First peak into new 2325

Masonavenut

I like old stuff
Subscriber
As I told you in the rabbit hole post I got a new 2325 that arrived last night. Got it for what I feel like is a good price but it has an issue (at least). The Dolby pot is snapped off and the knob is missing. I have purchased replacements for both of those and will have my tech (who is becoming a friend) do whatever else is needed.
From what I can tell initially to my untrained eye, this is an unmolested 2325. I’m taking lots of pics so you experts can tell me what you think.
Please feel free to give your thoughts and thank you for taking the time.
Oops looks like I can’t post anymore pics in this post.
I’ll do some more in another post if y’all are interested.
D95079_E5-1279-4_C43-_AF82-95_CAA8_A945_C2.jpg

E93569_DA-068_C-4244-_AD85-2_C3_D508273_B8.jpg

9_A38_BDB2-6_FC0-43_C7-_BB1_A-50_B7831_BEFC3.jpg

283957_AB-649_C-4400-_B578-75_C0_C1100_B89.jpg

83_C528_D2-8840-49_EC-9863-_E8_C7_CAF7_F61_F.jpg

3235_E34_C-_C15_B-4_A00-81_EE-6_ECEBBFC121_B.jpg

B93745_F0-_D13_E-4_D87-_B176-_FA3145_B65138.jpg

B484_C233-7_FE3-4997-_A597-4_D458_B782_EE7.jpg

To add to the above post, I would like to clean the unit up before I take it to Tom (my tech).
Is there a thread or a publication that would give me proper procedure without screwing this deal up like a ham fisted moron (that I happily accept I am, compared to most of you) .

Here is the bottom side. I had to see so you should too.
Am I right? Is this thing unmolested?

0_E01167_E-363_B-4_ACD-82_BE-_C1_BEB22161_E8.jpg

8563_B351-_F13_F-4_A5_C-_A5_C7-_CEBB96_DD786_F.jpg

7542_C428-80_CF-4_C2_A-_BEEA-_C5_A8401_C051_C.jpg

3_DA11298-2342-42_AE-_AE08-64_E8504_BE218.jpg

1_D2_ADCC0-12_E2-4470-_A47_A-_A2_DF2_FFE44_B6.jpg

D4_A32_E70-_E7_B2-4_D14-8_B3_E-03_F9_CE477_E21.jpg

If you want to just get the dust and dirt out, canned air and a soft paint brush will get most of it. The deep cleaning of the oily residues are generally done board by board as you restore since it requires solvents. But these things are pretty tough when it comes to washing. I took the challenge on a filthy 2245 and hosed it down in the driveway while brushing with Windex and a paint brush. Also Deoxited controls at the same time. Several days of drying in a very hot garage and 98% of the scratchy noise was gone before even replacing any components. It was risky, but it worked. However, I don’t recommend it for anything other than the super filthy units. Good luck with the 2325. It is a marvelous sounding beast.

Looks like all original parts and the two main filter caps have been leaking. You're gonna love that receiver when it's restored.

Like wurlyman mentioned the main filter caps have vented and leaked. The power supply caps have been hot too many times probably as their covers have shrunk. Telltale sign of lots of use.

All pretty easy stuff to sort out first. You can be the first to molest it. :naughty:

Great, thanks for your observations.
I’m sure my tech will find all that and more but I’m trying to learn so I go back and try to see what you all see.
Not to mention I look more intelligent when I go to my tech.:rolleyes:
The main filter caps were easy to see but the other I’ll have to research.
Now about that “Fairlane” handle you have. I have a ‘67 in process right now.

Hi gents and ladies
Well I got my 2325 back from Tom Ishimoto. Love that guy.
It was quite a restoration and took a while to get all the parts to rebuild. Below you can see some of the replaced parts. I only include them to show you how roached the light bulb housing was. I ended up buying one of the 3D printed housings on eBay. It worked great.
For me the most interesting part of the job was that the Dolby switch knob shaft was broken off. Had I known what a problem it would be to replace, I prolly wouldn’t have bought this unit. But that’s water under the bridge and actually gave me (and Tom) real good understanding of what to do. It’s a lemon/lemonade thing. I located a replacement switch which was darn difficult and only because of Audiokarma did I find one. If you have one or any amount of these switches, guard them with your life. Anyway it would be a many hour job to pull all the solder connects and redo them (Tom was afraid for my bill). In my research I had read that it was possible to slip the entire shaft out of the wafer construction of the switch. I approached Tom with the idea and he scratched his chin and said “yeah that might work”. Well it did and very well. Included some pix of the new switch and the old shaft along with the hardware so that you can get an idea of how it works. It’s pretty slick and saved my wallet from lots of pain.
It’s all back together and working well. I have a ground (maybe) problem that I have to find. Seems to have something to do with the DAC. As you can see from the pix my main play is through ITunes. I have a mini Mac that is dedicated to music and runs to the DAC then to the amp. I’m way behind as far as apps and ways to play music but I’m catching up. Really enjoy be able to just hit a button for music and it goes forever. When I want to listen to albums I’ll do that too. The tape player is pretty much just for fun. It may have to go one day to make room for something else like clean power.
I’ll include a link after the pics for a vid of my ground/buzz/whatever problem in case you beautiful minds out there want to chime in.
Good day all.

A9_B820_CF-77_FC-4839-_A905-0_B7_C6078690_F.jpg

7_E27_A8_D2-_F419-4_E00-9_F9_C-_DCCD38_D7_E3_DA.jpg

5_BF153_AC-134_B-4_F7_B-_B8_BB-4_DF8_F1014861.jpg

61965682-3_B11-4_B8_A-93_BC-65_B77_F7_C5090.jpg

1524_B0_A7-5_F14-4_BCE-_BC64-_CB79861_D3_AE8.jpg

Here’s the vid link.

Last edited:
How about grounding that unit to the ground screw on the back of the 2325 (if you're not using a turntable)? it sounds like a grounding problem.
Another thought, is the metal case reinstalled on the 2325? The bottom grill has to be on there or the 2325 inherently buzzes. Something about the bottom grill completing the ground.

Last edited:
I am using a tt but that does bring up a question.
Can you ground more than 1 unit to the ground lug?

Hi gents and ladies
Well I got my 2325 back from Tom Ishimoto. Love that guy.
It was quite a restoration and took a while to get all the parts to rebuild. Below you can see some of the replaced parts. I only include them to show you how roached the light bulb housing was. I ended up buying one of the 3D printed housings on eBay. It worked great.

Woah! I think that's the worst housing I've ever seen.

Found my buzz.
It was actually DAC related as I thought. I had the cheaper of the Schiit DACs the Modi 2 Uber. I’m guessing that being cheaper means it doesn’t have any protection as far as signals interfering with it (in the pics notice it is very close to my Directv receiver). I have a friend that has way to much gear (which is probably just enough). He has loaned me a rather expensive DAC also from Schiit, the Gungnir with the Multibit upgrade. With this DAC I can take full advantage of the full 24 bit/192khz from my computer. And just like that, I have to have it. What a difference. I’m a believer.
I’m not an engineer so most of you prolly know what I’m talking about better than I do but it’s really amazing when you can hear all the music. And I haven’t gotten into the huge file stuff yet.
As I told my friend, I’m building a condo in the rabbit hole.
Anyway the 2325 sounds fantastic. My system is quiet and my wallet is getting lighter. What else is new.

Back
Top Bottom