (N2601) so I think the only missing piece is the DFW software to do the programming.