First McIntosh Purchase, Don’t Laugh Because It’s Old

Here are some naked pics of the MR 55A. I've not even cleaned it yet so be kind.

Yes and I am one of those crying with envy!!!:tears: Congratulations and please post pictures of the finished product.
You have a real winner there !!!
James

Millet's site is for the 55, and by looking at photos of the two models there are significant differences in the units. I haven't studied the photos very closely but by glancing at them for a moment or two, the shield that covers the variable capacitor has a tube protruding from one end on the 55 while the A does not. Perhaps that is the major difference. I will go back and look closer at the 55.

Can someone tell me what the MPX jack is for on the back of this tuner? From my understanding this is a mono unit that isn't designed for stereo use with an outboard adapter. So what else could this jack be for. Thanks for your patience with my lack of knowledge concerning these matters.

I'm going to start a new thread so it will be easier for folks in the future to locate info that pertains to this unit in the archives. In the new thread I've got naked photos of the undercarriage and man is this thing clean. Looks like it rolled off the line yesterday. The thread will be called MR-55A, or very similar if you want to peak at it.

I am slipping in here to see if anyone is awake. I have a C20 early style preamp and I am looking for a cabinet. I was told by another AK'r that the MR-55 wood cabinet would fit the C20 preamp. After looking at Da Woofer's photos in this thread, it looks like it might. The faceplates of the old style C20 look very similar to the MR-55 tuner faceplate. Same brass and background color.

Does anyone following this thread know where I can get a wood cabinet for either the C20 old style (plastic face) or the MR-55? The dimensions of my brass edging on my faceplate is 14 3/4" wide by 4 3/4" tall, so the cut out on the cabinet would be smaller by say 3/8" to 1/2" (guessing).

I feel like a detective.

I am slipping in here to see if anyone is awake. I have a C20 early style preamp and I am looking for a cabinet. I was told by another AK'r that the MR-55 wood cabinet would fit the C20 preamp. After looking at Da Woofer's photos in this thread, it looks like it might. The faceplates of the old style C20 look very similar to the MR-55 tuner faceplate. Same brass and background color.

Does anyone following this thread know where I can get a wood cabinet for either the C20 old style (plastic face) or the MR-55? The dimensions of my brass edging on my faceplate is 14 3/4" wide by 4 3/4" tall, so the cut out on the cabinet would be smaller by say 3/8" to 1/2" (guessing).

I feel like a detective.

According to McIntoshcabinets.com, C20 (later wide faceplate) uses the L66 cabinet. Might be worth checking with them to ascertain which version of the C20 you have.

http://mcintoshcabinets.com/pages/mcintosh.htm

Thanks 62caddy. I have confirmed with Terry DeWitt and Tom Manley at McIntosh Audio.com that what I have is the earliest model C20 preamp. It has a plastic faceplate where the later versions have glass faceplates. It also has brass trim all around the faceplate as well as across the middle. "McIntosh C20" is printed in the top right hand corner of the faceplate instead of across the middle like on the later two versions. And, most importantly, the faceplate dimensions are 14 3/4" x 4 3/4" end to end and top to bottom. The later two versions of the C20 have glass faceplates, the name across the middle.
I was also told there are relatively few electrical differences in the three versions, it is primarily the faceplate that is different. Of course that makes a difference when shopping for a cabinet. I need a L10 cabinet which fits the earliest C20 and also the MR-55 tuner.
I am about to send this preamp to Terry DeWitt for a full upgrade/restoration. Hopefully I will find a cabinet before it comes back to me.
Thanks again.Photos of C20 preamp with faceplate dimensions for cabinet0007.jpg

Tom Manley does list an L10 on his site for $210 in mint condition.

At that price in that condition, I'd snap at it.

I spoke with Tom this morning. He pulled two cabinets he thought might work. He didn't mention either as being a L10 though. I am sending my C20 to Terry tomorrow, and Tom said he would try fitting the preamp to the cabinets and let me know how it looks.
Tom has been a big help over the past couple of weeks. The guy is a walking encyclopedia, or should I now say a walking search engine, on McIntosh gear. He and Terry both are.
Thanks again 62caddy. Nice ride!

I spoke with Tom this morning. He pulled two cabinets he thought might work. He didn't mention either as being a L10 though. I am sending my C20 to Terry tomorrow, and Tom said he would try fitting the preamp to the cabinets and let me know how it looks.

Sounds like you've got everything under control. :thumbsup:

By all means, post it in the new cabinet when it's back from Terry.

Back
Top Bottom