First McIntosh Purchase, Don’t Laugh Because It’s Old

We just became grandparents for the first time 4 weeks ago. Now she is more interested in photography than ever which she could of cared less about. I was showing he some of the options this digital is capable of and she was shocked to say the least. She needs a hobby something terrible, so more power to her.

Thanks Skippy ps, I deleted my posting of my email address after receiving a warning from a concerned member. Would you please delete this post for security reasons, Thank You-Dawoofer

I saw MR-55 in your post so that's the ones that I sent. I'll see if I can get the A files. It looks like Victor deleted your em address.

Murray

Way to go, guys

While not a Mac owner (yet:D), I am enjoying watching the support and will follow this thread. You guys are great for helping out DaWoofer this way.

While not a Mac owner (yet:D), I am enjoying watching the support and will follow this thread. You guys are great for helping out DaWoofer this way.

This is kind of the joy across the ak board. I am a regular over at the TT forum, and weather a new member is inquiring about a $2k VPI, or a $25 beater table, the support and congenitality is the same. Most of the knowledge I have of turntables and vintage tube equipment came from other ak members. I believe knowledge not shared is knowledge wasted. We all love of good audio..especially when it's something cool and funky like this MR55a.:banana:

James R.

The MR-55 is a classic. Just bought a mint and recently serviced MR-65B with original walnut cabinet. It's a beauty with those pretty green lights against the two tone faceplate and walnut cabinet.

A true collector's piece, and the first stereo McIntosh tuner ever made.

However, they do run hot, and as such I will limit my use of it to the winter time; as I do with my tube monoblock amplifiers -- it's simply far too warm here in the North Eastern part of the U.S.A. to use tube gear during the warmer months of the year.

However during the winter, I like to leave the windows open allowing the cold winds to blow through my den, as my tube gear warms up the room.

Jimmy

Hi DAwoofer congrads on your purches.Wow I m realy sorry to Hear that dave is closing Iv been buying equiptment from him sence the 70's when he was at the MALL. I hope to se him open something else.I think it was the last indy shop in the area what a shame

I just recently purchased TWO pieces of McIntosh, a MA6100 and an MC2505, within five days of one another. The 6100, my first piece, I bought on thursday night. I wanted more. So the next tuesday, we went and bought the 2505.

Needless to say, I think we are in the same boat. By the way, today I bought a pair of Magnepan SMGA's just to put a little icing on the cake.

NICE!

Erin:wave:

Wow Stereocuuple, you know the song and the rhythm,sing it, it used to go like this, "we're in the money." Maybe it's now, "I'm out of money." However, great news for you. I will have to hit the jackpot (I'm to broke to ever play) or run across one from somebody's grandmas yardsale. I guess I better start looking for granny in the yard. I wish I could say that I've had just more than a couple minutes seat time in front of one of their amps with great speakers and a turntable at my disposal to really be able to relax and take it in. Have fun!

Here are some naked pics of the MR 55A. I've not even cleaned it yet so be kind.

Attachments

• P8240028.JPG
    P8240028.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 91
  • P8240027.JPG
    P8240027.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 81
  • P8240026.JPG
    P8240026.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 79
  • P8240025.JPG
    P8240025.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 76
I missed a couple important ones.

Attachments

• P8240021.jpg
    P8240021.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 66
  • P8240022.JPG
    P8240022.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 57
  • P8240023.JPG
    P8240023.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 58
So, Grandma finally got home with the camera I see. Pics look good. It's cleaner than I had imagined it would be. Still got a ways to go, though. You'll have her gleeming in no time, I'm sure.

Hi DaWoofer
Congratulations it sounds like a great find, I also have an old valve Mc tuner and would never part with it. I just wish there were more of these stores near where I live! I just thought you might be interested in this link, where you can download the user and service manuals:

http://www.berners.ch/McIntosh/en/Frame_Matrix.htm

Enjoy your new find!

Inamelotone

Well that sucks, I got an email after contacting Mike from the link of Berners site and he works for VintageAudioManuals and wanted payment. That don't seem right somehow. Since they claim the links there are free to the puplic but Mike sneaks in there somehow to try and sell them. Here is some of what I got even though I never contacted them.

Hi and thank you for contacting VintageAudioManuals,

We can provide a high resolution scanned, printed and bound reproduction of the following:

McIntosh MR-55 Instruction Manual - Document No. 043-409 (fold-out schematics, alignment/adjustment charts as well as installation & operations instructions)

for $12.00 total, delivered to your door in the U.S. or Canada. International, please request new total. Manual(s) ships within 24 to 72 hours after payment receipt and is shipped via USPS First Class Mail (make sure to include your address with payment).

Back
Top Bottom