Firmware writer utility for Denon AVR-2113CI

Discussion in 'Solid State' started by nabeelsayegh, Mar 4, 2017.

1. dt2017

dt2017 New Member

Hi Jont,

If you have SBL or FW for DM860, no need DFW for firmware programming. you need Xmodem to load firmware via this debug connector instead. DFW would not work without working DM860. Follow post item number 30 should work for you

2. jont

jont New Member

Ok, wired up a RS232-TTL level shifter to DM860 debug port. No response. See no signaling from the DM860 with an oscilloscope. I think either the DM860 local firmware is scrambled, or there's a faulty solder connection in the DM860's circuit. If it's the firmware, can the DWF program through the external RS232 port (which goes to the main cpu chip) be used to reprogram the DM860 eeprom? If it's hardware, then I get to try to reflow the solder connections under the BGA chip. Oh boy!

3. dt2017

dt2017 New Member

Hi Jont,

I my case DFW program not possible until DM860 up and running. DFW will fail halfway updating.

4. jont

jont New Member

I bought some low viscosity, no-clean flux and tried the heat-gun reflow of the DM860 chip. Not sure if that was the problem after all. Power is good to that chip, but still no Ethernet port activity. I think my last shot is to try the DFW based firmware update through the RS232 rear port. I have searched and searched and can't find the DFW program anywhere on the internet. Would anyone happen to have it? Many thanks.

5. awillia6

awillia6 Well-Known Member

Would that be the RS232 interface program that runs on a PC and talks to an AVR-2809? As I DIMLY recall, I used it years ago to update the firmware on the unit (as well as to save backup files of settings after running Audyssey). If that's what you're looking for, I think I may have the zip file kicking around on a file server somewhere. Let me know.

6. jont

jont New Member

The program name starts "DFW".... I have the firmware update files, but not the program that loads them. Thanks.

7. Thomas S

Thomas S New Member

For the programming of the DM860 you don't need DFW. You can use ExtraPutty. If you start this, you choose "Serial", in the field "Serial Line" you write the port (for example "COM2") and in the field "Speed" you write "115200". Optional you can save it and then you must click on "Open". If you switch the power on, you should see the boot message. If it necessary, you can interrupt it by pressing Ctrl and "A". In the menu you find the option "Files Transfer". I hope that you are successfuly.

8. jont

jont New Member

I may be confused. There are two serial connections into the main board. One is the RS232 connector on the back and the other is a TTL logic level set of solder pads near the DM860 chip. The RS232 connection goes to the main cpu rather than the DM860. The main cpu and the :DM860 each have their own set of RAM and Flash memory. I'm trying to program through the RS232 port. Will ExtraPutty work through that or do I need the DFW program? Thanks.

9. dt2017

dt2017 New Member

What Thomas means is solder pads near the DM860

10. jont

jont New Member

There is no response from the DM860 serial port (the solder pads) even after a couple tries of reflowing the part. I hope its firmware is just corrupt. I think the only option I have left is to try to program firmware through the RS232 connector on the back. Do I need the DVF software (tjat I don't have) to do this?

11. dt2017

dt2017 New Member

Hi Jont,

It should give you some messages even flash corrupted. Did you connect serial port correctly? TX-->RX and RX-->TX between RS232 and you Serial port