First Pioneer quad receiver...and a question.

ekmanning5

Time has told me...
I picked up a Pioneer QX-4000 quad receiver on Friday. I probably overpaid, but it's the first quad receiver I've seen in the 4 or 5 years I've been on this endless quest, so that's ok. Everything looks and works fine on it, and so far it sounds fabulous through a pair of Koss headphones. Here's my question; How about speakers? Is it better to use 4 matching or is that not a concern. I have two sets of the Smaller Advents (all needing a refoam BTW), and was wondering if they would be a good match. I read somewhere that the Small Advents need a good dose of power. I think the QX-4000 only puts out about 10 wpc. On the back of the receiver where the speaker plugs go (ugh!) is a symbol that says...4 ohm~16 ohm. What's that mean? Anyone here have either of these pieces and can maybe steer me in the right direction?

How about speakers? Is it better to use 4 matching or is that not a concern?
Congratulations on your purchase of your Pioneer QX-4000 receiver. In my experience four matching speakers will give the best results when using a quadraphonic system.

I have two sets of the Smaller Advents (all needing a refoam BTW), and was wondering if they would be a good match. I read somewhere that the Small Advents need a good dose of power. I think the QX-4000 only puts out about 10 wpc. On the back of the receiver where the speaker plugs go (ugh!) is a symbol that says...4 ohm~16 ohm. What's that mean?
After the Small Advents are refoamed give it a try. Whether or not the result will sound good may depend on just how loudly you like to listen to your tunes and the size of your room. You may be amazed at just how much volume you will get out of your QX-4000 and Advent speakers. If it does not play loud enough, then you will know that you need speakers with a greater sensitivity.

On the back of the receiver where the speaker plugs go (ugh!) is a symbol that says...4 ohm~16 ohm. What's that mean?
The 4 ohm~16 ohm means that you can safely use any speaker with a rated nominal impedance of between four and sixteen ohms.

OK, EK, here's my 2 cents. In 1972 I bought a Pioneer QX-949 and 4 CS-99a speakers. It sounded great with the 4 CS-99as, but the rear channels were more for ambient sound except when it was in discrete mode. Plenty of power to the rear but most of the bass was in the front two speakers.
I traded it in on a Marantz in 1979. I recently got another from Whsh93a the led man,and I have it paired with 2 front Angstrom Omega 205 speakers and in the rear I have two Bose 301s. Same room as the original QX-949 and it sounds better than I remember. The smaller Bose 301s give it just the right ambient concert hall sound in RM and SQ. I think you can do fine with two different sets. It just matters more how you adjust the quad output and how much power the unit puts out. I used the same speaker setup with my Marantz 4240 which was restored by CATRAFTER and it was perfect for the space I have.

Heh, bringing up an old thread. Wondering how you ultimately liked the QX4000. I love mine, especially after I had it serviced. Matrix decoding isn't the best, so I put a Sony SQD-2070 (Full logic SQ decoder) on the tape loop. That gave me quite a bit more front-to-back separation. Still not great, but not bad by any means.

Compared to my other receivers, this puts out a very warm, almost tube-like sound. I'm driving a quad of mini advents, just like you intended, mounted on bookshelves. Curious if after using it for a while, you have the same love for this receiver as I do :)

I've actually got two of these beauties!

Charles.

I've had a QX-949 in the stable in the past. What a beast! Not much room under the hood either! Sonically, very close to the x2x and x3x lineup. Because of it's added versatility in being able to run 4 pair of speakers , two tape decks, extra dolby inputs (good for eq) etc. It has my vote for best and most under the radar Pioneer ever!

Back
Top Bottom